Accents

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Growing up in a mining village ave heard tons of accents. Some nice to listen to others not so. But ave got to say although the east country accent is lovely and soft to hear. Is there any English language in it. Am struggling with it ?
Thoughts on accents please.
Oh and good to be in a pub.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I was born in Leicester and, thankfully, moved away many years ago before I could develop the accent. It’s awful.

If you’re from Birmingham the accent identifies you as from that general area. Same goes for Liverpool, Manchester and many other cities.

If you are unlucky enough to talk broad Leicester, nobody knows you’re from Leicester.

You just sound as thick as pig ?.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Growing up in a mining village ave heard tons of accents. Some nice to listen to others not so. But ave got to say although the east country accent is lovely and soft to hear. Is there any English language in it. Am struggling with it ?
Bristolian once had a loose relationship to Indo European or English but over time it has bifurcated into a unique language in a similar way to Sanskrit.

Cheers Drive.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
New Castle (deliberate!) accent can be wonderful to listen to - provided it's not OTT.
Belfast one is the one that grates most with me - closely followed by Beermingham and Liverpoo (again sic) ones!
My own (Kiwi) has been described (by Sam Niell to Michael Parkinson quoting Dame Ngaio Marsh) as 'Queen's English spoken with the tongue sitting on the bottom of the mouth like a dead fish!' cf Aussie 'Gruff English spoken while constantly squeenting (sic) from the sun'.
Some of the 'best to my ear' are those from some parts of Scotland. I'm not sure which, but certainly not Glasgow - which rates nearly as bad as Belfast for me!

Last edited:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Accents are fine but writing like you speak is not. ?

The Glasgow ned style accent is horrific.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Accents are fine but writing like you speak is not. ?

The Glasgow ned style accent is horrific.
cac3435584c299091e51496f32d96a683ffaa144.jpg

I agree though. Seeing people write in accents.....

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We used to have a carrier driver who texted in a strong NE accent. It was comedy gold ?

I like accents but there seems to be a balance of the universe issue with them. For every lovely one there has to be one that grates as well.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
What I will say is there's a train of thought that the further north you go the more friendly folk are. I have got to say ( no ave ?) that the folk ave met up to yet ha e been really polite, esp the one who told me £10 had fell out of me pocket.

Last edited:

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I love accents, I love trying to guess where people are from based on there accent. I once made the mistake of calling a lad from Sunderland a Geordie:oops:
I was born in Southampton but moved to Liverpool at 5 years old, before moving back down south a good few years later. I talk with a full Hampshire ('aaampshirre) accent, however when I go back up north to visit friends I automatically slip back into scouse, which the mrs finds hilarious and frustrating in equal measures!:ROFLMAO:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I was born in Leicester and, thankfully, moved away many years ago before I could develop the accent. It’s awful.

If you’re from Birmingham the accent identifies you as from that general area. Same goes for Liverpool, Manchester and many other cities.

If you are unlucky enough to talk broad Leicester, nobody knows you’re from Leicester.

You just sound as thick as pig ?.

Thank you. :p

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Sadly true. But if you’re an ex-Ullesthorpe member, I’m sure you’ve dodged the worst of the affliction ?

I always think of the Leicester accent as more a lazy way of speaking rather than a proper accent, shortened words and sentences etc, I can't defend it.

Try watching one of my YouTube videos to see how bad I have it, I try and speak clearly but the Leicester "accent" comes back pretty regularly.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Coming from Widnes, we had a distinct accent even though we are between Liverpool and Manchester. Mine has mellowed a little having dealt with people all over the world and also now living in Scotland, but I know that if I returned home and spoke to other Widnesians, my accent would slip soon enough.