Accents

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods šŸ™„
Visit site
My relaxation at the weekends is a regional accent šŸ˜¬

Not sure if this is a random irritation or not, but I hate it on the TV or radio when the word community is pronounced ā€œcommunieeeeā€. I think itā€™s a young persons thang, or people attempting to appear ā€œstreetā€, not really accent related, but I feel much better getting it off my chest.

Thank you for listening šŸ‘

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My relaxation at the weekends is a regional accent šŸ˜¬

Not sure if this is a random irritation or not, but I hate it on the TV or radio when the word community is pronounced ā€œcommunieeeeā€. I think itā€™s a young persons thang, or people attempting to appear ā€œstreetā€, not really accent related, but I feel much better getting it off my chest.

Thank you for listening šŸ‘
It's another missing T moment šŸ¤¬

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
The Leicester accent comes in for stick, but did you know that the warring Anglo-Saxons and Vikings in Leicestershire helped shape modern English by putting aside their differences.
Typical Leicester:
Aya guwin uptaarn? - are you going to town?
Eh up me duck - good day madam/sir

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hobbit will know this but asking a Spanish person. ā€œ Have you a sheet for the bed?ā€

They are unable to pronounce ee and it usually is pronounced as an ā€˜Iā€™

We find it amusing

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Iā€™m afraid I get rather irritated by the slovenly habit some have when pronouncing ā€˜toā€™ as ā€™tiā€™ - including some notable political figures of recent high office. I donā€™t think its associated with any particular accent or dialect - but just laziness.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've noticed many now pronounce words ending in 'ies'. as 'ees'
Baybees, strawbrees, communitees etc as to the way Ive used : Babiz strawberriz, communitiz etc.

You wouldn't say Triees for tries or is it just down to my south west accent.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My initial strong dislike of the West of Scotland use of 'yoose' as in yoose yins was tempered by a conversation with my grandson who informed me it was the Scottish plural for you, as there is no plural of you I tend to see it in a new light.
Might make new word of the year in 2024. ;)

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've noticed many now pronounce words ending in 'ies'. as 'ees'
Baybees, strawbrees, communitees etc as to the way Ive used : Babiz strawberriz, communitiz etc.
Good to know I'm not in my seventies. I'm either in my seventees or seventiz.

Why does the Geordie accent sound more Welsh than Scottish?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
My initial strong dislike of the West of Scotland use of 'yoose' as in yoose yins was tempered by a conversation with my grandson who informed me it was the Scottish plural for you, as there is no plural of you I tend to see it in a new light.
Might make new word of the year in 2024. ;)
However it is spelled (spelt), yous, yooz or yoose, it is alive and well in several areas of England. Tyneside and Merseyside in particular.

Referring to oneself as plural is fairly widespread as in, "Give us it."

Similarly, addressing a single person as plural occurs, "Yooz'll get wrong" meaning you may be reprimanded.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
However it is spelled (spelt), yous, yooz or yoose, it is alive and well in several areas of England. Tyneside and Merseyside in particular.

Referring to oneself as plural is fairly widespread as in, "Give us it."

Similarly, addressing a single person as plural occurs, "Yooz'll get wrong" meaning you may be reprimanded.
Yooz is standard in liverpool, I don't hear it up here šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø. It goes through me every time when I do hear it, big family in liverpool and they say it all the time šŸ˜¬

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Ah hord "yooz" cummin oot the mooths of gadgies ahl the time in the pubs doon the Toon.

Forty year ago, mind. Perhaps it has deed oot.

Last edited: