Absolute game changer

Captain_Black.

Visit site
So I'm getting older & starting to slow down a bit (swing wise)
Up until last year, all my clubs we're regular shafts (Ping i210 irons (95g steel shafts) & G410 woods)

This year I've changed to Mizuno JPX 923 irons / 2x Paradym hybrids & Rogue woods.
All senior shafts (graphite)

I've had them since December, but only since the ground has started to dry up with warmer weather have I been able to evaluate them properly.

I thought maybe I'd lose a little distance, but to my surprise it looks as though I've gained a few yards.
The real bonus however has been the extra height & fabulous straight flight.
My course is all about being in the right place off the tee, as it's easy to get blocked out & wasting an opportunity to go for the green.
Also, our greens are quite firm, so height going into them is a must if you want the ball to stop.

If your over 60, don't be afraid to try a senior shaft, the results may really surprise you.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m 66 now and just judging by my regular pps I am losing length.
I have a minus aoa so my ball flight is quite low with driver. So wet fairways don’t help.
Am thinking of going to regular from stiff but my SS was 95mph so fitter was happy with stiff.

Had a recent fitting for irons and got stiff 95 nippon neo shafts.
I feel on good days they suit me.
But on bad days they are harder to control.( that’s golf though.)
I might buy a cheap set of regs to try out.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I have a minus aoa so my ball flight is quite low with driver. So wet fairways don’t help.
Am thinking of going to regular from stiff but my SS was 95mph so fitter was happy with stiff.

My ss with a driver is 85 / 89 mph
I've kept my regular shafted clubs as a spare set, as I can still play pretty well with them.

Where I've found the biggest bonus since changing to senior graphite apart from the very welcome extra height is that my swing feels much smoother.
I can swing slower (it feels about 75%)
The strike is better because I'm not going after it & it appears that I haven't lost any distance compared to my regular shafted set.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
At 60 I'm fortunate to still have a bit of speed left but I've dropped from stiff graphite to regular without losing distance or feel.
I'm in graphite due to elbow pain but even if I lose the pain I won't be going back to steel.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk

Did you get the stiff shafts because they were recommended, or because you've always used them?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
So I'm getting older & starting to slow down a bit (swing wise)
Up until last year, all my clubs we're regular shafts (Ping i210 irons (95g steel shafts) & G410 woods)

This year I've changed to Mizuno JPX 923 irons / 2x Paradym hybrids & Rogue woods.
All senior shafts (graphite)

I've had them since December, but only since the ground has started to dry up with warmer weather have I been able to evaluate them properly.

I thought maybe I'd lose a little distance, but to my surprise it looks as though I've gained a few yards.
The real bonus however has been the extra height & fabulous straight flight.
My course is all about being in the right place off the tee, as it's easy to get blocked out & wasting an opportunity to go for the green.
Also, our greens are quite firm, so height going into them is a must if you want the ball to stop.

If your over 60, don't be afraid to try a senior shaft, the results may really surprise you.
When I got fitted for my irons (I was late 50's at the time), I never considered a graphite shaft but at the fitting there was a real improvement in performance when I tried the UST Recoil. Not so much longer but much more consistent in terms of direction. Something I hadn't considered with graphite. I moved to them and haven't regretted the change. I think there is still some who consider that they should be hitting stiff steel shafts. Maybe it's a macho thing. ;)
Graphite technology has moved on considerably and the modern shafts are definitely worth a look at.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The choice of shafts for me is whatever they are when I buy them, basically nil.

I guess I could re-shaft but for me that would ruin the club and the ethos of playing old gear, so I just go with whatever is in them.

Mostly that's regular, which compared to today's shafts is probably nearer stiff, but today I played 9 holes with an early 1950s set of ladies irons with ladies shafts, apart from them being a bit short I managed fine and scored around what I'd usually score.

I'm mid sixties age-wise.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did you get the stiff shafts because they were recommended, or because you've always used them?
I had a Callaway fitting on our practice ground. Pro v1 balls off grass!
Got apex CB these shafts just gave the best results on the day.
I am very happy with the clubs .

Driver I have always had stiff and I am usually very straight but my bad shot is a push
it’s this I’m questioning my two pp I play a lot with have both dropped to regular ,one has picked up 10 yds.
There 10 yrs younger as well so not under any illusions my swing is not what it was .

AAC

Visit site
I am late 60's and switched to graphite UST recoil shafts (regular) a couple of years ago, I have scoliosis in my spine and arthritis in my right wrist, whilst I still get pain in both I honestly think the switch has slowed down the pain and will hopefully give me an extra year or two playing. Additionally there has been no noticeable drop off in distance in irons or woods.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am late 60's and switched to graphite UST recoil shafts (regular) a couple of years ago, I have scoliosis in my spine and arthritis in my right wrist, whilst I still get pain in both I honestly think the switch has slowed down the pain and will hopefully give me an extra year or two playing. Additionally there has been no noticeable drop off in distance in irons or woods.
I have arthritis in my left wrist but have been using a bionic relax grip glove ( conforming for comp play).
It’s excellent and does help.