Aaaarrgggghhhhhh!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Day 6 of not smoking and I'm climbing the walls!

Apparently you're supposed to be able to taste better by now, well everything tastes worse! Even a cuppa tastes weird, hot and sweet it used to be... now I can taste the tea leaves! Yuk!

I haven't gone cold turkey I'm using the lozenges - I wonder if they can give you mouth cancer :D

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Keep at it JustOneUK. You'll climb the walls for a bit but it does get easier. It's easy to say, but take one day at a time - think "I shall not have a smoke today" (as thinking "I'll never have a ciggie again" is just too depressing).

Don't become a non-smoker - become a smoker who is between smokes. Today is day 639 since my last ciggie - tomorrow can take care of itself.

PS - if you really need a fix, stand downwind of people smoking at bus stops

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Keep at it JustOneUK. You'll climb the walls for a bit but it does get easier. It's easy to say, but take one day at a time - think "I shall not have a smoke today" (as thinking "I'll never have a ciggie again" is just too depressing).

Don't become a non-smoker - become a smoker who is between smokes. Today is day 639 since my last ciggie - tomorrow can take care of itself.

PS - if you really need a fix, stand downwind of people smoking at bus stops

Yes, become a non smoker.

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Day 8 for me today. Yes its very hard not having a cig, but think of all the money we'll have to spend on golf gear next summer. Thats what wifey tells me anyway.
Good luck, I've no finger nails left!

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
I will try to support you by keeping it down to about 6 rollups during our round on Thursday James.

;)

Watch it Smiffy, if he's still off the ciggies, he'll be following you very closely. :D :D

Well done James, keep it up.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I will try to support you by keeping it down to about 6 rollups during our round on Thursday James.

;)

If you're only smoking 6 rollups then what are you going to do when you get to the 2nd hole?

I have patted myself down a couple of times looking for my ciggies, a few times I've gone into the garden then wondered WTF I was doing standing there like a plum, played a round of golf which was weird considering that I normally smoke one per hole (normally in the time it takes Smiffy to do his pre-shot routine).

Amazing the mind tricks you start to play on yourself too... it's not like I even wanted to give up :D

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Played a round of golf which was weird considering that I normally smoke one per hole (normally in the time it takes Smiffy to do his pre-shot routine).

At least I have a bloody club in my hand and am ready to go when I stand on the tee..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It may not be the right one mind you

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would recommend for all you chaps giving up. Put the money you would have spent on ciggies in a savings account. I didn't and 3 years on, I don't feel I have any extra money or have saved anything.......

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
James, if you get the urge, carry a long white plastic tee around and suck on it till the craving goes.
I'm down to 20 tees a day now :)

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Amazing the mind tricks you start to play on yourself too... it's not like I even wanted to give up

That's probably the best way to do it.

Went to work one day with just enough baccie for 3 decent roll ups. Didn't have enough cash on me to buy some more so just put off the time I rolled up the next one. Goodness knows how many years I've put off rolling that ciggy now.

Keep up the good work. All you are doing is not smoking 1 cigarette - the next one.

Simples :)

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
JOUK.

I wish you good luck.

I decided to do a publicised quit a few months ago. The support on here was fantastic. I just went cold turkey, no patches, no lozenges, etc.

I'm now smoking again! Not as much as used to, except on the golf course!

I did (apparently!) get very short tempered, according to the wife, I certainly piled on a few pounds, and I was trying to set up the business. Not a good recipe for continuing the quit. Consequetly I failed.

I wish you all the best, and stick with it. I wish I had, but for my wife's and my sanity, I started again! Pathetic excuse really; I know.

Good luck.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Thanks for the encouraging words everyone, appreciated :)

James, if you get the urge, carry a long white plastic tee around and suck on it till the craving goes.
I prefer the wooden ones as the plastic ones just melt when you light them :p

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
to successfully give up you have to be selfish; quit for your own reasons, no-one elses.

it usually takes longer than a week for your tastes to change but I guess it would depend on how much you smoked; it took a long time with me but I was keeping Wills, Gallaghers, Sobranie, B&H, Players and the rest in business single-handed.

you'll know you're on the way when your sense of smell comes back and you find yourself leaving a queue because you can't stand the smell then realise that's how your clothes/hair/breath must have smelt.