Pleased with a new PB today

soulfeller

Hacker
Visit site
After trying to play this game for 45 years on & off(mainly off), but, for the last 3 years I've been playing regularly with a lot of ups & downs. I was improving, until a couple of months ago when a combination of lessons(changed swing etc) & new custom fitted clubs I've been a bit hot & cold. When I hit my new irons well I get 30 ish yards more than my old ones, but a bit inconsistent. Then I started slicing the irons, something I'd never done before, and slicing my new forgiving! driver worse than ever(wasted £250?). So last week I had another lesson, and my pro told me my backswing was too steep and I was coming over the ball. So after a few balls on the range I had my first round today, and almost couldn't go wrong. I beat my 2 regular playing partners for the first time and hit a 86. I did 3 putt too many times from birdy opportunities. Lost one ball on the 17th after thinking to myself "you haven't lost a ball today" and instead of slicing into the water running alongside the fairway, pulled it left & OOB!. The short 18th over water with a bunker to the left of the green, put it into the bunker. Last time I was putting a score together, I caught it heavy out of the bunker into the bushes at the back. This time up & down for a par. great round with 2, 280 yard drives(don't you love the summer). My vanity handicap is now 20(I don't put all the bad rounds into the online tracker). Problem is, I don't really play competitively, but next week I'm playing in a work "Ryder Cup" matchplay event Portsmouth Vs S**thampton. Lets hope it continues!!!

Sorry for rambling.

Paul