A to Z E.D.M.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of my favourite sets and the one that got me into the harder side of dance.

My mates older brother went to the Big Bang and got the video. I was mesmerised.

Me and a mate managed a couple of Fantazia/Dreamscape events before it went Happy Hardcore which I was never into.

Most of our group were into more commercial dance in the 90s. So we tended to go to clubs playing that and house music.
We did have a local club that had two floors. Which moved from disco and house, to techno/ hard house and commercial danc in the mid 90s. Which was great as it kept everyone happy.

I was at the Big Bang too. As a young East Coaster it was my first time in the SECC and it was only my second all nighter after Rez had held 'The Event' in August of 1993.
Rez was unbelievable with Prodigy, GTO, Sonz of a Loop da Loop Era as well as Coxy, Producer, Frank de Wulf and Lenny Dee.

I found the Big Bang to be a bit less intense and (this is just my opinion) Fantazia didn't really understand the Scottish audience at the time as breakbeat was not the preferred sound up here with bouncy techno the big thing. The line up was waay too breakbeat oriented for me and this actually reached a head with the Rat Pack being booed and water bottles chucked at them.

The premise and the organisation was very good, I just felt they misjudged the sound and the audience where Rezerection had absolutely nailed it by also including some proper hardcore acts (GTO were mental).

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Liking the sound of "bouncy Tartan Techno" - when time permits do pop a couple up ?

One of my favourite examples of the bouncy sound of Tartan Techno. Q-Tex were massive (as was anything Scott Brown related) but it was always the E-Creation remixes that got the headlines on EPs but tracks like Generations, Trip to The Hyperdome and Overdrive were superior and under-rated IMO.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not a YT link for this one, but been listening to quite a bit of Night Sky on Spotify. Like Andy Blueman (Andrej Komatovic), Henning Berg (AKA Night Sky) is also a producer of epic "cinematic" type score but has returned to Trance production and has some decent uplifting and progressive efforts.

Airborne was a decent enough track when released last year but he has applied some spit and polish to it and the result is pretty impressive. It's a powerful and emotive result with a very good build-up and an almost choral/orchestral breakdown and has me very impressed.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Maybe less "tartan" than you are imagining ? (not quite Acid Folk by Perplexer).

It was a phrase coined by the late, great Tom Wilson (RIP) who, through his 'Steppin Out' radio show on Forth FM, introduced the East of Scotland and the North East of England to the first strains of dance music outside the realms of the popular charts.

His Saturday night broadcast had people driving across the border to Jedburgh and Kelso just to get reception to listen and he brought us the introduction of Ultra Sonic, QFX, Q-Tex, Suburban Delay and the Italo Style that was also big at the time.

Loads of new talent was emerging and Scotland found itself at the forefront of the push towards 4/4 beat becoming huge where the breakbeat sound dominated down South. This Scottish talent (along with a big bloke from Newcastle called Guy Kneeling AKA Bass Generator) gave us a unique and bouncy sound that was lighter than the Dutch Gabber that was also making its way over with Holy Noise, Rotterdam Termination Source and Human Resource leading the charge.

Tom started to refer to our homegrown sound as Tartan Techno and from there it explodes with Scott Brown (and his many, many aliases) smashing tunes out along with Gordon Tennant (GT Sampler), Marc Smith and the aforementioned Bassy G.

1994 through 1997 saw some amazing stuff come out of this tiny country until the breakbeat down South died off and was being replaced by 4/4 sound of Happy Hardcore.

This started a schism in the scene with a divide that would eventually cause the scene to dwindle.
Hixxy and his Essential Platinum crew dominated but the sound was limited and was always going to be confined by how similar a lot sounded.

Sharkey tried to create a breakaway 'Freeform' genre of almost trancecore like style with Eclipse, Fury and Helix amongst the pioneers. It is a style that still sounds fresh today because it was so far ahead of its time.

The scene eventually died due to police and political pressure to close clubs and events down.

No idea why I went on that little trip down memory lane/lecture... ?

But Tartan Techno was a great sound and properly bounce your body bouncy...
Forgot I hadn't replied.
Ha ha, everyone needs a bit of Acid Folk by Perplexer every once in a while. Brought a smile ?

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
No idea how I stumbled on this....

And Greig, I know there's a fair bit of knob fiddling going on ? but I'll forgive him for not strapping a couple of SLs to the trike - especially with the potholes in the UK! ?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
No idea how I stumbled on this....

And Greig, I know there's a fair bit of knob fiddling going on ? but I'll forgive him for not strapping a couple of SLs to the trike - especially with the potholes in the UK! ?

That is the strangest thing I have ever seen (next to Techno Viking that is) fair play to him but thats a risky past time ?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

Little bit different, lot more accessible but absolute classic from 2011's "You Once Told Me" Album.

Reminder of how absolutely amazing Mavie Marcos really is, and how under-rated Andain were for their broad spectrum of sounds.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was at the Big Bang too. As a young East Coaster it was my first time in the SECC and it was only my second all nighter after Rez had held 'The Event' in August of 1993.
Rez was unbelievable with Prodigy, GTO, Sonz of a Loop da Loop Era as well as Coxy, Producer, Frank de Wulf and Lenny Dee.

I found the Big Bang to be a bit less intense and (this is just my opinion) Fantazia didn't really understand the Scottish audience at the time as breakbeat was not the preferred sound up here with bouncy techno the big thing. The line up was waay too breakbeat oriented for me and this actually reached a head with the Rat Pack being booed and water bottles chucked at them.

The premise and the organisation was very good, I just felt they misjudged the sound and the audience where Rezerection had absolutely nailed it by also including some proper hardcore acts (GTO were mental).
Lol i was there that nite also and remember that.
im from saltcoats and was a metro regualr, they brought in KWS with please dont go, cracking tune but when they came on and sang it for the second time and there third song, bottles were thrown and told please go!!!