A to Z E.D.M.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a DVD rip (remember those) thats decent quality.
Hackers was never about being a serious film with a serious message. It was just knock about fun with, what was at the time, cutting edge technology and a subculture few did, and still don't really, understand.

And with a banging soundtrack ?
I actually have a DVD but was wondering if it’s available now in 4K UHD and Atmos :)

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thought I'd give this thread a Rezerection (see what I did there?)

Been listening to turn of the century classics (well from 98ish to 01ish) whilst working.

Today's playlist featured

Der Dritte Raum - Hale Bop
Timo Maas - Der Schieber (Mix I)
Airscape - L'Esperanza (Armin's Rising Star Mix) [Which does actually sound very Parisian]
Ayla - Angel Falls (Elemental Force Mix) [Which probably has the most serene ever piano intro]
Dutch Force - Deadline

Kamaya Painters - Summerbreeze

And also a couple of mid 2000's numbers

DJ Shah Feat. Adrina Thorpe - Who Will Find Me [just a wonderful, wonderfully arranged track]
DJ Tatana - Butterfly
Roger Shah - Summer Days (from the Openminded Album)

And of course a couple that are not of the feint of heart

Twins Artcore - Girls
Immutek - Tidal Waves

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok, so today, I am continuing the old is good theme and my day will be soundtracked by;

Activa - Release Me (Danjo & Styles Mix)
Airbase - Escape (2011 Album Re-Edit)
Gareth Emery Feat. Roxanne Emery - Too Dark Tonight [brilliant Piano work from Ms. Emery]
GTR - Mistral (Original Mix)
Heatbeat - Nebula
Signum - What Ya Got 4 Me (12" Extended Mix)
Leama - Melodica (Original Mix) [just shy of 13 minutes of decent trance]
Petibonum - Little Prince
Outback - State of Emergency (Draft2Design Mix)
Safri Duo - Played Alive (Airscape Remix)
System F - Lost in Motion

For something more laid back

Tiesto - Battleship Grey
Armin van Buuren - Burned With Desire
Tydi Feat Audrey Gallagher - Worlds Apart
Tydi - Ariana
Above & Beyond - Tri-State
System F - Insolation
Above & Beyond - Home

And not for the feint hearted

Ectomorph - Beginning of The End
Assym - Twilight Waves
Angerfist - Pennywise
The Playah - On The Edge
G-Town Madness & The Viper - Live a Lie

Last edited:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Adding to this as the sole occupant I think :D

Another that hit the playlist today, and was on my original list back at I (but it really is THAT good}

Imogen Heap & Tiesto - Hide & Seek (Tiesto's ISoS Remix)

Anyone that watched Lost on Sky One back in the day will recognise it as the advert "theme" Sky used (the "original" version).

Probably the last good thing Tijs Verwest did before selling out and becoming a Miami Schill.

The vocals are brilliantly sung by Heap, which often masks the absolute nonsense that they actually are.

Lines such as "The dust has only begun to form crop circles in the carpet...." and "Oily marks appear on walls where pleasure moments hung before the takeover...."

But, they work. And they work well. with the chorus sweeping around again after some excellent synth and pad work from Tijs.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
YouTube algorithm brought me this tonight:

Aforementioned on this thread, soo good live!

There's a surprising number of "new" artists coming through that are heavily, heavily influenced by the early 90's vibe. It's refreshing to hear as so many "established" artists drift towards the populist and trashy "EDM" sound.

Soul, I think is the key that's missing from many current cookie-cutter type tracks. Just get them out as quickly as possible with no possibly emotional attachment.

You can tell Glue was written and developed with emotion towards the structure, the tempo, the layering and the final edit. Getting too rare these days.

A track that springs to mind for having the same "old" feel but with the same level of thought is Silence Groove's "Air Up There" - albeit from 2012, it feels like it's been around a lot longer.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Came across (belatedly) DJ Matt Handy doing live mixes on the OldSkool FB page.
Quite happy also popping some scratching in over dance tracks which appeals as was a DMC fan back in the day.
Mind you, does bring home what talent is - the gap is similar to my golf ability compared to professionals ! ?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
There's a surprising number of "new" artists coming through that are heavily, heavily influenced by the early 90's vibe. It's refreshing to hear as so many "established" artists drift towards the populist and trashy "EDM" sound.

Soul, I think is the key that's missing from many current cookie-cutter type tracks. Just get them out as quickly as possible with no possibly emotional attachment.

You can tell Glue was written and developed with emotion towards the structure, the tempo, the layering and the final edit. Getting too rare these days.

A track that springs to mind for having the same "old" feel but with the same level of thought is Silence Groove's "Air Up There" - albeit from 2012, it feels like it's been around a lot longer.
Very dreamy.
I still want to alter the thread title! But haven't come up with anything better - answers on a postcard ?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I only "discovered" this track through this thread and it really grew on me.
Only thing about the video, and I guess I don't have the context, is the crowd. Seemed a bit odd to an 'old clubber'

Its the insistence on filming everything instead of just remembering it. Makes clib nights and events feel sterile.

I went to Defqon.1 over in Utrecht in 2015 and they had a camera/phone ban in place and the result was everyone got on with enjoying the weekend.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Spent today listening to the Classical Trancelations albums.

Peter Lowland takes classics like Seven Cities, 1998, Cafe del Mar and Synaesthesia and reworks them with a full orchestra.

Also the Album of the same name by Dutch composer Jan Vayne and producer Armin van Buuren where classical music is reworked by trance producers. Some are superb, some questionable.

Fred Baker's reworking of Pachelbel's Canon in D and Alucard's "Laments of the Lost" based on Bach's Toccata & Fugue