a round of golf with a pro

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having watched Faldo and Lyle both of whom were not renowned for their humour playing Royal Wimbledon with just them, their caddies and a handful of spectators and no ropes so being able to chat with them between shots (and even have a go on a par 3 with Faldo's clubs) I found them a world away from their professional personas. I would have no hestitation in adding Faldo to my list.

If we were looking at retired pros there are a few I'd add. I'd love to play or have played with Seve, as my golfing hero but I'd also like to play with Trevino and perhaps a bit left field Tony Johnston. I love his commentating style and he seems able to chat about any subject with good grace and humour. Finally and for much the same reason that I like their personas how about a three ball with Radar and Beemer?

Lyle isn't good with people, but Faldo is something else. I have dealt with him off the course and I stand by my assessment.

I think Radar and Beemer would be great. I like Rob Lee and Andrew Coltart too, and Henni Zuel is always welcome.

I have met Tony Johnston and he was very down to earth. Nice bloke.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Lyle isn't good with people, but Faldo is something else. I have dealt with him off the course and I stand by my assessment.

I think Radar and Beemer would be great. I like Rob Lee and Andrew Coltart too, and Henni Zuel is always welcome.

I have met Tony Johnston and he was very down to earth. Nice bloke.

Not a fan of Coltart and he is definitely someone I think is up himself but agree with Rob Lee as another option. I think we'll agree to disagree on Faldo. I met Inci Mehmet at the British par 3 a few years back and so a female group with her, Zuel and perhaps Laura Davies (if only for the footie banter) may be fun

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
I chatted to a caddy that I knew and asked who's bag he'd least like to be on, ^^^^^^^ that was his answer ?

Interesting how different some Pro's public persona is vs reality

Saw Faldo yrs ago at Woburn where he'd been stoney faced on the course all weekend away from the heat of the competition in front of a few fans on the practice ground cracking jokes, mainly at Langer who looked like he wasnt seeing the funny side of all the wise cracks

GBC

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not a fan of Coltart and he is definitely someone I think is up himself but agree with Rob Lee as another option. I think we'll agree to disagree on Faldo. I met Inci Mehmet at the British par 3 a few years back and so a female group with her, Zuel and perhaps Laura Davies (if only for the footie banter) may be fun

Faldo switches on the charm when it suits him, but it is fake. I will tell you someday if we ever meet in person why I can't stand him.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Having had dinner and a chance to think, got to find a spot of Harrington. I was suppose to go to Dublin with GM to meet him and get fitted for FJ shoes but my mother got rushed to hospital with a heart attack. Spoke to Mike, made my apologies and thought no more of it. Sitting at home and the mobile went. It was HawkeyeMS (for those who remember him) number but when I answered there was a different voice - Harrington. He spoke to me for about 10 minutes asking about my mum, my golf etc. Didn't have to take the time out as these promotional days can be a bit full on but he was a touch of class.

Decided I am going:
Round 1 (Sunningdale Old)
Harrington
Radar
Lee

Round 2 (Sunningdale New)
Johnston
Beemer
Sulliivan

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having had dinner and a chance to think, got to find a spot of Harrington. I was suppose to go to Dublin with GM to meet him and get fitted for FJ shoes but my mother got rushed to hospital with a heart attack. Spoke to Mike, made my apologies and thought no more of it. Sitting at home and the mobile went. It was HawkeyeMS (for those who remember him) number but when I answered there was a different voice - Harrington. He spoke to me for about 10 minutes asking about my mum, my golf etc. Didn't have to take the time out as these promotional days can be a bit full on but he was a touch of class.

Decided I am going:
Harrington
Radar
Lee

Johnston
Beemer
Sulliivan

Harrington is a genuine guy. Met him at Dublin Airport at the luggage carousel one Sunday evening and realised he was just back from a Euro Tour event. Asked him how he got on and he started to tell me, in more detail than I expected, and he was chatting so much he missed his luggage coming past and had to wait while it went for another lap.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've heard the complete opposite from a British Open winner ?‍♂️
He can't be faking setting up a tour for kids and his continuous good humour as a commentator.
He's just a golfer, a human, nobody's perfect.

Well, being a commentator is a well paid job, and the Tour for kids satisfies a number of personal and professional objectives.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Hey,

If you had to play a round with somebody outside of the top 20, who would you pick and why?
While the current ranking gives a lot of choice of European tour players I think I would pick Jason Day. I don’t really have a why, he just seems like a nice bloke. I was actually surprised he isn’t top 20 anymore.
Or Kaymer, he lives close to my brother.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Golfers aren't performing monkeys.
Everyone wants a piece of them 24/7 and will base their opinion of them for decades afterwards based on a fleeting meeting.

Well in fact, I dealt with Faldo over a period of about 2 years, not basing my opinion on a fleeting meeting or fleeting word with an unnamed pro who may have been being polite or discreet, and with whom you would expect him to have a different relationship. He was fine during the hole I played with him at the corporate, it was something different later that caused a serious problem. I will have a think about posting the whole story in a new thread.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Golfers aren't performing monkeys.
Everyone wants a piece of them 24/7 and will base their opinion of them for decades afterwards based on a fleeting meeting.
While I'm not a fan of Faldo (never met him so no reason to dislike him) I agree with this 100% - I know a lot of football players and the hassle they get is incredible, same goes for any kind of celeb.

There was someone on here going on about a twitter post saying that Justin Timberlake had ignored a bunch of fans at the Dunhill at Carnoustie last year - I'd photographed him maybe half an hour before and he was OK with fans - and in a twist to the tale my missus and daughter in law (who lives in Carnoustie) had taken my grand daughter for a walk down near the course and had gone to have a gawk at Justin - they didn't ask for a pic or his autograph but other people had and they said he was good as gold with the fans.

Same goes for lots of other celebs - refuse one pic or autograph because you are in a rush and they will tell everyone they know about it. Same goes for them being rude in a pub/restaurant/supermarket when being bothered.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I saw Paul Casey at Wentworth on a practice round give some Marshall's such a rollicking that if I'd have been one I'd have told him exactly what he could do and would have walked off.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Decided I am going:
Harrington
Radar
Lee

Johnston
Beemer
Sulliivan
Taking a few liberties with this hypothetical question aren't you? :LOL:

D

Deleted member 21258

Viktor Hovland seems a good guy and would make for a relaxing enjoyable round.

D

Deleted member 1147

European Tour - Sullivan is a genuine bloke, as is Howell

PGA tour - JT seems like a decent bloke, and the fact he plays a Lot with mates would suggest he is for real. Rather than some of the more media friendly/real folk less so friendly types, like Mickleson.