A ramdom boost in yardage!

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi,

As long as I have played golf my yardages have been about the same. A well struck 50* or 7 iron goes a consistent distance. This weekend I played from the back of just about every green and a long way through. One example (and it happened lots!)was our SI1 13th, water at the front of the green, good drive left me 129 yards to the pin, wind in, hit a 9 iron and ended up 30 yards past the pin off the back of the green. I hit a 6 iron 190(usual 160) leaving me 30 yards past and so on!

Any ideas what that's all about as its never happened before, I know my SS stays the same and has for years. I am not talking about pulled shots off line, I am talking about down the line of the flag but just GONE!

More asking for interest as I know for a fact that I am pretty consistent speed wise.

Ta

Alex

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi,

As long as I have played golf my yardages have been about the same. A well struck 50* or 7 iron goes a consistent distance. This weekend I played from the back of just about every green and a long way through. One example (and it happened lots!)was our SI1 13th, water at the front of the green, good drive left me 129 yards to the pin, wind in, hit a 9 iron and ended up 30 yards past the pin off the back of the green. I hit a 6 iron 190(usual 160) leaving me 30 yards past and so on!

Any ideas what that's all about as its never happened before, I know my SS stays the same and has for years. I am not talking about pulled shots off line, I am talking about down the line of the flag but just GONE!

More asking for interest as I know for a fact that I am pretty consistent speed wise.

Ta

Alex

The ball is bouncing on very very hard ground and running out the back! Youre actually carrying same distance. That or you just had a day where you flushed everything, but expect its option 1

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
The ball is bouncing on very very hard ground and running out the back! Youre actually carrying same distance. That or you just had a day where you flushed everything, but expect its option 1

Ye I recon, did you have the same? Going to have to bounce approach shots in the fairway if anything is going to get down? It was kinda pissing with rain though!!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ye I recon, did you have the same? Going to have to bounce approach shots in the fairway if anything is going to get down? It was kinda pissing with rain though!!

Yep and that made it worse, hard surface with a nice skiddy bit on top but hadnt got into the ground to soften it up much. Give you a clue I had 230 into the first (poped the hybrid tee shot high and short) and hit 7 iron front edge. Similar at 10 had 190 in hit 9 iron and ended up in the long stuff long. Down wind especially its a case of hitting knock down shots that pitch short for a bit more control (not that i seemed to have that ability saturday!).

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hmm, chatting to my bro on email about this he said... "[FONT=&quot]The wet greens had nothing to do with it, you were flying the greens!! Lol!"

Random....
[/FONT]

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've seen an increased distance on my clubs, it's just the time of year with the heat / dryness (well it is here in Surrey anyway) on the course. It's been nice seeing shots going a little further off the tee, not so positive sending balls through the green / way past the pin!!

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
could be the Earth is tilting on its summer axis so eveyrthing is playing downhill and down wind;)

Hehe, I am pretty eyes wide open when it comes to my distance, I know what your saying but this was rather out of the very ordinary. I think Fundy is on the money to some extent but for sure some of them were really getting out there.

It was fun in a way, curious in another and damn annoying to lose to the bro in law for the first time in a very long time.

This may not make a lot of sense but the club did feel very shut all day.... Not hooking but for cure not going right. Just a feel maybe not real thing.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hehe, I am pretty eyes wide open when it comes to my distance, I know what your saying but this was rather out of the very ordinary. I think Fundy is on the money to some extent but for sure some of them were really getting out there.

It was fun in a way, curious in another and damn annoying to lose to the bro in law for the first time in a very long time.

This may not make a lot of sense but the club did feel very shut all day.... Not hooking but for cure not going right. Just a feel maybe not real thing.

or you thinned everything ever so slightly!

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi,

Ta

Alex

I had exactly the same when I played in glorious hot sunshine last week. I assumed that I was better warmed up, more flexible, warm weather helps ball go further, and hard fairways and greens.

I had not considered the tilt of the earth on its axis. That will explain why I didn't put so well - I failed to allow for that when reading the green. :D

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Warm air hard ground i think , I overshot our 4th green from the blue tees today for the first time in years by about 10 yards . Usually I'm 10 yards short. long may it continue.:whoo:

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yep, it happened on and off last night again, its a little of everything mentioned to be honest. I am striking the ball well as a lot of it is carry but its also touch to get it stopped on anything at the moment. Thin air, good strikes, some new tee boxes and hard ground. and ye, long may it continue.

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi,

Ta

Alex

Hello its not you its the ground i have had the same problem also, par 3 uphill 160 usually a 7 iron it was good dry weather i felt strong went with a 8 iron, it landed 20 yards over the green i know it wasn't my extra super human strength, Its just the ground