A personal view on what has gone so so wrong with this forum

D

Deleted member 15344

The thing I notice most (and I have been on here a very long time) is that it is actually becoming far less of a golf forum. The activity on the main forum is much reduced and the out of bounds section much increased. As a result, the conversations are very much focused on topics that divide rather than the one we have in common.

I have seen it from both sides as both a former mod and then a normal user. The mod job is thankless but there seems to be less occurances that involve almost 24 hour monitoring to sort out (believe me a few all night modding sessions did happen).

The forum also does not meet anymore. The arrange a game section used to be filled with 2 or 3 people meet ups every week. Them people demanded bigger meet ups, then bigger meet ups on high end courses and then they wanted it to cost next to nothing. People relied on the same two or three people to arrange everything and took on none of the burden and never made reciprocal arrangements so that stopped.

What I have noticed is that covid has changed the forum by becoming a polarising aspect that impacts everyone. I have noticed a few people change in character and how and what they post since it started.

People have also lost the ability to debate, to accept and even compliment opposing views. To a few on here, everything is either right or wrong but then again, that is a societal thing.

This is still a great place to chat once you get the lay of the land but it has, over the years, lost that connection with Golf Monthly and the interaction that came with it and it is now just a forum that happens to have golf in its name

The drop in meets is a big shame - there have been some brilliant ones over the time

People still meet for games and there have been little trips away but there are now organised away from the forum

I think cost is one issue , with the boost in golf meets will be expensive, a lot of the regular guys that went to meets no longer post much as well

Also a lot of the organisers also don’t seem to post much as well

Hopefully one day we can have another big day or couple of days out

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
A purely personal view?

Despite loads of plugging and extremely interesting posts from me on the subject, there have been very few converts to vintage golf.
What's wrong with you people??!!o_O:eek:;)
Oh, just give them time. I'm sure other golf-crazy nutcases will appear. It is so much fun. They are missing out, though.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
A purely personal view?

Despite loads of plugging and extremely interesting posts from me on the subject, there have been very few converts to vintage golf.
I need all the help I can get with new technology

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
A purely personal view?

When I was young I could reach all of the par 3s in one, most of the par 4s in two & some of the par 5s in two. At the age of 75 I'd like to still do that & if I have to use the latest technology to do it will. Using vintage equipment is, in my view, the golfing equivalent of bearing oneself with barbed wire. I luv modern technology, I do! ?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
The thing I notice most (and I have been on here a very long time) is that it is actually becoming far less of a golf forum. The activity on the main forum is much reduced and the out of bounds section much increased. As a result, the conversations are very much focused on topics that divide rather than the one we have in common.

I have seen it from both sides as both a former mod and then a normal user. The mod job is thankless but there seems to be less occurances that involve almost 24 hour monitoring to sort out (believe me a few all night modding sessions did happen).

The forum also does not meet anymore. The arrange a game section used to be filled with 2 or 3 people meet ups every week. Them people demanded bigger meet ups, then bigger meet ups on high end courses and then they wanted it to cost next to nothing. People relied on the same two or three people to arrange everything and took on none of the burden and never made reciprocal arrangements so that stopped.

What I have noticed is that covid has changed the forum by becoming a polarising aspect that impacts everyone. I have noticed a few people change in character and how and what they post since it started.

People have also lost the ability to debate, to accept and even compliment opposing views. To a few on here, everything is either right or wrong but then again, that is a societal thing.

This is still a great place to chat once you get the lay of the land but it has, over the years, lost that connection with Golf Monthly and the interaction that came with it and it is now just a forum that happens to have golf in its name
Very good post and one I totally concur with.
I joined in 2009 purely to talk golf,play golf with others.
I travelled miles to other members clubs to play.
Golf monthly held comps and others arranged meets and I did King of Kings twice at Burnham.
Now no Golf Monthly and hardly any opportunities offered.
Don’t travel to many courses either.
I don’t see it as a Golf forum really,more of a day to day forum.
However the few meets that do get arranged by others are good meets and long may they continue.
HFH is why I stay on the forum
My respect for Rick and Richard will never wain.
The team do an amazing job and it’s so appreciated by me and many others.
I’ve met great friends on the forum and had some cracking laughs along the way.
Yes I have my moments but overall I’ve never met anyone who I wouldn’t share a round with,that includes everyone.
Let’s hope we can all get this forum jumping again.

Funt1m3

Visit site
Guys (and gals) newbie here. Just to say my last few months has been quite pleasant. Won’t post much, I’m not that interesting (?) but some good topics and a bit of fun read none the less

Shame to hear some of the meets no longer take place as would have been keen to get involved

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Certainly in the last 2 years its been harder to organise meets due to the possibility of having to cancel - both courses and players.
Not impossible as some have happened but not as many as normal.

Leftitshort

Visit site
Certainly in the last 2 years its been harder to organise meets due to the possibility of having to cancel - both courses and players.
Not impossible as some have happened but not as many as normal.
I’m going to arrange one at my place as soon as the weather improves…….but only for Homer & LP. I’m gonna bring them together, a bit like a forum version of Boutros Boutros Ghali. It’s gonna be beautiful!