A personal view on what has gone so so wrong with this forum

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I read but don't really post much, but I'd say there are a couple of mega trolls and we all know who they are. Then there are few who clearly have polar views and love to argue with one another.
The removal of political threads has made no difference, but then it never would've.

Re-enforcing what many said at the time. It’s not the subject that’s the problem, it’s the way some people engage with them.
Manage those better and the subject becomes a moot point.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know mate. I visit a carp fishing forum and pretty much everyone gets on all the time. There maybe one or two cross words but people soon agree to disagree and move on.
Golf is different because it's a sport full of knobs.
I can think of maybe 50+ members of my course that I'd cross the road to avoid talking to them. There's not one person I dislike at my fishing club and only two at my skydiving club

:eek: jeeze

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is something that crops up every so often. A bit like 'things were better back in my day'. Forums are something to dip in and out of, not to take seriously. As others have said, the trolls are obvious, easy to bypass and avoid. When they get going, just stay out of things, ignore their posts and carry on.

For those who can't separate things, remember what the adverts say, 'when the fun stops, stop' ?

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There's nothing worth taking too seriously.

Obviously people can have strong views which will occasionally clash: so what?

If members sometimes let off a bit of steam I don’t see the problem: we need to stop being so precious. I think the mods generally do a fair job of refereeing but occasionally overreact IMO.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Being one who came "from the other place", the reputation of certain aspects of here preceeded those aspects. However, being a permanent resident here now, it ain't so bad.
I dare say I have said the wrong and stupid thing at times, and to those I'm sorry. Like all forums, there are always those who think they know everything, and if they don't will get Google to find what they think is the answer. Let them get on with it, life's too short.
Would I want to mod a group of grown men from all walks of life on a forum, hell no. Gratitude is zero, and they can never be right.

Cheers mods, thankyou.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I don't really think there's a problem. Would be boring if we all agreed all the time. Some people just need thicker skins. I have debates with people sometimes, even engage with trolls on here, but then I just walk away and remember that nothing we say on here actually matters. It's not that difficult.

Personally I couldn’t disagree more. But here’s the difference ( where we agree ) I respect your view And you respect mine. Others on this forum do not know the meaning of the word respect. Yet the same folk know it all and would be quite happy to argue the toss all night And for the next few years. I have said it before and I will say it again. I am happy to sit on a fence and see both sides. I am not afraid at 58 yr old to ask questions because I don’t know.
Remember when I went to Mexico ( when the government said I could) same as the government is saying you can travel now, the abuse I got was unbelievable. I remember one forumer saying “ do you not love your grandkids” because I suggested me and Missis T May end up looking after the kids during lockdown. Guess what happened, Boris said Tash can look after the kids during lockdown so daughter and ex husband could walk the streets of Sheffield as coppers. The government said that. Not Tash. The same government that said I could go on holiday. Yet the forum mouths could not see that.
Me I did the same as PS. I took a break. Did I miss it. Not really. Homer did exactly the same. He was in the trenches dealing with COVID and the crap he got From this forum was disgusting. He did the same took a break.
The COVID thread is typical of how this forum can go. It has gone from “how has it affected you“ to “the lockdown should finish or it should be stricter”. A few of the posts now are actually about how it has affected you. It is going the same way as the now defunct and banned political threads. A few forummers have spoilt it for the many.
Finally has anyone actually given a moments thought to the people that actually have to police this forum. over the space of a few days Fragger has Christmas and his birthday whilst sat deleting, closing threads and giving out infractions.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm only an occasional poster here, I read more threads than I actively engage with.

I've always thought this forum was a fairly civil and friendly place! I was on another forum a few years back which was a million times worse than this so this place was a refreshing change when I joined! I always remember a thread I started here about when my mum was diagnosed with cancer and despite not being one of the "regulars" I received some really lovely replies and support.

Genuinely never noticed the trolling and bad attitudes mentioned in the OP - but that may be down to the fact that I'm not here all the time to notice it (and notice any main culprits). Also I don't really read the long running threads, so perhaps it happens more on them.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure we have trolls so much as regular posters who are always right, 100% right and cannot accept anyone who is wrong and has to "debate" with them until they submit (or just say "I'm out"). Get two of those together, on the same thread, with differing viewpoints and it descends into "I'm right, you're wrong...here Google agees with me" and on and on and on it goes and ruins the thread until one gives up or a mod steps in.

I often wonder what said posters are like in real life if they cannot just agree to disagree...like EVER! Must be exhausting.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I really don't think this place is anything like as toxic as some suggest. I'm on a couple of football forums and the abuse that gets dished out there is 100 times worse than anything on here. And that's between guys who support the same team!

Football and politics seem to be the 2 topics which cause the most aggro. At the time, I disagreed with the decision to ban political posts, but with hindsight, it was a good move. Most of the abuse I see on here tends to either be in the Footie thread or in the Covid thread (the latter particularly when it comes to how things being managed by the government, aka political).

99% of threads and posts are absolutely fine imo.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Start your own thread. See how long it lasts????

Guess who?

Hasbro bringing out a new game.

GM Forum Guess Who Game.png
Does this person have a slice?
Does this person use iron head covers?
Does this person often 3 putt?
Does this person get two shots on some holes?
Does this person look like the Grim Reaper?

GM Forum Guess Who.png

P.S. This is just a bit of fun. All avatars chosen completely at random and aren't meant to be a comment on who the original thread poster was talking about.

P.P.S. Before anyone asks, yes I do have a lot of time on my hands.

Last edited:

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hasbro bringing out a new game.

View attachment 40173
Does this person have a slice?
Does this person use iron head covers?
Does this person often 3 putt?
Does this person look like the Grim Reaper?

View attachment 40174

P.S. This is just a bit of fun. All avatars chosen completely at random and aren't meant to be a comment on who the original thread poster was talking about.

P.P.S. Before anyone asks, yes I do have a lot of time on my hands.

That’s brilliant but you need to include “does this person get 2 shots on some holes”

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just checked and I joined the forum on April 1st 2007. I still read it most days so I guess I must enjoy it. I've never engaged in other forums, just this one.

I think people need to know when to agree to disagree and move on. If certain posters incense you so much then put them on ignore and enjoy the GOLF forum for what it is. A place to get away from the daily grind and meet like minded folk to talk golf and not take things to seriously.

I've got out of this forum far more than what I've put in. Great friends, lots of golf at courses I wouldn't have dreamt of playing and memories that will live with me for a long time. Sift through the bad, think of the good and its an all right place to pass a few minutes here and there.

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
That’s brilliant but you need to include “does this person get 2 shots on some holes”

Phew, not me then.

I often wonder what said posters are like in real life if they cannot just agree to disagree...like EVER! Must be exhausting.

What are you doing in here today, shouldn't you be getting pampered somewhere? :whistle: