A personal view on what has gone so so wrong with this forum

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Funny. Your original post has managed to incorporate negative labelling, petty namecalling and a personal attack on an individual who, while unnamed, can probably identify himself from the description.

Not to mention the fact that Pathetic Shark was the biggest show off and name dropper I've ever come across on this forum. If you look at his old posts he is just as bad as the people he is attacking. Based on his forum persona, I would avoid him like the plague

Leftitshort

Visit site
Personally I couldn’t disagree more. But here’s the difference ( where we agree ) I respect your view And you respect mine. Others on this forum do not know the meaning of the word respect. Yet the same folk know it all and would be quite happy to argue the toss all night And for the next few years. I have said it before and I will say it again. I am happy to sit on a fence and see both sides. I am not afraid at 58 yr old to ask questions because I don’t know.
Remember when I went to Mexico ( when the government said I could) same as the government is saying you can travel now, the abuse I got was unbelievable. I remember one forumer saying “ do you not love your grandkids” because I suggested me and Missis T May end up looking after the kids during lockdown. Guess what happened, Boris said Tash can look after the kids during lockdown so daughter and ex husband could walk the streets of Sheffield as coppers. The government said that. Not Tash. The same government that said I could go on holiday. Yet the forum mouths could not see that.
Me I did the same as PS. I took a break. Did I miss it. Not really. Homer did exactly the same. He was in the trenches dealing with COVID and the crap he got From this forum was disgusting. He did the same took a break.
The COVID thread is typical of how this forum can go. It has gone from “how has it affected you“ to “the lockdown should finish or it should be stricter”. A few of the posts now are actually about how it has affected you. It is going the same way as the now defunct and banned political threads. A few forummers have spoilt it for the many.
Finally has anyone actually given a moments thought to the people that actually have to police this forum. over the space of a few days Fragger has Christmas and his birthday whilst sat deleting, closing threads and giving out infractions.
I think generally there’s a real lack of self awareness, that and posting amnesia

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve been here since 2012 I think and to a degree or has got somewhat more tense than it used to be. Things evolve and change over time but there were some great characters that chose to move on due to the attitudes of some newer members (not tarnishing all) which I feel is a great shame and a loss to the forum.

I had a year away from the forum as I fell out of love with the game and it’s definitely different since coming back. There are clearly people with multiple users who come in solely to stir the pot and I personally very quickly identified a couple of new users who’s threads and posts I have not interest in simply because in short their attitude gives the impression that they are ignorant or just simply stuck up their own a***!

Unfortunately as a forum grows although the percentage still remains the same, the number of f*** nuggets grows and this makes the experience of a great platform less enjoyable for the majority.

If my statement offends anyone, look in the mirror and ask why it offends you….

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Hasbro bringing out a new game.

View attachment 40173
Does this person have a slice?
Does this person use iron head covers?
Does this person often 3 putt?
Does this person get two shots on some holes?
Does this person look like the Grim Reaper?

View attachment 40174

P.S. This is just a bit of fun. All avatars chosen completely at random and aren't meant to be a comment on who the original thread poster was talking about.

P.P.S. Before anyone asks, yes I do have a lot of time on my hands.
I didn't think it was possible to have THAT much time on your hands..(y)
Bravo Sir

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

View attachment 40173

View attachment 40174

P.S. This is just a bit of fun. All avatars chosen completely at random and aren't meant to be a comment on who the original thread poster was talking about.

I’m honoured to have my avatar included.

I think.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
It would be a real shame if this forum, or even just the Out of Bounds section was taken down. But it is heading that way. More and more former forumers are becoming just that because of the attitudes here of some people.

Try colour coding people.
Those that like golf, football, cricket I code blue.
Those that like wrestling, boxing and rugby black.
Those that like motor sport grey.
Those off their rockers turquoise...

Last reminds me of David Icke.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I blame the Mega trolls and those who don't know how to admit they're wrong. You know who you are!

That absolves me then, replace six divots and repair eight pitchmarks my son. ????

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Personally I couldn’t disagree more. But here’s the difference ( where we agree ) I respect your view And you respect mine. Others on this forum do not know the meaning of the word respect. Yet the same folk know it all and would be quite happy to argue the toss all night And for the next few years. I have said it before and I will say it again. I am happy to sit on a fence and see both sides. I am not afraid at 58 yr old to ask questions because I don’t know.
Remember when I went to Mexico ( when the government said I could) same as the government is saying you can travel now, the abuse I got was unbelievable. I remember one forumer saying “ do you not love your grandkids” because I suggested me and Missis T May end up looking after the kids during lockdown. Guess what happened, Boris said Tash can look after the kids during lockdown so daughter and ex husband could walk the streets of Sheffield as coppers. The government said that. Not Tash. The same government that said I could go on holiday. Yet the forum mouths could not see that.
Me I did the same as PS. I took a break. Did I miss it. Not really. Homer did exactly the same. He was in the trenches dealing with COVID and the crap he got From this forum was disgusting. He did the same took a break.
The COVID thread is typical of how this forum can go. It has gone from “how has it affected you“ to “the lockdown should finish or it should be stricter”. A few of the posts now are actually about how it has affected you. It is going the same way as the now defunct and banned political threads. A few forummers have spoilt it for the many.
Finally has anyone actually given a moments thought to the people that actually have to police this forum. over the space of a few days Fragger has Christmas and his birthday whilst sat deleting, closing threads and giving out infractions.

A balanced reply that I think shows clearly the issue. There are a handful of persistent trolls on here that seem to want to deliberately wind up and antagonise forum members but the bigger issue is perhaps the cliques that form around this. As soon as they post their "gang" pile on to like and somehow verify the reply. I do wonder at times if they even read the reply in full or agree with the post.

I had to get away as there were two on here making life in the middle of working in a hospital in covid unbearable. I didn't miss it at the time but there so many encouraging messages in my inbox I was tempted back in (and thank you to those that took the time). Alas I fear things are moving backwards and so may well revert to lurking. I have met a number and played of those that can argue in an empty room and with the exception of two, they were totally different to their forum persona. As for the OP, I have known him for nearly 30 years and he is someone that has clear views on many subjects but is also someone that enjoys the to and from of a reasoned debate. He is someone that apart from a good golfer holds all the values of this great game and aside from anything is a loyal friend and will put himself out to help others.

The forum is capable of much good. H4H shows that as does the numerous acts of kindness between members witnessed on here over the years. It is somewhere that provides humour, entertainment and pathos but it is heading towards a crossroads (imo) and how it proceeds will dictate whether it is still a place worth visiting

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site

View attachment 40173

View attachment 40174

Absolute quality. ? Well done

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
I remember a few years back I tried to do a fun game of guessing my trackman numbers with driver. (My intention was to giveaway my Nike covert driver to the closest as i couldn't be bothered selling.) The amount of toxicity and complaining in that thread was too much and I took a break for a year.

Coming back, you just have to ignore some posts, and take it for what it is. (I do like to wind up the Liverpool contingent in the footie thread mind, just a bit of fun:p)

The chaps i've played with have been fantastic, I got a great day out courtesy of GM and Stewart and had a few guys round my track. Yes there are some people that may actually act in real life as they do on the forum, but that's with all walks of life I suppose!

RichA

Visit site
I remember a few years back I tried to do a fun game of guessing my trackman numbers with driver. (My intention was to giveaway my Nike covert driver to the closest as i couldn't be bothered selling.) The amount of toxicity and complaining in that thread was too much and I took a break for a year.

Coming back, you just have to ignore some posts, and take it for what it is. (I do like to wind up the Liverpool contingent in the footie thread mind, just a bit of fun:p)

The chaps i've played with have been fantastic, I got a great day out courtesy of GM and Stewart and had a few guys round my track. Yes there are some people that may actually act in real life as they do on the forum, but that's with all walks of life I suppose!
Did you give the driver away? If the number was over 220 yards and less than 45° left or right I'll take it off your hands.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site

View attachment 40173

View attachment 40174

Absolute class! You realise now that the people who have been mentioned will be happy but the other huge % will be upset.

Leftitshort

Visit site
I think generally there’s a real lack of self awareness, that and posting amnesia
This was said as a bit of a joke. However the lack of self awareness on this thread alone sums it up for me. People forget what they post, contradict themselves and then are confused at a reaction. Posting amnesia indeed

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I just checked and I joined the forum on April 1st 2007. I still read it most days so I guess I must enjoy it. I've never engaged in other forums, just this one.

I think people need to know when to agree to disagree and move on. If certain posters incense you so much then put them on ignore and enjoy the GOLF forum for what it is. A place to get away from the daily grind and meet like minded folk to talk golf and not take things to seriously.

I've got out of this forum far more than what I've put in. Great friends, lots of golf at courses I wouldn't have dreamt of playing and memories that will live with me for a long time. Sift through the bad, think of the good and its an all right place to pass a few minutes here and there.
Rather ironically J it is 15 years‘ today since I joined so like you may class ourselves as stalwarts. I wrote something yesterday to that affect that it was very good, praising the Mods and similar to the original post there was too much bickering especially on the Brexit Thread and the Footie thread with a continual ‘battle’ between some posters. I then deleted the post.Overall the good far outweighed the bad with Hobbit being particularly knowledgeable and IMurg always having a reasoned case.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Before anyone throws the baby out with the bath water, open the OOB section and look at the titles to each thread. Then ask yourself how many threads are contentious/toxic. Take a step back and then consider how many posts in each thread are contentious/toxic.

Are things really as bad as some people portray? Yes some long-standing posters have gone. So what... Others have come in and replaced them, and they have brought with them different opinions and perspectives. Hurrah! Those that have chosen to go have left us, and if a friend walks out on me, bye…

I’ve been taking more of a viewers position than a contributors in the last 6 months because I was biting more to some posters. I’m at fault for biting. I decide what I post and how I respond. If their posts were too contentious they would have been taken down, ergo their posts are acceptable. The fact ‘we’ might consider them contentious, and have been able to contest them is a positive not a negative.

Yes there’s guys in here I wouldn’t want to sit down for a pint with, nor play golf with, but doesn’t that apply to some people in the clubs you play at? And I dare say there are those that wouldn’t want my company - that’s life.

Draw a breath, walk away for 5 minutes if you need to and remember this forum isn’t a critical part of your life.