A personal view on what has gone so so wrong with this forum

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This was an interesting read.

In many ways I prefer the forum now to when I first joined it (many years ago, but not sure exactly how many!). Back then it felt like there was a real clique of people in a way I don’t feel there is now.

It’s an Internet forum though, impossible to prevent big personalities congregating in the same place and locks my horns in a way that probably wouldn’t happen in reality.

The ignore list works well if you find someone truly insufferable, I’ve only got a couple on it, but much improves my experience compared to repeatedly getting annoyed by the nonsense they post!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This was an interesting read.

In many ways I prefer the forum now to when I first joined it (many years ago, but not sure exactly how many!). Back then it felt like there was a real clique of people in a way I don’t feel there is now.

It’s an Internet forum though, impossible to prevent big personalities congregating in the same place and locks my horns in a way that probably wouldn’t happen in reality.

The ignore list works well if you find someone truly insufferable, I’ve only got a couple on it, but much improves my experience compared to repeatedly getting annoyed by the nonsense they post!
Try Feb 22 2012 CY. It states when you joined below your name

D

Deleted member 18121

I personally have taken to putting a few members on ignore. Yes it makes reading some threads a little difficult but on the whole it's made it a more pleasant experience.

I've read some people say that putting people on ignore isn't a route they want to take... But in theory if we all ignored the regular culprits soon enough they'd be getting no responses or bites and would essentially be forced to stop.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I personally have taken to putting a few members on ignore. Yes it makes reading some threads a little difficult but on the whole it's made it a more pleasant experience.

I've read some people say that putting people on ignore isn't a route they want to take... But in theory if we all ignored the regular culprits soon enough they'd be getting no responses or bites and would essentially be forced to stop.

I have never put anyone on ignore, but I find giving my opinion and then refusing to discuss with certain posters their view on my post, works best for me. It's not my normal way of discussing things but on here at least I dont get annoyed.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Before anyone throws the baby out with the bath water, open the OOB section and look at the titles to each thread. Then ask yourself how many threads are contentious/toxic. Take a step back and then consider how many posts in each thread are contentious/toxic.

Are things really as bad as some people portray? Yes some long-standing posters have gone. So what... Others have come in and replaced them, and they have brought with them different opinions and perspectives. Hurrah! Those that have chosen to go have left us, and if a friend walks out on me, bye…

I’ve been taking more of a viewers position than a contributors in the last 6 months because I was biting more to some posters. I’m at fault for biting. I decide what I post and how I respond. If their posts were too contentious they would have been taken down, ergo their posts are acceptable. The fact ‘we’ might consider them contentious, and have been able to contest them is a positive not a negative.

Yes there’s guys in here I wouldn’t want to sit down for a pint with, nor play golf with, but doesn’t that apply to some people in the clubs you play at? And I dare say there are those that wouldn’t want my company - that’s life.

Draw a breath, walk away for 5 minutes if you need to and remember this forum isn’t a critical part of your life.
A very good balanced post, although I expect little else.

Are some people so thin skinned that they get emotional about what people debate on here, it's a Forum and as such there will be subjects that are bound to attract differences of opinion and lively debate. OK it's not acceptable to make personal insults but the Mods soon jump on that.

None of this is compulsory reading, you can leave or ignore it at will, as a matter of fact I recommend it, I have no interest in the football or cricket threads for example so don't go near them.

Anyhow, Happy new year to one and all and may your God go with you, whoever they may be.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well where to start

The OP - maybe no mirrors to look into , have a read back and some of the stuff you have posted on the forum - the car parking space was a highlight.

There are some very good balanced posts and also some very one sided posts

A few things for me - it’s a public forum that is a choice , no one is forced to post or read what people post and certainly not forced to reply or engage with others

At times a number are quick to shout troll just because someone posts an opinion that they don’t like or when it’s a post that challenges them. It’s very rare on here when someone is “deliberately” looking to troll others - there are some but I think most just ignore them anyway

There are also plenty of times some need to look in the mirror and understand why some react to them - some have been highly hypocritical, some bare face lies and some just not self aware - I have no doubt fallen into the last category at times

I don’t have anyone on ignore but there are a number who I just wont bother replying too

But let’s not ever forget all the good stuff - the very knowledgeable posters in all aspects , the ones that help others out , the ones that organise meets , host others , the good friends some have made on here.

The forum opened up a big world of golf for me - there are some on here that I would class as good friends now and have played rounds of golf each year , there are just a handful of posters I wouldn’t play a round of golf with

It’s sad that we lost rickg and it’s sad that people like Hobbit is all the way in Spain and can’t join us at meets , it’s also sad that some great posters left

The forum is a great place - and always remember the good stuff

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Despite the “negative nancies” I don’t think there is anyone on here that I wouldn’t play golf with on a meet.

There will always be clashes but to be honest i don’t really give a monkey’s.

I have been humbled by the support and nice words from forumers (some I don’t think I’ve met) when I’ve mentioned about my mental health struggles.

D

Deleted member 15344

Hasbro bringing out a new game.

View attachment 40173
Does this person have a slice?
Does this person use iron head covers?
Does this person often 3 putt?
Does this person get two shots on some holes?
Does this person look like the Grim Reaper?

View attachment 40174

P.S. This is just a bit of fun. All avatars chosen completely at random and aren't meant to be a comment on who the original thread poster was talking about.

P.P.S. Before anyone asks, yes I do have a lot of time on my hands.
???

That’s brilliant

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hasbro bringing out a new game.

View attachment 40173
Does this person have a slice?
Does this person use iron head covers?
Does this person often 3 putt?
Does this person get two shots on some holes?
Does this person look like the Grim Reaper?

View attachment 40174

P.S. This is just a bit of fun. All avatars chosen completely at random and aren't meant to be a comment on who the original thread poster was talking about.

P.P.S. Before anyone asks, yes I do have a lot of time on my hands.
Absolutely brilliant. Credit to you ?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
The forum has evolved over the years from a dozen or so initial members, to where it is now with thousands of people viewing every month and a solid group of a couple of hundred regular posters, with many more dipping in and out.

It is impossible to please everyone all of the time and you will get disagreements, mostly these run their course without any problems, but The Moderator Team do need to get involved occasionally and we do give out infractions, temporary bans and sometimes, a permanent ban is necessary.
However the percentage of posters that come to our attention is very small, compared to the large number of members, so I am asking myself " Do we really have that big a problem?"

The past 20 months have seen peoples lives turned upside down, stress levels up and access to golf limited at times, with courses closed in lockdowns and also now with the current bad weather.

Bearing all this in mind, I think we are doing OK, but it is not perfect.

Are there things I would like to see happen? Yes,
The word TROLL is banded about far too freely in my opinion, often used when another person has a different opinion that you have not been able to change
If you think someone is trolling, then rather than calling them out, you should be reporting it to the Mod Team.

What you dont see, behind the scenes are the Private Messages that are sent out when someone is getting close to crossing the line, these often focus the attention of the recipient and mean we dont need to issue an infraction further down the line, Also some of you will have seen posts instructing a member to back off or take a break, these have the affect of letting the membership know that the exchanges are being watched and the result is it calms down.

We work within the frameword set down by GM, it is their trainset, their corporate image, their rules.

It is a shame that a handful of long term posters have left, but that is the nature of a forum, people come and go, it is fluid, often they come back months or even years later and they are most welcome to return when it is the right time for them.

My last point is that we are a GOLF Forum, Golf is our primary thang, the rest is secondary, whatever is discussed on these boards isnt going to alter Earth's history one jot, so why do people get so worked up about stuff? If you find you are spending too much time on here,and it is getting to you, it is probably unhealthy and you should reduce your time or take a break.

Finally remember Fragger's Mantras "Knowing When To Stop Is An Artform" and "Agree To Disagree And Move On"

But look at the great stuff, H4H, Auld Pharts, the meets, the trips, the laughs, it is what you make it

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I joined the forum earlier this year – I am not able to take a long term view of the nature of debate as the OP has done.
Two things I do not understand and/or can not agree with in debates.
1. Making a post that opposes another’s view and at the same time asks for that poster to make no further remarks.
Excluding moderators’ interventions, demanding the right to have the last word and silence another is pathetic.
2. Posting “I’m out” when simply not making any further posts on that topic is all you need to do.
“I’m flouncing out” would be more appropriate, I believe.

I know that this year I have irritated some, amused some and done both to some.
Others have done the same to me - much like real life away from golf and this forum. I don’t expect real life or this forum to be greatly different.
But I believe I set out my stall on my very first day. I quote myself,

“On this forum, many seem interested in finding fault with others' level of knowledge.
I enjoy the exchange of views mainly.
If comments are addressed to me then I am likely to respond.
I try to avoid discourtesy and impropriety, which sometimes happens all too easily on social media.”

I am not a perfect being and I will make mistakes or get things wrong.
Please be ready to forgive me as and when that happens.

..and a very happy new year to all. We deserve it.

Thank you.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The thing I notice most (and I have been on here a very long time) is that it is actually becoming far less of a golf forum. The activity on the main forum is much reduced and the out of bounds section much increased. As a result, the conversations are very much focused on topics that divide rather than the one we have in common.

I have seen it from both sides as both a former mod and then a normal user. The mod job is thankless but there seems to be less occurances that involve almost 24 hour monitoring to sort out (believe me a few all night modding sessions did happen).

The forum also does not meet anymore. The arrange a game section used to be filled with 2 or 3 people meet ups every week. Them people demanded bigger meet ups, then bigger meet ups on high end courses and then they wanted it to cost next to nothing. People relied on the same two or three people to arrange everything and took on none of the burden and never made reciprocal arrangements so that stopped.

What I have noticed is that covid has changed the forum by becoming a polarising aspect that impacts everyone. I have noticed a few people change in character and how and what they post since it started.

People have also lost the ability to debate, to accept and even compliment opposing views. To a few on here, everything is either right or wrong but then again, that is a societal thing.

This is still a great place to chat once you get the lay of the land but it has, over the years, lost that connection with Golf Monthly and the interaction that came with it and it is now just a forum that happens to have golf in its name

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The thing I notice most (and I have been on here a very long time) is that it is actually becoming far less of a golf forum. The activity on the main forum is much reduced and the out of bounds section much increased. As a result, the conversations are very much focused on topics that divide rather than the one we have in common.

I have seen it from both sides as both a former mod and then a normal user. The mod job is thankless but there seems to be less occurances that involve almost 24 hour monitoring to sort out (believe me a few all night modding sessions did happen).

The forum also does not meet anymore. The arrange a game section used to be filled with 2 or 3 people meet ups every week. Them people demanded bigger meet ups, then bigger meet ups on high end courses and then they wanted it to cost next to nothing. People relied on the same two or three people to arrange everything and took on none of the burden and never made reciprocal arrangements so that stopped.

What I have noticed is that covid has changed the forum by becoming a polarising aspect that impacts everyone. I have noticed a few people change in character and how and what they post since it started.

People have also lost the ability to debate, to accept and even compliment opposing views. To a few on here, everything is either right or wrong but then again, that is a societal thing.

This is still a great place to chat once you get the lay of the land but it has, over the years, lost that connection with Golf Monthly and the interaction that came with it and it is now just a forum that happens to have golf in its name
It would be interesting to see how many on here take a Golf Monthly subscription now.