A personal appeal - please read

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Evening all
Can I ask for a few minutes of your time to read the email below (and trail plus link to other post with Saturday Times piece)
It's about Christopher Tappin - the father of GM deputy editor, Neil Tappin... or Tappers as you probably know him.
For those who follow the news closely it'll all start to make sense as you put two and two together and realise their are a limited number of SE based golfing families called Tappin.
Anyway, I'd ask you take a few minutes of your time to read the below and if you feel inclined act upon it.
Thanks
Mike

>>>Dear all
Apologies for yet another email from me but I wanted to forward on the email below from Neil Tappin (Tappers) regarding his father's situation.
As Neil says in his email, it seems like every avenue to stop his father's extradition to the US has been exhausted - and Chris is due to report to the Heathrow police station this coming Friday from where he will be flown out from the UK by US marshals to an uncertain future in Texas.
Neil is asking that if you have the time (less than a minute) could you please complete the online petition form linked to below and forward on as you see fit.
http://www.freegary.britishintelligence.co.uk/tappin/
Thanks once again for your support of Neil and his family – I know they have been touched by the enormous level of support they've received at this difficult time
Best regards
Mike
Michael Harris
Editor
Golf Monthly

>>>From: Neil Tappin
Subject: Help needed
Dear All,
Sorry for sending through another group email but I wanted to thank everyone for their kind support recently. As I'm sure many of you know, the date for my Dad's extradition has been set for this Friday. It's all very surreal and none of us can quite believe it's happening. Anyway, as a last-ditch attempt to get the government to act, another petition has been set up. Sorry to keep sending you these things but it has all become very desperate and we need all the help we can get. We would really appreciate it if you would sign this and forward it on to anyone who will do likewise.
http://www.freegary.britishintelligence.co.uk/tappin/
Unfortunately, the reality is that we don't expect anything to be done and he will leave this country, his feet and hands manacled and go straight to a US detention centre, without having been given the chance to defend himself in court (the hearings so far have all been about the legality of the extradition, no evidence has been given by either side). Both the details of the case itself and the public support for it highlights how our current legal system is a) failing to protect British citizens and b) turning its back on real justice. The more signatures these petitions get, the more pressure will mount to change the law and prevent anyone else going through this in the future.
Thanks,
Neil

Neil Tappin
Deputy editor
Golf Monthly

Last edited:

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Done with pleasure. A government is elected as a representative of it's people, not as a barrier between it people and justice.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
signed it also. It does seem a nonsense that laws passed to seemingly protect the citizens of the UK are infact being used to persecute the same citizens.

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
Well said bluewolf , i have also signed . I did read the article in the times on Saturday and it makes a mockery of our legal system, i wish you well , i cannot imagine what you are going through

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is asking friends on Facebook something that wouldn't be opposed?

Forgot to say, I've signed it, obviously, and as Ian said, stay strong Tappers.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Is asking friends on Facebook something that wouldn't be opposed?
Forgot to say, I've signed it, obviously, and as Ian said, stay strong Tappers.

go for it Jon, at this stage its about trying to ensure those in the future who might face what Tappers' dad is facing have the UK gov on their side, as opposed to just being seemingly ambivalent about their situation

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
done.

think this is disgusting behaviour by are governemnt and proves again we as a country always bend over for the US and get shafted! This surely is against his civil human rights? Surely the european parliment or court of human rights or what ever they are called can step in here?

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
We defend our country, our rules and laws for the most part, but this just takes the biscuit. how can we be proud to be British when this happens.