A personal appeal - please read

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
go for it Jon, at this stage its about trying to ensure those in the future who might face what Tappers' dad is facing have the UK gov on their side, as opposed to just being seemingly ambivalent about their situation

Done. Also posted a plea on another forum I frequent.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Evening all
Can I ask for a few minutes of your time to read the email below (and trail plus link to other post with Saturday Times piece)
It's about Christopher Tappin - the father of GM deputy editor, Neil Tappin... or Tappers as you probably know him.
For those who follow the news closely it'll all start to make sense as you put two and two together and realise their are a limited number of SE based golfing families called Tappin.
Anyway, I'd ask you take a few minutes of your time to read the below and if you feel inclined act upon it.
Thanks
Mike

>>>Dear all
Apologies for yet another email from me but I wanted to forward on the email below from Neil Tappin (Tappers) regarding his father's situation.
As Neil says in his email, it seems like every avenue to stop his father's extradition to the US has been exhausted - and Chris is due to report to the Heathrow police station this coming Friday from where he will be flown out from the UK by US marshals to an uncertain future in Texas.
Neil is asking that if you have the time (less than a minute) could you please complete the online petition form linked to below and forward on as you see fit.
http://www.freegary.britishintelligence.co.uk/tappin/
Thanks once again for your support of Neil and his family – I know they have been touched by the enormous level of support they've received at this difficult time
Best regards
Mike
Michael Harris
Editor
Golf Monthly

>>>From: Neil Tappin
Subject: Help needed
Dear All,
Sorry for sending through another group email but I wanted to thank everyone for their kind support recently. As I'm sure many of you know, the date for my Dad's extradition has been set for this Friday. It's all very surreal and none of us can quite believe it's happening. Anyway, as a last-ditch attempt to get the government to act, another petition has been set up. Sorry to keep sending you these things but it has all become very desperate and we need all the help we can get. We would really appreciate it if you would sign this and forward it on to anyone who will do likewise.
http://www.freegary.britishintelligence.co.uk/tappin/
Unfortunately, the reality is that we don't expect anything to be done and he will leave this country, his feet and hands manacled and go straight to a US detention centre, without having been given the chance to defend himself in court (the hearings so far have all been about the legality of the extradition, no evidence has been given by either side). Both the details of the case itself and the public support for it highlights how our current legal system is a) failing to protect British citizens and b) turning its back on real justice. The more signatures these petitions get, the more pressure will mount to change the law and prevent anyone else going through this in the future.
Thanks,
Neil

Neil Tappin
Deputy editor
Golf Monthly

i would suggest that everyone who cares forward this to their own MP, the more that get it the more it will be talked about

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
this is the 1st I have heard of this, I was aware of the hacking one and thought that was harsh but this just takes the bloody biscuit!!

I am absolutely speechless and shocked that something like this can happen, its like something from the dark ages.

Signed without hesitation and I wish the Tappin family all the best and stay strong throughout this ordeal

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
omg, read about this in the Times the other day and didnt put 2 and 2 together. have obviously signed and forwarded on to all I know, best wishes to Neil and his family

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Signed of course, without hesitation, as I have been following this for some time.

Is there anyone on this forum involved with club management who has access to club secretaries around the country? Not just golf clubs but football, rugby, fishing, whatever.

The complete injustice of what is happening goes totally against what the British people stand for and I'm sure that, if made aware of what was happening, a large percentage of recipients of the info would also sign up.

Come on guys and girls, do your bit and forward this on to anyone you know who has access to a large number of people.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
done,

just what has our government become? it is actively assisting imprisonment without trial or hearing and into possibly the worst 'justice' system in the western world.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Done and shocked.

If ever we needed an example of how the government let it's people down, this is it. We can't keep a terrorist in prison because it's against his human rights but we can allow this? I don't know how some people sleep at night I really don't.

Hope it works out for you Tappers

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unbelievable - just added my support to the online campaign! First I had heard of it. Best Wishes Neil - I hope it the petition helps give our government a back bone - to let this happen in what we believe to be the most democratic country on earth and yet we cannot deport Abu Qatada makes a mockery of law, common sense and the will of the public.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Done too. It's outrageous that we bow down to the Americans on a different extradition agreement than the other way round