A jacket I can swing in

Bermuda

Visit site
I need a waterproof jacket that I can easily swing in, any suggestions please? Freedom of movement is my number 1 criteria

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I went years looking for one without any real success. Then picked up a lightweight jacket as a freebie to the media at the Valspar event in Tampa a few years back which was perfect. The Bucs then gave me a jacket at the NFL game last October which was even better. Insane, I spend a fair bit over the years and wind up with two free jackets that are ideal.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Two Galvin Green jackets have seen me through the last 20 years, without ever letting a drop of rain in. They seem a bit more expensive when buying, but their value for money is off the charts.
I have one as well and agree with its brilliant waterproofing. I do find mine a little stiff though, not that great for swinging freely in which is the key question here. How do you find yours on that front? Mine is about 10 years old so I suspect newer ones are a little more flexible as tech improves.

Zig

Visit site
I have one as well and agree with its brilliant waterproofing. I do find mine a little stiff though, not that great for swinging freely in which is the key question here. How do you find yours on that front? Mine is about 10 years old so I suspect newer ones are a little more flexible as tech improves.
I think I know what you mean... the first one I had was a paclite - single membrane jacket which was a slightly more rigid material. My current one is the gore text model with inner net-style lining and it's fab - can't fault it at all (as you'd expect at the top end price wise).

I'm fancying a new one for golf, at which point my current one becomes either my dog walking jacket or goes to the charity shop, and I'm sure there's plenty of life left in it yet. And the new one will be Galvin Green goretex too...

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have a ProQuip waterproof jacket, the sleeves just seem too loose and baggy when I'm swinging, if it's light rain, I'd rather get a bit damp than wear it tbh.

Bermuda

Visit site
Spot on I have the Galvin Green pac lite and for me it's OK but I want to be able to swing more freely

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1.Go to a walking /hiking shop look for a jacket with a removable fleece liner get a nice fit with the liner fitted and take the liner out when when playing golf.

2. I have always found Proquip jackets good.

3. Function not form get a size larger than you would normally wear.

Last edited:

Grantley1988

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Spot on I have the Galvin Green pac lite and for me it's OK but I want to be able to swing more freely

The new Galvin Green shakedry should be perfect if you feel your swing is restricted. I’ve got the shakedry as a cycling jacket and it’s excellent. Really breathable as well.

Springveldt

Visit site

Springveldt

Visit site
How do you find the sizing?
I'm normally XL but the occasional item has just been like a marquee lately.
I bought the XXL and it's bigger than the Ping XXL I have, which means it fits better as the Ping one was a little tight in the shoulders and around the hips.

In golf gear, I normally wear XXL Adidas and Nike t-shirts if that's any help.

I did buy a Glenmuir XXL t-shirt from County Golf that's like a nightgown but the Cutter and Buck XXL fits fine.

Overall, I'd say it's sized correctly, the XL is for 46-48 chest and the XXL is 50-52. I'm sure if I got the XL then I wouldn't be able to wear many layers under it.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The GG jacket i have has some flex in it, not like the older ones, i don't have a problem with mine as long as i don't wear to much under it

Springveldt

Visit site
I bought the XXL and it's bigger than the Ping XXL I have, which means it fits better as the Ping one was a little tight in the shoulders and around the hips.

In golf gear, I normally wear XXL Adidas and Nike t-shirts if that's any help.

I did buy a Glenmuir XXL t-shirt from Country Golf that's like a nightgown but the Cutter and Buck XXL fits fine.

Overall, I'd say it's sized correctly, the XL is for 46-48 chest and the XXL is 50-52. I'm sure if I got the XL then I wouldn't be able to wear many layers under it.
Update on this jacket, took the dog for a 50 minute walk last night when it was chucking it down. Only had a t-shirt on underneath and it worked really well. Never got that cold feeling on the arms that you get sometimes when the rain hits the arms on a waterproof. Also, the Footjoy waterproof bucket hat I bought this week worked a treat as well.

Just wish I had stuck a pair of golf shoes on for the walk as my feet got soaked.

sunshine

Visit site
1.Go to a walking /hiking shop look for a jacket with a removable fleece liner get a nice fit with the liner fitted and take the liner out when when playing golf.

2. I have always found Proquip jackets good.

3. Function not form get a size larger than you would normally wear.

Not sure I agree with this advice. A larger size will flap around like a tent and get in the way of the swing. I think a snug well fitted jacket (not restrictive) is far more comfortable to swing in.