A choice of memberships available to me - what do you reckon?

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Go for Hexham if you have somewhere else decent to practice, once it gets to 30 mins to get to the Slaley you're not really going to go there just to practice for 90 mins. Looks like they at least have a short game area at Hexham as well.

I say that without first hand knowledge of the courses in question

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
No to Slaley. Too wet. No to a 9 holer... been there, done that. Slow play screws up the start for the afternoon crowd. Yes to Hexham, but why are you moving on? Going east, Stocksfield, Prudoe or Tyneside - any of those 3. I used to play a couple of opens at Tyneside every year - love it.

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Nowt wrong with Hexham beezerky. In all honesty it is looking the most likely but I called in at Slayley on Saturday to chat with the pro and it's a bit special looking even on a wind swept freezing morning. Brampton (Talkin Tarn) is ideally situated 10 miles from work for evening practice but 50 mins from home for weekend comps or over holidays.

D

Deleted member 16999

It's still a corporate venue
Especially throughout the summer
It's most defenitely not a normal type members golf club
Yes they've a team and have comps
But hardly any working class fellas play there
Footballers and businessmen that use the place to network and exchange business cards

The 2's sweep is a fiver....

Some club comps I've known to be £20-40 entry
Hardly a normal golf club
I was there at the Range just after Christmas and the price is what one of the Pro's quoted to me, he also said it's the owner who wants to make it more of a members club and looking at the comps being no more than a tenner including 2's at weekends.

Maybe doing this if he's getting bad feedback and don't know if the memebership fee quoted is a special offer or not.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was there at the Range just after Christmas and the price is what one of the Pro's quoted to me, he also said it's the owner who wants to make it more of a members club and looking at the comps being no more than a tenner including 2's at weekends.

Maybe doing this if he's getting bad feedback and don't know if the memebership fee quoted is a special offer or not.

You drove all that way to use the range...??
Should have messaged me, I'd have joined you and bought you a coffee.
I only live couple of miles away in the next village.

I can only say I've never heard of the fees being that low though.
Lord T may have a point, if it's plus Vat....??

Give you an example of their comps
My nephew is a member and plays for the team there
Won his category 1 weekend...........£270.........!!!! :D

Spoke to him today, he has £700 in credit
If you get a 2 there it's more than what you get for winning an open at some places

D

Deleted member 16999

You drove all that way to use the range...??
Should have messaged me, I'd have joined you and bought you a coffee.
I only live couple of miles away in the next village.

I can only say I've never heard of the fees being that low though.
Lord T may have a point, if it's plus Vat....??

Give you an example of their comps
My nephew is a member and plays for the team there
Won his category 1 weekend...........£270.........!!!! :D

Spoke to him today, he has £700 in credit
If you get a 2 there it's more than what you get for winning an open at some places
It was follow on visit with the Pro, I had an assessment there 6 months ago and included in the price was a update assessment on the range.

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
I must admit to being slightly jealous at this thread - I am returning to golf after a long break and my three local clubs are £1,300 £1,500 £1,700 per annum for full 7 days membership

I wonder if its cheaper to just pay and play

I would go for Hexham

Last edited:

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I must admit to being slightly jealous at this thread - I am returning to golf after a long break and my three local clubs are £1,300 £1,500 £1,700 per annum for full 7 days membership

I wonder if its cheaper to just pay and play

I would go for Hexham

As has been said many times before
It's only relevant to the area, wages , cost of living etc......

Memberships in Northumberland county
Normally £500 - £680 , majority of normal type golf clubs
With only a few exceptions, and only 3 that touch the 4 figure sum for fees
Slaley ( pennies under )
The Northumberland ( approx twice the average cost )
Close house ( approx 4 times the average cost )

The big downside is, we have very few stand out golf courses, Infact there's only a few in the whole of the north TBH, we just have an abundance of very average golf courses

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When we stayed at Slaley they had member tees booked until mid day, if you could get out before then I think you'd get round in a normal time. Anytime after and we were playing 4.5/5 hour rounds, which wasn't a problem as we were on our jollies but for a member that would start to grind with the amount of money your membership is.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
When we stayed at Slaley they had member tees booked until mid day, if you could get out before then I think you'd get round in a normal time. Anytime after and we were playing 4.5/5 hour rounds, which wasn't a problem as we were on our jollies but for a member that would start to grind with the amount of money your membership is.

I don't see the issue with this
It's a long and tough championship course, white tees 6850yds
4.5hrs on a course like this would be what you'd expect
You're never gonna whizz around in 3.5 on a track like this, and if you've gone for a game there, you would be expecting this, or should

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't see the issue with this
It's a long and tough championship course, white tees 6850yds
4.5hrs on a course like this would be what you'd expect
You're never gonna whizz around in 3.5 on a track like this, and if you've gone for a game there, you would be expecting this, or should

Yes I agree, don't have a problem with it at all. It seems the norm for any hotel course.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree with what Moogie has said there but that would make it tough for many people for a week in week out course. You are tying up a lot of your day each time you want to play. No problem on a special occasion but awkward family wise if it is all the time.

wuuki456

Club Champion
Visit site
I was a corporate member at Slaley, I've played Hexham and Tyneside. For me I would join Tyneside or Hexham over Slaley.
I love the courses at Slaley but it's no good at all for winter golf. Some one has already mentioned that it's suffers in winter. Also if you were joining alone the other two are proper members clubs. Slaley is well run with tee times etc but wouldn't be the sort of course where some one would ask you to join them etc.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Don't know Allendale but I've played the other two. I love Slaley but would hate to play it as my home course because it's too much of a slog. Also, it's far too high up & is terribly wet in the winter. Don't know what Hexham is like when it's wet but would think it's a much better members club than Slaley.