A bank holiday for funeral

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I'm self employed, I'll be working - unless the good tax paying people of the United Kingdom are happy to contribute to cover the cost of my day off.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thknk the day of the funeral is right to be a Bank Holiday. I'm self employed, and even if it wasn't a BH I wasn't going to be working that day.
A) out of respect, and B) London will be so closed down for security it wouldn't be fun anyway.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thknk the day of the funeral is right to be a Bank Holiday. I'm self employed, and even if it wasn't a BH I wasn't going to be working that day.
A) out of respect, and B) London will be so closed down for security it wouldn't be fun anyway.

day of the funeral and the day of the coronation will both be bank holidays for this year only….so another to look forward to in the future

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
day of the funeral and the day of the coronation will both be bank holidays for this year only….so another to look forward to in the future

Seems the best thread to ask if anyone knows on (rather than post on the queen thread)

So I was reading all the changes that will happen ie

New money
New royal crest
New postboxes

The list goes on

A few moan "oh another cost to the tax payer just when we don't need it" (not going down that route) however it got me thinking does anyone know if this is something that hides in the public budget every single year (unused) until needed?

D

Deleted member 15344

Seems the best thread to ask if anyone knows on (rather than post on the queen thread)

New money
New royal crest
New postboxes

The list goes on

A few moan "oh another cost to the tax payer just when we don't need it" (not going down that route) however it got me thinking does anyone know if this is something that hides in the public budget every single year (unused) until needed?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59596996

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Thanks, however doesn't answer the budget question

There probably isn’t a budget for this. It just needs a few new designs/ changes of wording that means new stamps, notes, coins, passports etc will refer to KC3
Existing items will continue to run until they either expire or reach end of use.

So I don’t think it’s going to be a huge issue

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There probably isn’t a budget for this. It just needs a few new designs/ changes of wording that means new stamps, notes, coins, passports etc will refer to KC3
Existing items will continue to run until they either expire or reach end of use.

So I don’t think it’s going to be a huge issue
Exactly. The new designs will come in as things are replaced.
Anyone who thinks nothing has been done already ages ago needs to understand the system will always be one step ahead.

D-S

Visit site
I am due to be on a golf trip on 19/9 in Wales. I’m happy to cancel if appropriate, do you think golf courses ( including Royal ones) will be open for visitors that day?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am due to be on a golf trip on 19/9 in Wales. I’m happy to cancel if appropriate, do you think golf courses ( including Royal ones) will be open for visitors that day?
Ours is closed in the proshop and bar. The course will be only open to members if they want to play.

Reactions: D-S

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site

New money
New royal crest
New postboxes

The list goes on

Nothing will change straight away apart from the Royal Crest. All new monies and stamps produced will have the King's head and those existing with the Queen' s head will be phased out over time. As for post boxes, there are still ones round here with VR on them.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There should be no cost to changing the Letter boxes. It may still be called Royal Mail but it is no longer owned by the government. There should also be no reason to change them to GR as well for the same reason.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Doesn't make any difference if we had 9 Bank Holidays a year. Legislation states a minimum of 28 days holiday
8 Bank Holidays and 20 annual holidays.

Your employer may give you more than this, but would not be obliged to give you another day of holiday if Bank Holidays were increased to 9.

If we changed to 9 Bank Holidays that would leave us with 19 annual holidays.
It would need a change in legislation to make the minimum 29 days of holiday to make a difference.

For other European countries who have 11 Bank Holidays, their annual holidays are 17 days, if they have the same working time regs as us.
If one of their special days falls on a weekend, they still get 28 days of holiday.

For deceased monarch's funeral to be a special Bank Holiday, then it is up to the employer to give this as an extra day or take one off the annual leave if they feel stingy.

Last edited: