A bank holiday for funeral

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Doesn't make any difference if we had 9 Bank Holidays a year. Legislation states a minimum of 28 days holiday
8 Bank Holidays and 20 annual holidays.

Your employer may give you more than this, but would not be obliged to give you another day of holiday if Bank Holidays were increased to 9.

If we changed to 9 Bank Holidays that would leave us with 19 annual holidays.
It would need a change in legislation to make the minimum 29 days of holiday to make a difference.

For other European countries who have 11 Bank Holidays, their annual holidays are 17 days, if they have the same working time regs as us.
If one of their special days falls on a weekend, they still get 28 days of holiday.

You're welcome.
My boss would definitely knock it down to 19 ?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am due to be on a golf trip on 19/9 in Wales. I’m happy to cancel if appropriate, do you think golf courses ( including Royal ones) will be open for visitors that day?

Similar here and don't want to play that day so wondering if we'll be able to cancel and get a refund (Belfry overnight Mon-Tue break)...

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
There are eight bank holidays in England, nine in Scotland and ten in Northern Ireland.
And no one gets any more days off than anyone else, as the statutory minimum is 28 days total of bank holidays and annual holidays.

If you work in a 7-days-a-week job, (nurse, fireman etc) you become more aware of the 28 days total annual leave concept as bank holidays mean almost nothing to you.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And no one gets any more days off than anyone else, as the statutory minimum is 28 days total of bank holidays and annual holidays.

If you work in a 7-days-a-week job, (nurse, fireman etc) you become more aware of the 28 days total annual leave concept as bank holidays mean almost nothing to you.

Don't the 7 days services get extra leave for bank holidays . I know we get 28 days plus the bank holidays (which was more this year for the platty joobs and I assume will be one more day for the funeral)

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site

And if you are self employed, or work for yourself, it means diddly-squat anyway.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Don't the 7 days services get extra leave for bank holidays . I know we get 28 days plus the bank holidays (which was more this year for the platty joobs and I assume will be one more day for the funeral)
That is entirely up to what the employer chooses to give (or negotiated with employees) over and above the statutory minimum.
The employer is obliged to give only the statutory minimum of 28 days.
28 days holiday is the legal entitlement.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
The problem with declaring a bank holiday at such short notice is that it can have quite serious consequences for some people.
Example: anyone who has exchanged contracts for a house move with a completion date of 19th Sept is now in a bit of a pickle. How are the solicitors (even if they are prepared to work on a bank holiday) going to do the necessary financial transactions if the banks are not operating?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
The problem with declaring a bank holiday at such short notice is that it can have quite serious consequences for some people.
Example: anyone who has exchanged contracts for a house move with a completion date of 19th Sept is now in a bit of a pickle. How are the solicitors (even if they are prepared to work on a bank holiday) going to do the necessary financial transactions if the banks are not operating?

good point, that’s potentially a major problem for people in that position

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It won't matter to me, we work every bank holiday anyway. The only three days we get off are Easter Sunday and Christmas/Boxing days.
And if they thought they could get us in on Boxing day, I can guarantee they'd open up.
Funny thing is, it's only the sales department that opens, parts and service don't. They don't open on Saturday afternoons or Sundays either. Funny that...????