98 points won today!

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Interested to hear if they’re newish players. I know a few high handicappers who are new to the game and don’t count penalty drops, lost balls etc. Then again they may have just smashed it so fair play 👏

I see this type of quote quite often on here lately & tbh I'm sick of it.
New players / improving players / the round of his life / blah, blah.
No.
Cheats playing off the wrong handicap bringing the whole ethos of the game into disrepute.
Period.

incatrekker

Visit site
Did they play texas scramble or something?

In our captains drive-in, 97 points won - but that was best 2 from 4. Handicaps were 26, 26, 21 and 11.
My team was runner up with 95 points, handicaps of 4, 8, 14 and 21. The 21 handicapper naturally did a lot of the heavy lifting - he is a new member, former nomad and is quite clearly a huge bandit off his handicap. He is already down to 19, and shot 38 pts with 2 blobs today in the competition (so likely another decent cut!).

98pts with best 2 from 3 is ridiculous!

It was 2 from 3 stabelford. Scores recorded were 1x8pts hole, 1x7pts hole, 10x6pts holes. Course rating 69.6 Par 72

incatrekker

Visit site
The CONGU recommended allowance is 85%. Predictably, using 95% seems to have heavily favoured higher handicappers.

To assess anything else, as a minimum we'd need to know the Course Rating and Par for the course, and (as others have said) something about the golfers involved.

Scores recorded were 1x8pts hole, 1x7pts hole, 10x6pts holes. Course rating 69.6 Par 72
98 is an excellent score if it is 2 from 4. Crazy good 2 from 3. I wonder how many 4 and 5 pointers each player had.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Just wait till the summer when the big comps start with the big prizes, then you're going to see some crazy scores

I see this type of quote quite often on here lately & tbh I'm sick of it.
New players / improving players / the round of his life / blah, blah.
No.
Cheats playing off the wrong handicap bringing the whole ethos of the game into disrepute.
Period.

It's been going on for decades but will just get worse.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
His course handicap was 44, yes he is new to the game and we are unable to put any qualifying scores in due to course alterations for winter, it happens most years but that is way above any score I have ever seen.
How many scores is that 44 based on?
He appears to have shot 19 over par.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our last 3 man Bowmaker was an Open

It was won with 88 points 8,11 and 14 handicaps using 85%

I would agree with wjemather if you used 95% then that could easily account for the higher score.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Our roll ups play a lot of this. In summer it's not an issue but winter, we play a short course and mats. I don't think we have had anything as high as that but there was a 92 the other week.
We only have 2 guys of 20 handicap, probably about half now are mid teen and the rest all single figures and under. Usually the winning team included one of the guys higher teen or 20. Getting 2 shots on si 1 5th which is at least 100 yards shorter in winter and the fairway bunkers are not in play. When we had a winter card for the old winter tees the 5th was si 16🤣

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
His course handicap was 44, yes he is new to the game and we are unable to put any qualifying scores in due to course alterations for winter, it happens most years but that is way above any score I have ever seen.

Doesn't sound like someone new to the game - I would expect your Handicap Committee to be asking some searching questions.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Team comps with WHS seem to have resulted in a hike in scores. 97 points best 2 from 3 is crazy high.

We had a scramble over 12 holes a few weeks ago. We had have to have had 8 eagles and 4 birdies to tie the leaders !!!!!!

incatrekker

Visit site
The CONGU recommended allowance is 85%. Predictably, using 95% seems to have heavily favoured higher handicappers.

To assess anything else, as a minimum we'd need to know the Course Rating and Par for the course, and (as others have said) something about the golfers involved.
Par 72, CR 69.6, 6100 yards.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Today was a 2 from 3 better ball stableford. Yellow tees, placing on fairways, SR 130, 95% H'Cap no limit. The winning teams teams H'Caps were 20, 38, 24. The winning margin was 8 points. I'd be interested in comments on this score from others, please.
Depend on their playing record. If they are long term members playing in most comps then they’ve probably just had a good day. way back when I was around 24hcp I scored 9 over in a comp. There more scored to achieve it and if someone is getting 2 shots every hole, it won’t take much to build a good score in a team with the stress off.

however, we have witnessed a 4 ball at our place only do well in team comps and asked for it to be looked into. In the main it’s usually mid/low handicapper’s paranoia and exactly the reason why there should be a minimum of two divisions in singles and maybe 3 in team comps.