95% - why?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I find this very useful and share it when asked this question;-
From 2nd November 2020, England and all the other nations under CONGU® transitioned to the World Handicapping System taking us from an incremental system to one which averaged the best 8 of our last 20 scores to calculate handicaps. Amongst other things, we’re having to get used to new terminology. We no longer have a handicap but a Handicap Index which will change depending on the course being played, giving a Course Handicap and a further adjustment may be necessary depending on the format of the event we’re playing in giving us a Playing Handicap and this is where many players are perplexed. They can understand the concept of adjusting a handicap because of the difficulty of the course for a bogey golfer relative to a scratch golfer but why adjust further because of the type of competition, especially when playing in a single strokeplay competition? Answer: to achieve Equity in a competition for the allocation of prizes.
Take a scratch player and look at their typical scoring pattern. A scratch golfer is likely to have a very tight range of scores usually playing close to their handicap. This is why they’re scratch
golfers - they’re consistently returning low scores. Yes, they may have the odd round where they return an outrageously bad score (for them) but these won’t count in the best 8 of 20 calculation and they don’t happen very often.
Selecting a real scratch player at random and scrutinising their record, finds that the best score differential was -1.8 from the Handicap Index.
A bogey player’s scoring patten is much wider than that of a scratch player. They simply don’t have the consistency required to score low regularly and often have ‘blow up’ holes. They can also play ‘out of their skin’ and return scores that they usually only dream of but these are few and far between. It is this irregular scoring patten that keeps them as bogey golfers.
Selecting a real bogey player at random and scrutinising their record, finds that the best score differential was -4.7 from the Handicap Index, nearly three times the scratch golfers best.
Now run a club competition open to all players. Generally, only 2% of the field will be scratch or very low handicapped
golfers and this tips the balance heavily in the favour of a bogey golfer winning the competition if Course Handicap was used. As the field increases, the odds increase that one or more bogey golfer will shoot their best round and the scratch golfer has little or no chance of winning.
Analysis of thousands of actual scores indicates that 95% of Course Handicap for single strokeplay events provides the most balanced chances of winning for all golfers.
The justification for 100% for single matchplay is because the low handicapped golfer is competing against just one high handicapper. The lower handicapped player would typically win slightly more than 50% of the time with the higher handicapped golfer being unbeatable when having one of their dream days. Again, thousands of actuals scores support the analysis.
One parting note. The 95% adjustment was applied when calculating CONGU® handicaps we just didn’t know it.

That has now shown me why it is what it is. And it makes it clear, the reasoning, that is.
If it were 95 % strokeplay, and 100 match Play, period -fair enough. But doesn't it get more complicated than this for certain other comp formats? 4 balls etc?
If so, I don't see the need . Ok, there may be similar rationale as to why, but I would have thought 95% strokeplay, 100% match play _ simple..

And as long as the computer works, and HDID app, I find when I use the app to book in the comp, it gives me the three handicaps already worked out for me. Again, simple.
If the App is down etc , then HI is used against the chart at the course and take 1 off the Course handicap to get how many strokes you get that day will get you where you need to be re playing handicap.

One question I am not clear on. The completed card is signed and submitted.
Normally,
When I get home I enter my score on HDID. I take it that this is incidental and not really necessary in that if the computer was down and the HDID entry couldn't be made, the results still stand and there is no penalty of any sort Fodor not completing HDID?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I get home I enter my score on HDID. I take it that this is incidental and not really necessary in that if the computer was down and the HDID entry couldn't be made, the results still stand and there is no penalty of any sort Fodor not completing HDID?
Your scores have to be entered somewhere.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We were quite impressed playing our first away seniors T/scramble comp on Thursday, under the new system and current Covid restrictions.
When we initially entered the comp online we were asked for our CDH numbers.
On arriving, our names and handicap allowance were already on the card, all we had to do was enter the scores.
When we finished a young man wearing disposable gloves and visor, took our card and entered the scores in the club PSI.(y)
We came 5th with a 59.6 :cry::cry:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
For competitions my place prints small stickers out and attaches them to everyone's card and then gives the card to each player as they check in.

The sticker has the comp name, player name, date, start time, course handicap and playing handicap on it.

A bit of a ball ache for someone to have to do but it cuts down on confusion on the tee and headaches later for the organisers.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We were quite impressed playing our first away seniors T/scramble comp on Thursday, under the new system and current Covid restrictions.
When we initially entered the comp online we were asked for our CDH numbers.
On arriving, our names and handicap allowance were already on the card, all we had to do was enter the scores.
When we finished a young man wearing disposable gloves and visor, took our card and entered the scores in the club PSI.(y)

Last time I entered all the cards I tried wearing disposable gloves and gave up with them. In the end I just kept some sanitiser on the table to clean my hands on a frequent basis.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For competitions my place prints small stickers out and attaches them to everyone's card and then gives the card to each player as they check in.

The sticker has the comp name, player name, date, start time, course handicap and playing handicap on it.

A bit of a ball ache for someone to have to do but it cuts down on confusion on the tee and headaches later for the organisers.

Some one must be fairly diligent. To be sure a players handicap is correct it would have had to done after the nightly update.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I've played seven times this year so far; two friendlies and five comps. I have yet to have a game without something along these lines taking place on the first tee.
I've played two comps. Each time I've signed in at home on the HDID app and been given, by the app, my HI, my CH and my PH.
I then make out the card accordingly, or advise the person in our group who is doing that.
Don't others do that?
I haven't used the system for a non competitive round.( as we are urged to do!)
I don't know if it works the same with HDID, but, in any event, when I play social golf with a mate , we use gimmes etc. so no problem.
As for gross scores in stableford, I agree that they should be the main thought, but so many I play with are so engrossed with points.
Personally, I,d like to see only gross scores recorded for each hole.
Blobs would show zero, or a dash.Folks could keep a mental tally of their points if they like, but on the card, just have gross scores!
Save mistakes/unnecessary discussion etc.
After all, that's all that is entered in the computer.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok, but that hasn't answered the question?.
The card is with the competition secretary- isn't that enough?
Because if it isn't, what happens in the case of a computer outage, or HDID website down etc
So how does it get to H/cap Sec?
In case of any of the latter happening we'd expect an image if the card to be emailed to us. Wed then record it for you, simples!!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've played two comps. Each time I've signed in at home on the HDID app and been given, by the app, my HI, my CH and my PH.
I then make out the card accordingly, or advise the person in our group who is doing that.
Don't others do that?
I haven't used the system for a non competitive round.( as we are urged to do!)
I don't know if it works the same with HDID, but, in any event, when I play social golf with a mate , we use gimmes etc. so no problem.
As for gross scores in stableford, I agree that they should be the main thought, but so many I play with are so engrossed with points.
Personally, I,d like to see only gross scores recorded for each hole.
Blobs would show zero, or a dash.Folks could keep a mental tally of their points if they like, but on the card, just have gross scores!
Save mistakes/unnecessary discussion etc.
After all, that's all that is entered in the computer.
We just use two cards gross scores on your own and keep stableford on a spare card for all players.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
So how does it get to H/cap Sec?
In case of any of the latter happening we'd expect an image if the card to be emailed to us. Wed then record it for you, simples!!

Here we go. Us oldies have to be photo/email savvy . Some have no use of a computer . In my case transferring my image to my email computer etc isn't " simples", let alone desirable. ( all I want to do is play golf?)
To you, this is nothing - to me, and plenty of others it would be a PITA.
And who is "us" that I would email this image to?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Here we go. Us oldies have to be photo/email savvy . Some have no use of a computer . In my case transferring my image to my email computer etc isn't " simples", let alone desirable. ( all I want to do is play golf?)

Not really difficult though is it. Presuming you have a smart phone. My 90 yeah old grandma could easily send and email, WhatsApp, facetime etc with her iPhone and iPad. She chose to learn how to use them rather than using the excuse that because she was old she didn't understand it.

Swango1980

Visit site
To be fair, the restriction in NOT handing in physical cards in recent times has been Covid related, nothing to do with the tech. The tech had been useful, including emails and photo messages, as it has enabled us to continue playing golf without those on the Committee having an additional risk, however small, of catching Covid.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
To be fair, the restriction in NOT handing in physical cards in recent times has been Covid related, nothing to do with the tech. The tech had been useful, including emails and photo messages, as it has enabled us to continue playing golf without those on the Committee having an additional risk, however small, of catching Covid.
See post 123.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
See post 123.

Its just an excuse for not wanting to do something.

How many people don't have a phone capable of taking a photo or sending an email? This has been common now for 10/15 years. So its not exactly new fangled tech.

If you don't, ask one of your playing partners to take a photo and email it to you, then forward it on.

Swango1980

Visit site
See post 123.
That is fair enough, but not all Committee members wished to put themselves in that position, even wearing a mask. I am pretty sure the Play Safe, Stay Safe guidelines didn't allow it during the height of Covid either.

Our Seniors submitted physical cards in a box. The box was left alone for 3 days, and then they were processed by Seniors Committee. So, that was an option, albeit players had to wait 3 days for results. It was feasible pre WHS, but post WHS not really appropriate as scores needed to be entered by midnight on the day played.

However, our Seniors have finally got round to using howdidido. They never used to book into comps using it as some deemed it to be completely inappropriate and difficult to do. The Seniors Committee decides to start using it a few months ago, and suddenly they realise it is a piece of cake.

tobybarker

Visit site
Given that all we need to enter is the gross, why do cards have boxes for HCP, index, points, etc etc? Never understood why all that is of interest to the committee. One column of numbers for each player, let the computer do the rest.

tobybarker

Visit site
Given that all we need to enter is the gross, why do cards have boxes for HCP, index, points, etc etc? Never understood why all that is of interest to the committee. One column of numbers for each player, let the computer do the rest.
In a stroke play of course

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's an interesting point. It comes down to the value of a card now that we have computerised systems. The last year has suggested that cards are now largely unnecessary other than for writing what you suggest. The need for everything else on the card is superfluous.

Yesterday I completed a card for myself and my pp. I didn't write the date, the comp, either handicap. Just our names, number of shots on each hole. It was stableford. As you say, allow the computer to do its stuff.