95% - why?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I don't recall there being any confusion when we used to play stableford with a 87.5% (7/8) allowance, but medals with 100% allowance. We just did it, because that was the rule for those decades when it was the case.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
It is getting incredibly tiresome turning up on the first tee and filling out the score cards.

"What is your handicap?"
"17"
"Is that course or playing?"
"It is what the computer told me"
"Yes, but we need the course handicap on the card"
"I think 17 is my Playing"
"OK, so your course is 18?"
"I guess so"
"And you, what is your handicap"
"12.2"
"OK, that must be your Index, what is your Course handicap"
"Not sure"
"Did you check the board?"
"No"
"OK, let me get my calculator out...OK course handicap is 14"
"And finally, what about your handicap?"
"I'm playing off 16"
"OK, was that on the computer? I guess that means your course handicap is 17"
"No, it is what I played off last time in the doubles"
"You are not off 16 then, that was 90% of course handicap. So, I presume your Course handicap is 18, so you will be off 17 Playing Handicap?"
"Hmmmm, no idea, I'll go back up to club and check the board"

That is just one example. But, generally, when filling out the card on the 1st tee, it takes bloody ages. Need to get there early just so that our group can have this discussion earlier, and then I can warm up properly
I've played seven times this year so far; two friendlies and five comps. I have yet to have a game without something along these lines taking place on the first tee.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I've played seven times this year so far; two friendlies and five comps. I have yet to have a game without something along these lines taking place on the first tee.

Thankfully, my PPs have appeared on the Tee without any of that so far. I reckon the first "4 ball matchplay or scramble" will be carnage though! :)

Why is this so complicated? Playing competitively off different handicaps for different formats has always been a thing?

"Change" always causes questions, poorly managed change causes disproportionate panic! :) Previously, you were only working out a percentage of the "only number you had for a handicap!"

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I've taken the time to understand the system, and have never asked any of those questions on the first tee. Ive always known what my index is, what my course handicap is, and what my playing handicap is. I have also been able to write my name, the competition name and the date on my card.

Sounds from this thread like I may be the most intelligent being to walk the earth!!

Voyager EMH

Visit site
I've taken the time to understand the system, and have never asked any of those questions on the first tee. Ive always known what my index is, what my course handicap is, and what my playing handicap is. I have also been able to write my name, the competition name and the date on my card.

Sounds from this thread like I may be the most intelligent being to walk the earth!!
I do have a problem with the date sometimes. Usually, younger playing partners are very understanding and helpful in this regard.

Swango1980

Visit site

Trust me, you are. I have had cards submitted with the players name simply as "Dad" or "Steve". There are a significant proportion of golfers who just turn up and play without ever wanting to research the rules of handicapping (or even just the rules). As a handicap secretary I'd like to think I am very knowledgeable on WHS. I've researched it long enough. But, as a handicap secretary I also wish it was as simple as possible, because it causes a world of pain when you get many many confused club members, many of whom you are pretty sure will never fully come to terms with the system. So, I just want them to have one handicap they they need to worry about it, and then let them go out and play.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The Rules of Golf say we should putt out but every swindle I play in has gimmes.
Our swindles have always had gimmes and these continue if there is an informal comp in any fourball playing in the swindle...but they then have to be holed. That takes seconds as the ttruth is that the vast majority of gimmes are tap-ins and very unlikely to be missed in any case. Where a gimme is longer and could be missed then in the context of the overall swindle comp maybe it shouldn’t be getting given.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Trust me, you are. I have had cards submitted with the players name simply as "Dad" or "Steve". There are a significant proportion of golfers who just turn up and play without ever wanting to research the rules of handicapping (or even just the rules). As a handicap secretary I'd like to think I am very knowledgeable on WHS. I've researched it long enough. But, as a handicap secretary I also wish it was as simple as possible, because it causes a world of pain when you get many many confused club members, many of whom you are pretty sure will never fully come to terms with the system. So, I just want them to have one handicap they they need to worry about it, and then let them go out and play.

Ive said since my early days, I'll never criticise a volunteer until I'm willing to volunteer in their place. As far as WHS is concerned club committees are key.

Handicap secretarys are holding this together, competition teams are putting in hundreds more hours.

You all demand the utmost respect from your members, who should be ashamed they cant pay attention for 5 minutes to get this right.

sunshine

Visit site
The 95 percent is to balance the results due to the nature of variability brought about by the size of the field.

Playing with your mates (depending how many you have!) Doesnt need this balancing so you dont need to apply the 95%.

But the 95% should have been built into the calculation instead of being a separate adjustment

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is an excellent example of confusing the Rules of Golf with discussion regarding the Rules of Handicapping.
but is an excellent example of groups of players not playing in a comp not having to follow the Rules of Handicapping. I know of at lest 2 swindles that are continuing with swindle handicaps when they play.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

So why are you writing it on your card when your marker is the only one who is supposed to touch the card?

Voyager EMH

Visit site
but is an excellent example of groups of players not playing in a comp not having to follow the Rules of Handicapping. I know of at lest 2 swindles that are continuing with swindle handicaps when they play.
Good. You are back on track now with regard to social golf and handicapping. Gimmies has nothing to do with what handicaps people are playing off.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So why are you writing it on your card when your marker is the only one who is supposed to touch the card?

It is the other way round where I play.

Players keep their own score and it is verbally agreed with the marker.

This is something that I hope they keep. Any errors on the card are the players own fault.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good. You are back on track now with regard to social golf and handicapping. Gimmies has nothing to do with what handicaps people are playing off.

When you have been on here for while you will learn that many threads go off at tangents to slightly related topics . Bit like an ordinary conversation really.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
When you have been on here for while you will learn that many threads go off at tangents to slightly related topics . Bit like an ordinary conversation really.
Thank you for the advice and guidance. I do need some from time time to time and have asked for some on other threads. I've been here (planet earth) for some considerable time.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would have been far too simple to what the Aussies have done.

Plenty of bewildered golfers in evidence around the 1st tee trying to work it out. Pro is tearing his remaining hair trying to keep them right.

Never previously not added Stableford scores up on a card so the advice to just put the gross scores down is very strange and its like playing in the dark for some I guess.
There is nothing to prevent you putting stableford points on your card now. You have always been required to put the gross hole score on your cards. No change there.