95% - why?

balaclava

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Personally I am of the view that the WHCS (as it was originally advocated) is better than the old CONGU system. The CONGU system was not sufficiently dynamic to move up and down to accurately reflect players performance - the WHCS is. The problem is that those making decisions have buckled under pressure from the voices that shout loudest. In this case the low handicappers complaining that the high handicappers re getting too many shots making it difficult for them to maintain the usual supplement to their salaries. The problem is that in doing that (95%) it brings on all kinds of other questions.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
maybe other people think differently to you and want a friendly game with their mates of differing abilities, you know, the reason there is a handicap system in the first place...... if all youre doing is playing scratch golf of course you dont care about the handicap system lol

Did you miss the word 'personally' when reading my post? I don't keep track of my score as I play as I'm only interested in it when I've finished.

I fully expect everyone has a different opinion on things. Life would be very boring otherwise.

I just don't get why people are getting themselves into a tizz over the WHS. Its new for all of us and may take some a while to understand. But its the same for everyone.

Playing somewhere new. Just check the EG app for your course handicap or the board outside. Playing in a comp. Do the same and work out what 95% of it is. Its really not that hard.

I'm also a very long way from playing scratch golf, but applying a handicap just masks that, as such I don't care what it is.

D

Deleted member 15344

Do we need to check our h/c index every time we play, in case a high score has dropped of and a low score has come in .
Or should your CDH number be enough for playing away courses, providing it is working and up to date.

I would check it the day after a score is entered into your record ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Personally I am of the view that the WHCS (as it was originally advocated) is better than the old CONGU system. The CONGU system was not sufficiently dynamic to move up and down to accurately reflect players performance - the WHCS is. The problem is that those making decisions have buckled under pressure from the voices that shout loudest. In this case the low handicappers complaining that the high handicappers re getting too many shots making it difficult for them to maintain the usual supplement to their salaries. The problem is that in doing that (95%) it brings on all kinds of other questions.

I’m guessing there is something to back that up ?‍♂️ - am I right in guessing your handicap is affected by the 95%

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
maybe other people think differently to you and want a friendly game with their mates of differing abilities, you know, the reason there is a handicap system in the first place...... if all youre doing is playing scratch golf of course you dont care about the handicap system lol

If you don’t want to work out the exact handicaps, and it is purely for a friendly game with your mates then I’d just play off your HI. It’s going to be within 1 or 2 shots of what it should be and you don’t have to worry about working anything out.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you don’t want to work out the exact handicaps, and it is purely for a friendly game with your mates then I’d just play off your HI. It’s going to be within 1 or 2 shots of what it should be and you don’t have to worry about working anything out.

my dads group have reverted to their pre WHS handicaps, ie what they know/understand and perceive as fair

me, im just trying to work out how to get me a nice big number when i can finally get back playing again ;)

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do we need to check our h/c index every time we play, in case a high score has dropped of and a low score has come in .
Or should your CDH number be enough for playing away courses, providing it is working and up to date.

CDH number contains all you need. Make sure you have the SGU app and you'll be fine.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The calculation for any change to your Handicap Index after play is not affected by the 95%. The Playing Handicap is only used to determine the competition scores.
Your Course Handicap is used for the calculation of the difference between your gross score and the Course Rating. This is then 'de-sloped' to produce you Score Differential (ie the figure shown on your playing record on the WHS Platform. Your Handicap Index is the average of the best 8 of the latest 20 Score Differentials.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just use the course handicap for each player. If all are playing their common home course then all will know their CH and it is dead easy to check if you think your most recent round may have changed your HI and your CH. PH? Again - if your own course you’ll know it for the most common formats. And that’s it’s- it’s not difficult. It really isn’t.

My concerns about WHS fell away when I stopped obsessing about the minutia of my handicap index calc. I just let the club system work that out - and whatever it says it is then that’s what it is.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought exactly the same as the OP when I heard about this. Why not just factor the 95% into the calculation if it's that important, instead of making us impart more brainpower on it. I suspect there are quite a few DQs at the moment from people writing their index or course hcap down instead of their 95% one. And yes it obviously is to pander to low handicap moaners, but they'll still moan anyway. ?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I thought exactly the same as the OP when I heard about this. Why not just factor the 95% into the calculation if it's that important, instead of making us impart more brainpower on it. I suspect there are quite a few DQs at the moment from people writing their index or course hcap down instead of their 95% one. And yes it obviously is to pander to low handicap moaners, but they'll still moan anyway. ?

You can't win either way. One group or another will moan whatever solution is put in place.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
So the lower handicappers complained that the higher handicappers had an unfair advantage. So chucked in the 95% To make it fairer. And the WHS just for a laugh they upped the max hcap to 36 ? Thats really made it fairer giving them another 8 shots.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
We have a WHC and we have a playing HC for each course. Why when I play in a comp (yellow tee / white tee / Stableford / Medal) do I play off 95% of my HC? Why? There has to be a reason? What is the point in having a HC why not call that 95% of number my HC?
Because them's the rules.
Try reading the new Rules of Handicapping.

My own interpretation is that Course Handicap is a measure of me against the course, in isolation, without any competition element.
When playing with and against others, I must play off the correct Playing Handicap for the format of play.

I have some doubts that statistical analysis resulted in everything working out so neatly to 95%, 90%, 85%, 75% etc.
I would really like to know what the accurate figures were/are for these Playing Handicaps as a result of the statistical analysis.

We used to play stableford with a 87.5% allowance. We called it seven eighths.
Matchplay was 75% of the difference, singles and betterball.
There have been many changes since then. I've always been able to adapt to the changes.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Just look at the app on your phone which should be up to date every day.
I have both the Scottish Golf one (brilliant for entering a general play score on any course (only in Scotland though) and the club IG one.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just look at the app on your phone which should be up to date every day.
I have both the Scottish Golf one (brilliant for entering a general play score on any course (only in Scotland though) and the club IG one.
Yeah my club uses IG and it's good, there's a page on there telling you your index, your playing hcap off all tees, and your competition hcap off all the tees. So you don't have to work anything out, just look there and it tells you how many shots you're getting. Very handy.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I think we should change things up.

For all those too lazy to take the time to understand the new handicap system. Just dont use it, plus gross score, turn you and your friends golf into the meritocracy enjoyed by every other sport.

If on the other hand, you do like the fact that golf is the only sport commonly played where talent is less important than form, and anyone has an equal chance no matter their ability. Take 10 minutes to figure out how the system works

Its been poured over by highly experienced and qualified statisticians just for you, show some appreciation.

Last edited: