9 hole golf courses

Ser Shankalot

Visit site
I think the more high quality 9 hole courses there are, the better. I've had quite a few non-golfing friends tell me this year that the jump from driving range to full 18 hole course to be quite intimidating.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our 9 hole course was designed as somewhere existing players could go and still have a good test of their skills.

Grizzly

Visit site
Thats the thing - a good nine hole course is a wonderful thing, but most hear "nine holer" and think of the trainer layouts that many bigger pay and play facilities host.

Ser Shankalot

Visit site
Would not playing just 9 on the 18 hole course be a good start?
I think it could be that the 9 is designed as part of an 18hole layout, with challenges to match and with most other people on the course playing it as a full 18. I try to tell people that as long as your respectful of both the course and other players, nobody cares. But I’m guessing they don’t want to look silly or pressurised in front of others. Whereas on a 9 hole course, even if it’s well designed and attractive, it’s clearly for practice for everyone rather than a full game and less pressure.
To me, the analogy would be ski slopes. Specially laid out blue runs and red runs help people transition from nursery slopes to the blacks and get a feel for the sport.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am a member of 9 hole course (18 tees). I love it because

1. Everyone is friendly and welcoming to golfers of all levels

2. It suits me as I can play 9 in the evening

3. It’s great value

4. You can turn up with a pencil bag and Decathlon golf clothes and no one cares

I may of course have got all this from an 18 hole course.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Know a few. Nine inside Sandown Park race course and one down the road at Thames Ditton. The latter is a really poor course laid on common land with two tee boxes to make an 18 but not a good layout

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My old Local Authority used to have two P&P's, one par 3, two 9 hole, one 18 hole course, a 30 bay range and a three hole practice area.
In my time there they produced many fine golfers and introduced golf to thousands.

Sadly one 9 hole, the par 3, one P&P and practice course have closed recently.
The par 3 was a stand alone site and was the least used facility.

Looney lefty

Visit site
I’m a member of a 9 hole par 3 course. Yardage is between 80 yards - 150 yards with quite small greens. As a beginner it’s good for me to practice my short game, I had mates who are very low teen handicappers come along and they’ve been caught out by it a few times.

It’s now run by Paul Page who has massively made a difference to it, both teaching and getting the greens into excellent condition

https://www.thepaulpagegolfacademy.co.uk/golf-course

dronfield

Visit site
Have played some cracking 9 hole courses over the years - Bakewell & Alderley Edge immediately spring to mind.
A great option if you only want to play a few holes after work - my current club 9th hole is not near the clubhouse, so you are reliant on there being gaps on the course if you want to only play a few holes working your way back to the clubhouse.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I am a member of a 9 hole course, the only reason there are nine holes is they could not fit anymore on the land available to them when they built it, of the other nine hole courses i have played I have never come across any 'short' ones, all the holes the same as any other course just a reduced number of them.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am a member of a 9 hole course, the only reason there are nine holes is they could not fit anymore on the land available to them when they built it, of the other nine hole courses i have played I have never come across any 'short' ones, all the holes the same as any other course just a reduced number of them.

I think what the OP needs or is referring too more is a par 3 course .. my club has one next to driving range

80-130 yard holes

Really good to practice and for beginners

Hoganman1

Visit site
I learned to play on a nine hole course that was in a small town in South Carolina in the mid 60s. It was fairly short by today's standards, but presented an adequate challenge back then. It was a par 36 around 3300 yards with two par fives and two par threes. We would play our first nine from one set of tees and a different set for our back nine. The club had a teaching pro, many active members and was usually in really good condition. It survived until around 2000 , but like a lot of clubs is no longer open. While I like the idea of having more nine hole tracts, my guess is it's not going to happen any time soon.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love a good 9 hole course, have a real soft spot for them. We need more in the UK, with a club attached, real competitors etc.

We don’t really need to many new 18 hole courses as we probably have too many.

More 9 hole courses are needed to grow the game as they fit far better into modern life than full 18s. 18s have their place though and it isn’t a 100% conversion, just a balance to be struck.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I play at a 9 hole course, it's where my son has lessons and is perfect for beginners and those looking for a slightly simpler game. Shortest hole is 90 yards and longest 300. It's a decent round and is really good for the short game 2nd shot. Played 18 there Sunday, 1st 9 went for the green on all holes and the 2nd game laid up to between 30 and 60 yards allowing short game practice.

As mentioned above it's also good if you have limited time, you can pop round in an hour or so if you play well. The course is very popular and has lots of odler and younger members.

Sturminster Marshall Golf Club

Hoganman1

Visit site
I love a good 9 hole course, have a real soft spot for them. We need more in the UK, with a club attached, real competitors etc.

We don’t really need to many new 18 hole courses as we probably have too many.

More 9 hole courses are needed to grow the game as they fit far better into modern life than full 18s. 18s have their place though and it isn’t a 100% conversion, just a balance to be struck.
I totally agree. However, everything including golf is money driven today. Investors want quick results. When they weigh the cost of building a nine hole course against how quickly they will get a return, it might deter them from doing it.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I totally agree. However, everything including golf is money driven today. Investors want quick results. When they weigh the cost of building a nine hole course against how quickly they will get a return, it might deter them from doing it.
Difficult to make money on a new stand alone 9 hole golf course.
Works in the isolated medium sized town but not where there is a lot of competition around.

Royal Worlington, Ryde, Dorking and Strawberry hill are my Favourite 9 holers.