9 hole cards for handicap

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
As the nights are drawing it's becoming difficult to put an 18 hole score in on WHS after work. I'm sure many will still be going to the club for a few evening holes so will you be submitting 9 hole scores to the WHS ?

Our front 9 regular plays a couple of shots easier than the back for me, so it doesn't feel right that I should do it.......

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have a regular Wednesday 9 hole comp and have been putting in cards, even when it wasn't a qualifier (it is now). As long as the 9 holes have been rated it shouldn't be a problem - and you will possibly get less than half your shots if it is an 'easier' 9

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have a regular Wednesday 9 hole comp and have been putting in cards, even when it wasn't a qualifier (it is now). As long as the 9 holes have been rated it shouldn't be a problem - and you will possibly get less than half your shots if it is an 'easier' 9

9 hole competition is a good idea. We only have a midweek stableford (18 holes) so I'll be fighting the light playing in that.

Swango1980

Visit site
As the nights are drawing it's becoming difficult to put an 18 hole score in on WHS after work. I'm sure many will still be going to the club for a few evening holes so will you be submitting 9 hole scores to the WHS ?

Our front 9 regular plays a couple of shots easier than the back for me, so it doesn't feel right that I should do it.......
If your 9 holes have been rated though, then technically this should not be an issue. Does your club have the option to register and submit scores for 9 holes?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our 9 hole course is the only one on the EG portal for handicap purposes.

Most players with main course membership still want to play on that even if they know they cannot get 18 holes in.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone.

My question was more a generic one. Will people be submitting 9 hole cards now the nights are getting shorter ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

My question was more a generic one. Will people be submitting 9 hole cards now the nights are getting shorter ?

Me, no because I am retired. I would not want my handicap to be based upon 9 holes anyway.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

We have been playing 9-hole "qualifiers" every Wednesday evening since April with around 30 playing front 9 and back 9 on alternate weeks. We also have a few of our older players regularly submitting 9-hole General Play rounds. Things have changed since WHS appeared.

D

Deleted member 1147

I always play matchplay if I go up for a mid-week knock with mates, can I submit a card in that case?

Swango1980

Visit site
I always play matchplay if I go up for a mid-week knock with mates, can I submit a card in that case?
Technically, no. Match Play rounds are not acceptable formats of play for handicapping in the UK.

However, if you are playing under stroke play rules (no gimmes for example) and it is a social round, I doubt anyone would give you too much grief if you pre-register and submit your score. In fact, you ARE technically playing stroke play at that point anyway, the match play element is simply a side game you are scoring.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Before you jump right in and submit 9-hole scores, take a very close look at,

1. How your handicap is calculated
2. What differentials you will achieve for a typical range of scores.

It is much, much more complicated than 18-hole scores.

wjemather

Visit site
Before you jump right in and submit 9-hole scores, take a very close look at,

1. How your handicap is calculated
2. What differentials you will achieve for a typical range of scores.

It is much, much more complicated than 18-hole scores.
Just no. People certainly do not need to be sweating about the intricacies of the calculations, and how scaling means that good/bad 9 or 18 hole scores could affect their index differently.

Almost all golfers should simply be encouraged to not be precious about their handicap, pre-register and submit all acceptable scores, and just let their handicap take care of itself.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Just no. People certainly do not need to be sweating about the intricacies of the calculations, and how scaling means that good/bad 9 or 18 hole scores could affect their index differently.

Almost all golfers should simply be encouraged to not be precious about their handicap, pre-register and submit all acceptable scores, and just let their handicap take care of itself.
Completely agree. Everyone has the right to choose their level of ignorance/knowledge.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Yes all scorecards I do will be submitted, save any texas scrambles/matchplay style games.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I presume from that you know where Junior plays

Nope, just most courses listed on EG have a slope rating that will allow a nine hole scoring.
Personally I don't go to nine hole courses - if I'm visiting 18 holes + or I wouldn't bother. I only do nine if I go to my club and times short.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I'd love to but sadly my course isn't rated for 9 so I can't. If that changes then absolutely, I would.

Let the system do its job, don't worry about degrees of difficulty.

D

Deleted member 3432

Didn't realise this but our front 9 is rated.
9th green as far away from clubhouse as it gets so don't really see the point....:unsure:

wjemather

Visit site
I'd love to but sadly my course isn't rated for 9 so I can't. If that changes then absolutely, I would.

Let the system do its job, don't worry about degrees of difficulty.
Are the 9s not rated or just not available for score entry on WHS? All 18 hole courses should have had their front and back 9s rated separately as part of the standard rating procedure.

Ratings can be checked here: https://www.randa.org/worldhandicapsystem/Lookup