9 hole cards for handicap

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are the 9s not rated or just not available for score entry on WHS? All 18 hole courses should have had their front and back 9s rated separately as part of the standard rating procedure.

Ratings can be checked here: https://www.randa.org/worldhandicapsystem/Lookup
That is interesting, thank you. The course is showing as rated for each 9. When I asked the manager earlier in the year he stated that wasn't the case.

I now need to find out if the club will accept 9 hole scores as I would love that. I'll contact them tomorrow.

wjemather

Visit site
That is interesting, thank you. The course is showing as rated for each 9. When I asked the manager earlier in the year he stated that wasn't the case.

I now need to find out if the club will accept 9 hole scores as I would love that. I'll contact them tomorrow.
Your club will simply need to request England Golf setup all courses and tee markers on the WHS Platform - there is a standard procedure they need to follow - and then setup their ISV (e.g. ClubV1/Howdidido, IG, etc.)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nope, just most courses listed on EG have a slope rating that will allow a nine hole scoring.
Personally I don't go to nine hole courses - if I'm visiting 18 holes + or I wouldn't bother. I only do nine if I go to my club and times short.

Having a course measured and slope rated does not mean you can use 9 holes for handicap purposes* . The club has to have asked EG or other for the 9 hole to be added to 'database' for such.

*All 18 holes courses will have been measured and rated for both 9s if they were done originally for the WHS.

Edited - I see many others have advised this.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It looks like the front 9 is available for score entry on WHS but nobody is just going to play to the far end of the course and walk back in....

It means they can submit a card for handicap purposes on the first 9, it does not mean they have to walk in after finishing the 9 they can still continue to play on as a social round.

Swango1980

Visit site
It means they can submit a card for handicap purposes on the first 9, it does not mean they have to walk in after finishing the 9 they can still continue to play on as a social round.
More of a practical question, rather than me believing it is a reasonable option to take.

Some courses will have both 9 holes and the 18 holes available for players to pre-register and submit scores. Could a player, using MyEG or other, pre-register for both 9's AND the 18 holes, and effectively submit 3 scores for handicap from 1 round?

Alternatively, and to avoid the 18 holes submission effectively being the same round as the combination of both 9's, could a player play 18 holes, but pre-register for each 9 rather than 1 18? Would this allow them to double up on their scores they submit for handicap? So, a good round could count twice (assuming both 9's were played well), or a bad round could knock out 2 scores rather than one from your last 20 (thus more quickly removing historic good scores).

I've not looked into this, but from a practical and mathematical point of view, would be interested to know if players could do this, and how the impact on their handicap could differ compared to simply submitting an 18 hole score like most.

D

Deleted member 3432

That is rather pointless.

Even more pointless when the front 9 plays into the wind and the back 9 is where you make your score.......

Then again an opportunity to get some shots back ??

D

Deleted member 16999

Can anyone advise on this one, prior to WHS we played the following holes 1-3 12-16 & 18 as a 9 hole option on our Course.

The link above shows both our front 9 and back 9 as rated.

If we wanted the holes above to be officially recognised as a 9 hole Course for handicaps under WHS would we have to have the holes remeasured or is it a simple job using existing information.

Any constructive advice welcome.

wjemather

Visit site
Can anyone advise on this one, prior to WHS we played the following holes 1-3 12-16 & 18 as a 9 hole option on our Course.

The link above shows both our front 9 and back 9 as rated.

If we wanted the holes above to be officially recognised as a 9 hole Course for handicaps under WHS would we have to have the holes remeasured or is it a simple job using existing information.

Any constructive advice welcome.
You can have any selection of 9 holes officially rated as a 9-hole course. You just need to put in a request to your county rating team to start the process.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That is rather pointless.

Even more pointless when the front 9 plays into the wind and the back 9 is where you make your score.......

Then again an opportunity to get some shots back ??

The OP was about not having time for the full 18 holes and still wanting to put in cards for handicap.

D

Deleted member 3432

This should be accounted for in the respective ratings of each 9.

Of course it should but a paper exercise is different to actual reality and that's the weakness of the rating system.

wjemather

Visit site
More of a practical question, rather than me believing it is a reasonable option to take.

Some courses will have both 9 holes and the 18 holes available for players to pre-register and submit scores. Could a player, using MyEG or other, pre-register for both 9's AND the 18 holes, and effectively submit 3 scores for handicap from 1 round?

Alternatively, and to avoid the 18 holes submission effectively being the same round as the combination of both 9's, could a player play 18 holes, but pre-register for each 9 rather than 1 18? Would this allow them to double up on their scores they submit for handicap? So, a good round could count twice (assuming both 9's were played well), or a bad round could knock out 2 scores rather than one from your last 20 (thus more quickly removing historic good scores).

I've not looked into this, but from a practical and mathematical point of view, would be interested to know if players could do this, and how the impact on their handicap could differ compared to simply submitting an 18 hole score like most.
While the technology is unlikely to prevent it... no, you can not submit the same same more than once.

wjemather

Visit site
Of course it should but a paper exercise is different to actual reality and that's the weakness of the rating system.
Raters would need to have been made aware of the prevailing weather conditions in order to account for them.

The perceptions of golfers, with regards to how much easier/harder one 9 is than the other, often do not correlate with actual scoring patterns.

D

Deleted member 3432

Raters would need to have been made aware of the prevailing weather conditions in order to account for them.

The perceptions of golfers, with regards to how much easier/harder one 9 is than the other, often do not correlate with actual scoring patterns.

Out of interest what would would the average playing experience and ability of the course rating teams be?

Swango1980

Visit site
While the technology is unlikely to prevent it... no, you can not submit the same same more than once.
Cheers. I'm assuming that answer is related to submitting the 18-hole round simultaneous to the 2 9 hole rounds.

If a player went out and simply handed in Acceptable rounds for the front 9 and the back 9 (rather than one full 18-hole round), would there be implications to this? In other words, could they double up the number of scores they submit?

wjemather

Visit site
Cheers. I'm assuming that answer is related to submitting the 18-hole round simultaneous to the 2 9 hole rounds.

If a player went out and simply handed in Acceptable rounds for the front 9 and the back 9 (rather than one full 18-hole round), would there be implications to this? In other words, could they double up the number of scores they submit?
It's hard to see how submitting two 9-hole scores (front 9 and back 9) instead of an 18-hole score could not be seen as manipulation. It should clearly be an 18-hole score rather than 2 9-hole scores, and submitted as such.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I've been playing Wednesday night's after work for the past month or so and have been putting those 9 hole scores in. Been enjoying it and last night's round got me a .3 cut ?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Out of interest what would would the average playing experience and ability of the course rating teams be?
Their experience and ability are pretty irrelevant. The ratings are based on many elements of objective data related to 'model' scratch and bogey players. (eg proximity of obstacles (bunkers say) to landing areas. Depth of bunkers. Level or sloping stance. Fairway/rough cut length. Green speed. Green contours. Green size ..........). You name it, it is measured.
However, in practice they will be pretty experienced with a range of handicaps and will have been trained.