7 iron how far do you hit it?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am looking at new clubs - the pro is trying to get me to buy a particular set because I hit them the furthest of the 3 I was looking looking at - the lofts in order of distance - 30 32 34. Current 7 iron loft 34 degrees.

D

Deleted member 21445

Not as relavent a question as it once was as lofts are all so different these days.

162 carry

BridgfordBlue

Visit site
Was 170 and then up/down ten yards through the clubs. Had a lesson a couple of weeks ago though and the pro had me working on getting my left hip out of the way more and hands in front of the ball more at impact. When I get it right, it’s added about 20 yards. The problem is I’m not getting it right that often yet so I’m a bit all over the place with my distances!

Doing it more for consistency rather than distance though so hopefully it’ll come with more practice.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am looking at new clubs - the pro is trying to get me to buy a particular set because I hit them the furthest of the 3 I was looking looking at - the lofts in order of distance - 30 32 34. Current 7 iron loft 34 degrees.

Hitting the furthest doesn’t necessarily mean it’s going to be the right club. Of course distance does matter and is a major factor, but other things need to be looked at. Factor in dispersion, launch and descent angle, spin and strike etc

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hitting the furthest doesn’t necessarily mean it’s going to be the right club. Of course distance does matter and is a major factor, but other things need to be looked at. Factor in dispersion, launch and descent angle, spin and strike etc

It was full fitting session.
Not a lot to choose really once we had settled on the right shaft.
Probably going to have another go with the choice of two heads before making a decision.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I've got 7-irons ranging in loft from 29° (newest) to 40° (oldest).
The term "7-iron" means nothing to me anymore.
One has to remember one's length with each specific club in modern golf, regaardless of the number stamping on the sole.

1645369411015.png

Although my old 9-wood and new 7-iron have the same advertised loft, the 9-wood is about a half-club or so longer.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 3432

I like to think I'm a good judge of getting it pin high more often than not.

Albo

Visit site
Following a recent lesson and swing change i've moved from 150 to 160, however hit 169 at the range this weekend. Happy if im 160 from the flag to be hitting 7i.
Edit to say those are carry distances
And its 29° loft
I don't know or care if this is considered long or not, just if its something I can repeat time and again

Last edited: