Money List Winner
Visit site
588 RTX Satin Chrome Wedge
downloader2.php

When faced with a new wedge there are many things to consider:

Cavity or blade
Forged or Cast
Cheap or Expensive
... the list goes on and on (I even wrote it out in an initial version but it ended up VERY long)

I was pretty much always going to buy a bladed cast wedge with 52* with low bounce and the 56* with high bounce, the best fit for my game and no different to my old setup (bar the change from forged to cast), that was something not up for change.

The deciding factor would always be the performance of a wedge on 3/4 swings and chips that decided if I like them or not. I don't hit a lot of full wedge shots so I want something that feels great whatever the swing.

Before I start I know Cleveland are starting to take over my bag, slowly but surely. That mainly due to the cracking clubs they are churning out at the moment and the fantastic value for money they offer (25% off when trading in your old wedges for new wedges until June 2013).

So why did I chose these wedges

Firstly I want bladed wedges, I am not interested in forgiveness as I don't have any difficulty finding the middle on 3/4 shots and below.

Then forged or cast... Pretty simple, the Rotex face only comes in the cast models so why bother with the forged? I wouldn't be able to tell the difference and the cast model simply looks better. I wanted the newest and best so I barely gave the forged version a thought. Also my last wedged were forged, I wanted to try something new and different.

How do they play?

First impressions were well above expectations (which were already high). The first 5 shots for the 52* landed within about 6 feet of the pin from 60 yards. Each felt like butter and sat down beautifully. I then began to play around, hitting them high, low, soft and strong. Each shot just spin and stopped with little effort.

Chipping was also very consistent, I can throw the ball a little further and have it stop quicker than before. Out on the course I am noticeably getting more easy par chances since changing. Even tricky chips have become easier, I now no longer fear shots with little green to work with. Around the practice green I put shot after shot next to the pin, my confidence grows with every visit to practice.

Lastly out of bunkers these clubs are insane, getting the ball in the air is VERY easy, having it stop is simple. By far the best bunker clubs I have hit.

Longer shots

They are actually are forgiving (even though I said I didn't need it, I still noticed it), my wedge dispersion has come down from what I got with my old wedges. This becomes even more evident when you go from 3/4 to full shots, the ball just loves to spin back towards you and there is little side spin on good hits.

To wrap it up

So in summary these are simply another quality, value for money, high performance product from Cleveland. The head shape, shot shape, spin and feel all inspire confidence. This company impresses me more and more each time I add one of their clubs to the bag. If you want new wedges (or any clubs actually) don't forget to try out Cleveland gear!

Strangely before I started giving them a go I would never have considered them, now I don't see it being long before I try out their hybrids and irons too!

Last edited: