4 iron, 6 iron - same carry!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Thinking about the post re. the mystery of irons I carried out an experiment at the range today, hitting 4 & 6 iron at the same target. There was virtually no difference in the amount of carry I got. It's clear that, with my 90mph maximum swing speed with the driver, I cannot generate enough speed with the 4 iron to keep the ball in the air long enough. The 4 iron goes farther but only because the lower trajectory gives me more run on my remarkably dry course.

What's the answer? I don't get on with hybrids. I think I'll have more loft put on the 4, 5 & 6 irons going from +2° to +½° & see how that works.

Anyone else experienced this?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hybrids and lessons on the hybrids, you probably don’t get on with them due.

I was in the same place as you with irons and hybrids but a few lessons soon sorted me out, getting much better compression now and for the first time ever hybrids are a viable option for me.

I was coming from the inside 7*+ and timing a flip, this worked with irons but never with a hybrid.

Now finally I can actually use my hybrid for things other than punch or green side chips.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Efficiency as you touched on yourself really. I’m a generally good ball striker and avoided hybrids in favour of long irons.

I’ve forced a hybrid into my bag and don’t think I’ll ever look back now, it’s a great tool to have in the arsenal and in your case will help with the additional distance.

If you hit your irons well you’ll hit a hybrid well, just need to build up confidence and filter it into the bag.

I always avoided them as I was a hook machine with them and hit them to the moon. Right hybrid, shaft and swing fix and now it’s my go to fairway finder with pretty much optimal trajectory.

Honestly worth giving a try especially over the winter months when you can afford to tinker.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I too have an iron swing speed just under 90 mph, I hit my 6 iron about 150 yards, didn’t get on with a 5 iron so swapped in an 11 wood which goes around 165/170

So the answer seems to be a combo of loft up and a longer shaft than your iron will get the ball further ?

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I had the same issue as you. Dropped the 4 iron in favour of a hybrid, but didn’t get on with it. Swapped it for a 7-wood(21*), but with a 5-wood shaft, so a bit more head speed. Now one of my favourite clubs in the bag

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
You could try a utility iron, something that looks like a 4 iron but has a cavity or other engineering to get it into the air. The 7 wood option is not a bad one either.

Otherwise, just leave the 4 iron out.

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I too have an iron swing speed just under 90 mph, I hit my 6 iron about 150 yards, didn’t get on with a 5 iron so swapped in an 11 wood which goes around 165/170

So the answer seems to be a combo of loft up and a longer shaft than your iron will get the ball further ?

90mph with a 7 iron is shifting it.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just got back from a knock and was discussing a similar problem with my PP, but the other way around. 6 iron can go 190 to 200, but my 7i is 170 max, 160-165 on average. Our 15th is too long for a 7, but my 6 would put me in trouble over the back, so I just accept that I’ll be short and hit the 7. Seems to be a common issue with 6 irons!