4 iron, 6 iron - same carry!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I even took my 6 & 5 irons out of the bag since I couldn't hit them any better/further than 7 iron - a 4 iron is a distant memory from the past. You say you can't hit hybrids but not all hybrids are equal. You could look at more of a utility club like the TaylorMade GAPRs or the new version, the SIM DHY. Also the Mizuno Fli-Hi which you can get steel-shafted. Or a utility/driving iron type of thing.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I struggled with consistency in the longer irons and so my 4 iron and 6 iron would have gone similarly. I know the OP doesn't like hybrids but switching to a 4 and 5 hybrid has made a real difference. If I was the OP I'd speak to a pro, get the clubs and specs checked (maybe a lesson) and work on it over the winter

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
So, I've gone & done it. Lofts are now:
4 Iron - 20½º
5 - 23
6 - 26
7 - 30
8 - 34
9 - 38
PW - 43
GW - 48

The lofts on 9 to Gap wedge are unchanged, with the others between 1 & 2 degrees weaker. It gives a better progression, with smaller gaps than there were before. I tried the 4 & 5 irons at the range yesterday & they did seem easier to hit. Taking them out on the course today to see how they go.

One small problem was that I wanted the 4 iron 2º weaker. It would only go 1½º, the fitter said, being cast, not forged, that he thought it would snap if he tried to move it any farther. Still, it has definitely made a difference. We'll see!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
4 Iron - 20½º
5 - 23
6 - 26
7 - 30
8 - 34
9 - 38
PW - 43
GW - 48

The lofts on 9 to Gap wedge are unchanged, with the others between 1 & 2 degrees weaker. It gives a better progression, with smaller gaps than there were before. I tried the 4 & 5 irons at the range yesterday & they did seem easier to hit. Taking them out on the course today to see how they go.

One small problem was that I wanted the 4 iron 2º weaker. It would only go 1½º, the fitter said, being cast, not forged, that he thought it would snap if he tried to move it any farther. Still, it has definitely made a difference. We'll see!

Got to love the re-numbering of irons, you've now got a set of 2 to 9 irons similar to 1970 specs. :)
1603872040499.png

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Got to love the re-numbering of irons, you've now got a set of 2 to 9 irons similar to 1970 specs. :)
View attachment 33154
Don't suppose the figures are available, but I'm willing to bet that, club for club, the modern ones go as high as the older clubs. My clubs launch so high I wouldn't want them with traditional lofts, especially on the windy course where I play.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
4 Iron - 20½º
5 - 23
6 - 26
7 - 30
8 - 34
9 - 38
PW - 43
GW - 48

So you’ll be hitting 4 iron on the 5th hole now ?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Don't suppose the figures are available, but I'm willing to bet that, club for club, the modern ones go as high as the older clubs. My clubs launch so high I wouldn't want them with traditional lofts, especially on the windy course where I play.

Figures aren't available but I'd guess that loft for loft the weighting of modern clubs give a higher launch on mishits, low on the face in particular, and for slower clubhead speeds.
Older clubs do get the ball high but they need a fast clubhead speed to do this effectively, and the performance drop off away from the sweet spot is greater.