4 iron, 6 iron - same carry!

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You mention that you don't like hybrids and 7/9/11 fairways are out, so you could try utility irons? Otherwise accept you don't have the power, speed, ditch 4/5 iron or get yourself down the gym and Bryson yourself up. Or try a lighter flex/graphite shaft in the 4/5

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A little piece of me dies each time I see a playing partner pull a hybrid club out.

You would not like what I replaced my 5 iron with then 29 degree rescue.

Sadly my swing speed these days mean that long irons are very much things of the past.

Would not want to go back though.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t carry a 4 iron, a hybrid is in its place. But I would say look at your delivery, as others have said a lesson might be the cheapest option and yield the best results.
I went to recoil 65 g regular shafts in my irons and down the bottom of the bag, it makes a world of difference. So that’s the next one after your lesson, get the club weight down a re shaft won’t be to expensive on 1-2 clubs

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Thinking about the post re. the mystery of irons I carried out an experiment at the range today, hitting 4 & 6 iron at the same target. There was virtually no difference in the amount of carry I got. It's clear that, with my 90mph maximum swing speed with the driver, I cannot generate enough speed with the 4 iron to keep the ball in the air long enough. The 4 iron goes farther but only because the lower trajectory gives me more run on my remarkably dry course.

What's the answer? I don't get on with hybrids. I think I'll have more loft put on the 4, 5 & 6 irons going from +2° to +½° & see how that works.

Anyone else experienced this?

Yes, I'm exactly in your position including the driver swing speed.
Will be interested in what happens with the loft changes

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Just got back from a knock and was discussing a similar problem with my PP, but the other way around. 6 iron can go 190 to 200, but my 7i is 170 max, 160-165 on average. Our 15th is too long for a 7, but my 6 would put me in trouble over the back, so I just accept that I’ll be short and hit the 7. Seems to be a common issue with 6 irons!

Cor! I wish. Nice problem to have. Just go down the shaft a bit with the 6 iron for 180

D

Deleted member 1147

Just got back from a knock and was discussing a similar problem with my PP, but the other way around. 6 iron can go 190 to 200, but my 7i is 170 max, 160-165 on average. Our 15th is too long for a 7, but my 6 would put me in trouble over the back, so I just accept that I’ll be short and hit the 7. Seems to be a common issue with 6 irons!
Get your lofts checked

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cor! I wish. Nice problem to have. Just go down the shaft a bit with the 6 iron for 180

Is that a thing then, gripping down to reduce distance?

I should’ve said, they’re taylormade M2 irons so strong lofts, probably more like a 5i? And that’s total distance.

Get your lofts checked

I was the same with my last set of irons, ping g15 I think. 6i seems to explode. Did think about having the loft adjusted but it’s the longest iron in my bag at the minute and so I use it when I need to hit the ball as far as possible off the deck!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Back in the 1970s that was a strong 2 iron, I'd only use your 4 iron as a tee club.

There's a world of difference between a 1970's 2 iron and a Wilson D7 4 iron. Modern irons are so easy to get airborne that if the lofts weren't reduced you hit them far too high. When I really catch the 4 iron it goes well, I just feel I need it to stay in the air a bit longer to carry farther than the 5 & 6.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had a similar issue, 4iron was going about the same as my 6, which was close to the 7!! It wasnt so much the clubs as i wasnt swinging anywhere near as fast with the 4i as with the 6i, just kept them in the bag and made sure i hit them confidently,

Even with slower swing speeds you should expect more distance from your 4i in carry, if you like the club I would stick with it, try to get on a launch monitor if you can see where you are losing efficiency with the club and get more out of what you have.

D

Deleted member 21258

I carry a 4 iron for 2 main reasons :-

Hit out of trees
Hit low (more runny shots on a windy firmer course)

I can not consistently hit a 4 iron off the tee or fairway, to bother hitting it, nothing to do with swing speed as such for me.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
There's a world of difference between a 1970's 2 iron and a Wilson D7 4 iron. Modern irons are so easy to get airborne that if the lofts weren't reduced you hit them far too high. When I really catch the 4 iron it goes well, I just feel I need it to stay in the air a bit longer to carry farther than the 5 & 6.

Check this out, the stats start just after 8 minutes.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I have a similar-ish problem.

I think - unconfirmed with no launch monitor use - my big bag gap is between my 5I and my 4 wood (set to be a 3) and want something to plug this gap because when I find myself 190 out, I know im not making the green. Would most people here recommend a 4H to try and address that? No hybrid in the bag at present but one of my regular PP's - of very similar ability and yardages all round - uses his 22 degree H regularly and its got me thinking.

Edit - please dont suggest the wood. I can hit it 200+ but its poo from our rough, fairway only club for me.