2022 Professional golf thread

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Away from Rory "if only" McIlroy, the Travelers should be on for a close finish tonight and the LPGA event is getting interesting.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not bad for a washed up mentally fragile player?
Its good indeed. But always the sense with him that there is so much more.
Whats he got to lose by switching caddy? Nothing. He may as well take a shot in the hope it triggers something better. Most unlikely to drop him backward in the rankings.
With Rorys record, only one thing matters. Majors. The prime of his career has been barren. Its an underachievement.

D

Deleted member 1147

Its good indeed. But always the sense with him that there is so much more.
Whats he got to lose by switching caddy? Nothing. He may as well take a shot in the hope it triggers something better. Most unlikely to drop him backward in the rankings.
With Rorys record, only one thing matters. Majors. The prime of his career has been barren. Its an underachievement.
Most golfers “underachieve”. It’s the nature of the game. It’s not like tennis with it’s seeding, or snooker.
On day 1 each player is pitted against 150 or so other players, of which half have a good chance of winning.
Only really Tiger in recent times hasn’t underachieved.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most golfers “underachieve”. It’s the nature of the game. It’s not like tennis with it’s seeding, or snooker.
On day 1 each player is pitted against 150 or so other players, of which half have a good chance of winning.
Only really Tiger in recent times hasn’t underachieved.

James when people keep going on that Rory on his day is the best player in the world they might be right.
However with his natural talent he has seriously underachieved.
No major in 8 years is ridiculous for a guy with his talent,so why is this?.
In my opinion he’s mentally not strong enough.
Sometimes when the going gets tough he capitulated,his demeanour changes and we can all see it.
Going from bounding up the fairways to slumping over his clubs.
There’s no doubting his ability so it must be something else.
Funny how someone was saying Brooks was waining but funnily enough Rory isn’t.

D

Deleted member 1147

James when people keep going on that Rory on his day is the best player in the world they might be right.
However with his natural talent he has seriously underachieved.
No major in 8 years is ridiculous for a guy with his talent,so why is this?.
In my opinion he’s mentally not strong enough.
Sometimes when the going gets tough he capitulated,his demeanour changes and we can all see it.
Going from bounding up the fairways to slumping over his clubs.
There’s no doubting his ability so it must be something else.
Funny how someone was saying Brooks was waining but funnily enough Rory isn’t.
I agree with most of what you say Tony.
But as I say, the game is stuffed with failures.
DJ only has 2 majors, Scott & Day only had 1, Brooks has hardly won any non-majors, Mickleson never got to no1, Westwood and so many others have no majors.

But Rory seems to be the only one who is dissected, critiqued and told to change this that it the other.

It’s harder to find over achievers; Harrington, Kaymer maybe

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
DJ only has 2 majors, Scott & Day only had 1, Brooks has hardly won any non-majors, Mickleson never got to no1, Westwood and so many others have no majors.

But Rory seems to be the only one who is dissected, critiqued and told to change this that it the other.

that or the definition of failures is wrong :)

Swango1980

Visit site

But, the reason McIlroy is dissected so much is because it is generally considered he is so much better than his results suggest. I guess most would put him ahead of the likes of DJ, Brooks, etc.

However, he seems to be the one player who is guilty of having mad moments. Making bad decisions and having mental failures, and effectively ending his chances of winning in an instant. He also doesn't seem to have as much discussion with his caddy before each shot, and I think McIlroy generally chooses the type of shot he will play. Whereas most other players look to their caddy to tell them what should be done.

It is all hypothetical, we'll never know. Can't see him ditching his best mate.

D

Deleted member 1147

But, the reason McIlroy is dissected so much is because it is generally considered he is so much better than his results suggest. I guess most would put him ahead of the likes of DJ, Brooks, etc.

However, he seems to be the one player who is guilty of having mad moments. Making bad decisions and having mental failures, and effectively ending his chances of winning in an instant. He also doesn't seem to have as much discussion with his caddy before each shot, and I think McIlroy generally chooses the type of shot he will play. Whereas most other players look to their caddy to tell them what should be done.

It is all hypothetical, we'll never know. Can't see him ditching his best mate.
When he won in Canada he had another mate on the bag, as Harry was at home.
Rory, like Tiger, makes his own decisions. But that’s not to say there isn’t discussion.
I’d rather see that than the Bones/Mickleson combo talking forever before a shot.

sunshine

Visit site
Rory implodes, it must be the caddy’s fault ?‍♂️

I think many of you are over estimating the impact that a caddy has on the top players.

D

Deleted member 1147

Rory implodes, it must be the caddy’s fault ?‍♂️

I think many of you are over estimating the impact that a caddy has on the top players.
He needs a legend of caddying like Billy Foster, whose players have won him a whole major.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Ive only watched professional tour golf for the past 3 years or so, so I've not got the informed opinion of others here but from my perspective I think the reason Rory gets talked about more than others with regards to "under achieving" is two fold.

A - his natural talent - when he's on song he's head and shoulders above others so it never seems like he's lived up to his huge potential.

B - he literally shows glimpses of this talent most tournaments. Whereas others will have a bad few tournaments and just fade into obscurity with a bad run of form, going under the radar. Rory seems to have the habit of absolutely lighting it up for one round a tournament and making you remember he's there.

JamieB

Visit site
European Tour just had a good finish... Was Li great or "lucky?"

Can't decide :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
The play off was definitely lucky. Could have hit 2 trees with his drive, in the water twice with his approach and the chip …..
Maybe the play off question could be, Was Li showing off or lucky??
Entertaining all the same

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Lexi Thompson’s putting gives me the heebie-jeebies.

It was pretty hard to watch even after getting the birdie to go two clear. That and her chip on the par 5 just seemed so shakey.

Tough course, and drama to the finish but i don't think today was a great showcase of the quality the ladies often bring or the speed of play which is still an issue. Shame really but worthy winner given that opening round.