2021 Professional Golf Thread

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's the way throughout sports these days.

In this country both codes of rugby have adopted systems whereby the champions are not necessarily the team that topped the regular season.

And football has the play-offs to determine promotion spots.

It can be said that none of these are fair but they are exciting.

Would the drama last night have been as great if it was already known who was Tour Champion?
I'd also add, in years to come no one will really care who has won this tournament for any other reason than the cheque at the end of it. Majors are still the barometer with the Players Champion closely behind. The Fedex winner never gets a menttion, except in the last 2-3 weeks of the US season. People will look back and decide for themselve who was the best player this year, this tournament doesn't decide that anywhere outside of the USPGA maketing team.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I'll tell you who wasnt excited, Patrick Cantlay, just won 15M from two weeks work and barely managed a fist pump....!

Thats on top of the $7,638,805 for the season. At this point its just numbers on a computer screen.

Interviews kept trying to make a big thing of the money. But the players weren't interested. They are interested in winning.

Like Cam Smith said when asked what he'd do with the $15M. He already has more money than he knows what to do with, so would probably celebrate with some new fishing equipment.

peld

Visit site
Felt gutted for Rahm. Definitely the best player over the season, plus the fact he was robbed of a win which meant he would have started better in this and probably won.

D

Deleted member 15344

Main coverage has been on for 30 mins and we have had 2 adverts and seen 4 shots ?‍♂️

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Thats on top of the $7,638,805 for the season. At this point its just numbers on a computer screen.

Interviews kept trying to make a big thing of the money. But the players weren't interested. They are interested in winning.

Like Cam Smith said when asked what he'd do with the $15M. He already has more money than he knows what to do with, so would probably celebrate with some new fishing equipment.

Hovland said the same, looks a very sensible lad. I love the game, but the money IMO is ridiculous. Why don't they play competitions where all winnings are donated to a charity of the players choice?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Hovland said the same, looks a very sensible lad. I love the game, but the money IMO is ridiculous. Why don't they play competitions where all winnings are donated to a charity of the players choice?
If the pros were that bothered, they could donate the money themselves.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Maybe just me but I used to notice when I saw someone had shot sub 65 and double take when I read about a sub 63 on the tours ... Now it seems like its a weekly occurrence to see someone shoot 8, 9 or even 10 under par (especially on a Thursday)

Wonder why::unsure:
  1. Better players
  2. Better equipment
  3. Easier courses
  4. Easy set-up
  5. They've always done it

sunshine

Visit site
Maybe just me but I used to notice when I saw someone had shot sub 65 and double take when I read about a sub 63 on the tours ... Now it seems like its a weekly occurrence to see someone shoot 8, 9 or even 10 under par (especially on a Thursday)

1. Better players
  2. Better equipment
  3. Easier courses
  4. Easy set-up

Generally, they have been playing the same courses on the PGA Tour for decades, but now they are longer and tighter and set up more tricky. That rules out 3 and 4.

I think the players are better: more athletic, better coaching, better analysis so they understand their swing better and how to score. Plus obviously the advances in equipment and the way it is fitted.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site

1. Better players
  2. Better equipment
  3. Easier courses
  4. Easy set-up

lesser prestige tournaments especially on the PGA seem to be set up easier.... they seem to think birdies = viewing figures