2021 Professional Golf Thread

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Looks more and more like a straight shoot out between Rahm and Cantlay this, no one else seems to be able to get in striking distance

If Cantlay can win 2 weeks running then the hat will be doffed, Rahm surely takes all the beating the way hes playing

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Joaquin Niemann was last out, on his own and decided to have some fun. 1hr 53mins to do his 18. He ran a few fairways, he wanted to beat Kevin Na's previous speed record. Nice to see a bit of character.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
'Upon completing his round, PGA Tour officials called Niemann and his caddy over for a word in the scorer’s tent. It sure sounded ominous.
“Listen, as a professional, you have disrespected the game,” they said. “You have disrespected the Tour Championship. This is not how professionals act. … Here’s a fine for $10,000.” '

Before they told them that was a wind up!

+2, not too shabby.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
'Upon completing his round, PGA Tour officials called Niemann and his caddy over for a word in the scorer’s tent. It sure sounded ominous.
“Listen, as a professional, you have disrespected the game,” they said. “You have disrespected the Tour Championship. This is not how professionals act. … Here’s a fine for $10,000.” '

Before they told them that was a wind up!

+2, not too shabby.

its no wesley bryan though, shot 69 in about 20 mins less a few years back :)

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
If I heard correctly, the PGA Tour Championship host broadcaster just said they are showing the last 9 holes uninterrupted by commercials.
Over to you Sky .... ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Was going to try and express my thoughts but Ben puts it so succintly :)

Ben Coley
@BenColeyGolf
·
1h
If the scores were to remain as they are, Rahm would’ve outperformed Cantlay in 14 of their 18 combined starts dating backed to Winged Foot, and two of three Playoff events. Cantlay’s four include Muirfield Village, where he was well behind Rahm only for latter to WD with Covid.
Ben Coley
@BenColeyGolf
·
1h
And Cantlay would win the FedEx Cup. Now, I don’t need telling that ‘this is how playoffs work!’ because, well, it isn’t really. But also because that’s kind of my point: applying systems which ‘work’ in other sports doesn’t guarantee they’ll work in this one.
Ben Coley
@BenColeyGolf
·
1h
And this system is ***. Truly, I hope Cantlay beats Rahm by two or three shots to help underline that point.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Brilliant from Rahm and Cantlay

How Rahm isnt the tour champ this season I really dont understand (and hopefully theyll rethink this abortion of a finale again now) but hats off to Cantlay how hes played and closed out the last 2 weeks!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Brilliant from Rahm and Cantlay

How Rahm isnt the tour champ this season I really dont understand (and hopefully theyll rethink this abortion of a finale again now) but hats off to Cantlay how hes played and closed out the last 2 weeks!
Very high quality from both. The nerve of Cantlay in particular has to be admired. Rahm tracked him for 2 rounds and he stood firm.

If you want to create an exciting last tournament that is easy to follow then it hard to beat the current system. You can have a fairer system but the last tournament then becomes just another tournament where the tour champ can be known before teeing off. This system creates a clear and exciting finish to the year.

D

Deleted member 18588

Very high quality from both. The nerve of Cantlay in particular has to be admired. Rahm tracked him for 2 rounds and he stood firm.

If you want to create an exciting last tournament that is easy to follow then it hard to beat the current system. You can have a fairer system but the last tournament then becomes just another tournament where the tour champ can be known before teeing off. This system creates a clear and exciting finish to the year.
It's the way throughout sports these days.

In this country both codes of rugby have adopted systems whereby the champions are not necessarily the team that topped the regular season.

And football has the play-offs to determine promotion spots.

It can be said that none of these are fair but they are exciting.

Would the drama last night have been as great if it was already known who was Tour Champion?