2021 Professional Golf Thread

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Watched the start of the Women's Olympic final round, really good watch - Lydia Ko four birdies in a row from the second after missing a two foot birdie putt at the first, sadly coverage finished after six holes 'We'll be back at the golf later' - got up this morning just in time to see the play off for silver and bronze.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
What's De Chambeau doing hitting a provisional ( according to Ewan Murray) when his ball is known to be in play.i.e not lost nor OOB.
This was just before 9pm hole 6
Comments?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Just started watching, did they explain what it was?

No explanation as such, but what happened was
DeC hit tee shot to the right badly. Ball seemed to be near or over a fence in trees.
An official was at the place radioing to someone what he had found (presumably) . This was an official, referee ,whatever- not merely a spotter.
This is known because the same man later gave a decision for English when his ball moved.He was the 'referee' called over to adjudicate.
Ewan Murray intimated that the situation re DeCs ball was being relayed back to the tee.
DeC played another from the tee which Murray suggested was a provisional.

That was when I started to wonder what exactly was going on.

THE TV then showed DeC arrive at his ball and speak to the referee referred to, and the ball was lodged against a fence next to a path. The path was between the fence and the fairway, I.e, part of the Course.
The referee asked DeC how he would have played the ball if he had to.
DeC indicated he would stand on the path, lean over the fence( wire chicken wire type fence) and hit the ball by hitting the fence first into it!.
The referee decided that DeC got free relief , apparently because of the path.
That's what happened.
My take is that the referee knew the balls position, it was his job to decide if in play or OOB. Clearly decided the former, so how come DeC played another ball , presumed to be a provisional.?
Murray was telling us that the referee was conveying back to the tee what he had found ( re the balls position) when he was seen to be radioing.
All quite interesting and very De Chambeaueske?

Visit site
I see that Russel Knox made a 63 (-7) after his disaster 74 yesterday at the Wyndham
Should see him make the cut and stay in the top 125
Martin Laird may miss out but he is safely in the top 70 and has exemption anyway

Great stuff