2021 Professional Golf Thread

D

Deleted member 15344

That statement is very strong, too much so,surely? To say they "ruined" the viewing?

Yes it ruined my viewing to the point I didn’t really see much of the whole competition and I normally watch every minute of a major

I enjoyed the whole evening and so did so many, I think.
The crowd overdid it and needed to be more disciplined, for sure.
But, a thing worth noting, I think.
Something OK , and welcome, in seeing a crowd, albeit unruly, ,motivated and driven by joy and admiration, than those of late on the streets throughout the world driven by hatred and destruction.

Do you mean they were absolutely smashed on booze acting like a bunch of football hooligans - I would prefer to see no crowds than that

Joy and Admiration doesnt make people shout of the most ridiculous things known to man.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great to see big Phil get the job done, and amazing scenes at the end, Phil enjoyed it which is all that counts.

If Phil was the only one playing I'd take your point. Not sure Brooks and his caddy enjoyed being jostled and mobbed whilst he still had a pretty crucial shot to play. I'm all for spectators at golf, but I'm sorry there should be no excusing that behaviour on the 18th fairway. Walk behind the players, yes, but to surge and stampede like they did was both stupid and dangerous not only to the players but to other people. There were kids amongst that crowd for gods sake, how much would it have taken for one to get knocked over and trampled? We can but be thankful that, on this occasion, it didn't happen.

As I say, all for crowds and spectators, but also all for being respectful and behaved.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Yes it ruined my viewing to the point I didn’t really see much of the whole competition and I normally watch every minute of a major

Do you mean they were absolutely smashed on booze acting like a bunch of football hooligans - I would prefer to see no crowds than that

Joy and Admiration doesnt make people shout of the most ridiculous things known to man.

First sentence......words like... cutting ....nose ...spite?

You denied yourself a good major?

D

Deleted member 15344

First sentence......words like... cutting ....nose ...spite?

You denied yourself a good major?

Not at all - I’m sure I can survive missing the Major that I’m not that really bothered about. I’m not a big fan of Mickleson as well so switching off wasn’t really a hardship

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Well the tournament was won by a bomber so maybe it was a bombers’ paradise after all ;)
Ha yes, in his head ? He definitely hit some with that 5.5 / 48 contraption, but for me it was more what he did with the 2 & 4 woods. Possibly the most controlled, even sensible, tournament of his career....

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ha yes, in his head ? He definitely hit some with that 5.5 / 48 contraption, but for me it was more what he did with the 2 & 4 woods. Possibly the most controlled, even sensible, tournament of his career....
I think he knew his short game would win him it!
Everyone was missing greens even from the fairway.
He did very well imo to keep on the short stuff and had a bit of luck when needed.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
An apology (of sorts) from Van Rooyen, probably could have done with a mention of Gareth Lord

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-26 at 16.54.35.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-26 at 16.54.35.png
    470.5 KB · Views: 40

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seems a perfectly adequate apology if you ask me.
I suspect he’s personally done the people he was playing with or he will do.
Plenty of others have done the same.
Move on the next one won’t be far away.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The Race to Dubai points system bugs me. It doesn’t seem to offer much in the way of activity at the top end as soon as someone picks up a high points win somewhere, too often in the US, yet its shoved on screen multiple times every day of an ET event so we can see who’s projected to move from 28th to 16th or whatever
This year Billy Horschel gets to sit at the top month after month due to winning a limited field match play event in America because it happened to be a wgc Not his fault he’s leading of course but his last regular ET event was back in 2019

Not the first time this happens and it kinda devalues the whole RTD

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not worth its own thread.. Do you reckon putting the Korda sisters together (again) for the first two rounds of the US Open gives them any sporting advantage or does playing with family not make any difference at that level?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not worth its own thread.. Do you reckon putting the Korda sisters together (again) for the first two rounds of the US Open gives them any sporting advantage or does playing with family not make any difference at that level?
As much a disadvantage as an advantage. It depends on their relationship. Will they concentrate less, will it make it feel like less of a Major for them? As a fellow pro, obviously I'm not, I would not be worried by them being paired but I get your point.