2021 Professional Golf Thread

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Pretty much everything wrong with golf at the moment is the time it takes. The talk is of building 6 hole courses, so people can get a golf fix in in less time. This is total bollocks. Golf, in 4s, 3 hours tops, in 2s, 2 hours. There is zero reason for golf to need 6 hole courses except copying the crap you see on telly.

eddie_1878

Visit site
Watching someone replace their ball marker 3/4 times, constantly reset to re-read the putt...again, makes for pretty painful viewing. Add a bunch of classless yanks shouting nonsense after every strike in order to get heard on telly, makes it almost unwatchable.

I’m all for time limits on shots once the coast is deemed clear by the match referee. Works fine for ball searching.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Pretty much everything wrong with golf at the moment is the time it takes. The talk is of building 6 hole courses, so people can get a golf fix in in less time. This is total bollocks. Golf, in 4s, 3 hours tops, in 2s, 2 hours. There is zero reason for golf to need 6 hole courses except copying the crap you see on telly.

With an empty course in front of you, -Yes.
With courses busy, and catering for all sorts and standards, - be realistic.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
But what's the rush? It's not as if the course is all backing up.
Irrelevant. Just because the course is empty makes no difference.

They’re just taking too long over each shot. It’s painful and irritating to watch. I’d they can’t speed up when it’s a match play then how can they do it in stroke play on the “regular” events where slow play makes rounds drag like a seals ringpiece

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

2 hours for a 2 ball? Comical.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My goof grief - watching Horschel play is agonising...dreadfully slow and a complete turn-off. But between the two of them I can‘t be bothered watching this.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
They're on an empty golf course, they can take as long as they need ............................ in my opinion.
As long as they finish before dark and before the bar shuts.
Different scenario if it were on a busy day, obviously.

other than people are watching on tv as entertainment. Two blokes staring at yardage books on a tee theyve been playing all week and twice today is dull. Whats worse, is that other golfers think this speed is ok and do it on busy courses.

Turned off to watch “Line of duty”.... won’t be turning it back on

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
This is making my eyes bleed - I’m out. For me Herschel’s palavor over every shot is a total farce - even the commentators are getting fed up with all the debate and discussion the players are having.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
If the course was empty that would be doable. I’d probably say 2h15 to 2h20 is about right though.

It probably is. But you would be rushing round which isn't exactly an enjoyable way to play golf.

2:15 to 2:30 is a nice pace if playing well.

It also depends on the course too. Playing a 6k yard wide open goat track is a different proposition to a 6.8/7k tight course with penal rough.