2 Thumb Putter Grip

T

thecraw

Has anyone tried the Monty style 2 thumb putter grip? I was reading the blurb on these and in all honesty the reasoning and thinking behind the product does make sense.

I was thinking on buying one to try it. I will try anything to improve/get more consistancy from my putting.

Thoughts.................

B

birdieman

These have been around for good while now and they're not being seen on tour in any significant number. Monty has always been a poor putter (by professional standards) so will try anything.
Why not give them a try but to be frank the grip looks very heavy which will give you less feel of the other end of the putter.
I would try cack handed with a normal putter before I'd use the 2 thumb.

Putting ain't that hard, people put a lot of pressure on themselves which causes tension, you need to firstly relax then during the stroke keep the putter low to the ground, always follow through(don't jab) and keep your eyes over the ball and don't look at the hole until well after the strike.
It's all confidence really.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I’ve tried it and it takes a bit of getting use to. However, the guy who uses it all the time putts with his eyes shut and it still goes in. I have my own individual grip so it might fit others more easily.

I honestly feel that there are three areas that most people fail with putting. 1 excess movement when stroking the ball. I think it’s important to keep perfectly still. 2 the eyes, subconsciously or otherwise, moving as the ball is struck and 3 too loose a stance. Most amateurs, not that I’m a pro, tend to stand over their putts like they stand with most other shots.

To alleviate these problems, I believe, you should stand upright and bend over the ball from the hips, keeping your legs fairly straight. Try and keep your wrists from breaking down, in other words putt from your shoulders not by using the wrists. And finally, in my opinion the most important part of putting, don’t look at the ball. Look at a blade of grass directly behind the ball centre line, obviously keeping a space between the ball and the putter face. Focus on the blade of grass when you putt as this will help stop you from taking your eye away too early when making the stroke. If you look at the ball when putting your eye can follow the ball when it’s struck without even knowing it. That usually results in missed putts to the left.

Just something to try.

T

thecraw

And I have always been a poor/streaky putter for a five/four handicap.

The theory behind this looks quite simple so I have just bought one and will fit it, give it a try and report back. Watch this space.............

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
KJ Choi swears by one also. I would like to try one but absolutely love the grip on my new bettinardi putter so it won't be any time soon. My putting is going reasonably well at the moment so I shall not be purchasing one just yet.

Let us know how you get on with it.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was thinking on buying one to try it. I will try anything to improve/get more consistancy from my putting.

Thoughts.................

I'd say it's worth a try. I'm amazed by how many good players claim to be "not so hot" at putting. I mostly take 34 or 35 putts and would love to be on 32 for a round. A game within a game, for sure. If I could hole everything from 6-8 foot, I'd be off 4 less.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
TOMO21...that was quite deep and thought provoking!
But think that I'll stick to looking down on my lovely new pingi grip on my lovely new ping putter(which has arrived early)
Appreciate your reasoning though!
I'll pobably be trying this out by Feb/march!!!!LOL

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I tried one on a putter my pro had but to be honest I didn't really feel any significant difference. My new Itsy Bitsy is doing the business pretty well and I have an hours putting lesson booked for the new year so I should be hot to trot on decent spring/summer greens

ricardodaintino

Head Pro
Visit site
I tried one at the golf show, all the theory supports it, but it just felt so alien. I know this is true of any grip change but I prefer my normal grip.

I think the company who makes them get the most of their income from the yips. Once it starts going wrong people will try anything to see putts dropping again.

I think testing a few different putters with varied head styles and weights may be better for your game.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I tried this in a golf shop recently.

No. Defo no. So much was wrong with it, I don't even know where to start.

If I was playing against someone with one of these, my first thought would be, that's handy, he can't putt.

dandpl

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi

I have had one for about 6 months and I would descibe my putting as the best part of my 10 handicap game!

I do not use the 2 thumb method but a normal grip seems to work well for me....my putter is about 2 inches shorter than normal which also works well for me even though I stand 6ft tall.

good luck and Merry xmas

T

thecraw

I tried this in a golf shop recently.

No. Defo no. So much was wrong with it, I don't even know where to start.

If I was playing against someone with one of these, my first thought would be, that's handy, he can't putt.

I'd love to play you every week then. The cockier the ego the more humbling the defeat.