2 piece/3 piece

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Not been playing very long and my bad shot is a slice. Been told to avoid 3 piece balls as they are likely to spin more and make my slice worse, but found a TM project A on the course recently and was much straighter using that even though it's a 3 piece.

Anyone any suggestions why? And might it be worth me looking at 3 piece in future? Or is it likely to be just a weird coincidence on one round

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
I hate to say it but it's got little to do with the ball. Your slice is likely due to the relationship between your club face and the path that it's travelling on into the ball. I'd suggest seeing a pro to work it out. Hope you're enjoying your short time in the game so far and go low!!

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
What birdie said. Balls only really differ a few hundredths of revolutions between brands and how many layers of rubbery material.
Strike, path, AoA are the main contributors to spin and the direction the ball will travel.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Poor advice.

Very much depends on the actual ball.

Some 3 piece balls such as the Srixon E6 are designed to produce a much straighter flight.

Some high spin 3 piece balls will slice less with a driver and than a high spin 2 piece ball.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Most balls spin a very similar amount from the driver, within a couple of hundred rpm.
It's the tilting on the spin axis that makes the ball moves right or left and what you do during the swing determines that.
Putting the same "slice swing" on another spin ball may move it a couple of yards further than a low spin ball - insignificant in the scheme of things.

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
Poor advice.

Very much depends on the actual ball.

Some 3 piece balls such as the Srixon E6 are designed to produce a much straighter flight.

Some high spin 3 piece balls will slice less with a driver and than a high spin 2 piece ball.
If your face is open to your path there is a high chance your ball is going right. No ball will save you

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have to agree that there will be minimal difference in the spin generated by both balls. I've been using both types over the winter and see marginal gains in terms of distance from 2 piece (which is why I use them) but both will slice as badly if you put a bad swing on the shot

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You do know that what is written on the box is just rubbish?

My comments come from trying out loads of different balls, often playing one ball against another in practice rounds. The E6 I had difficulty in working the ball compared to what I normally play, B330 RXS.