18th Birthday Present

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Need to call upon the hive mind that is the Golf Monthly Forum for details of what they have bought relatives for an 18th Birthday present. It is for my Nephew and I am looking for something to keep (I normally just buy him FIFA for his playstation every year). Happy to spend a couple of hundred quid. I was thinking a watch or similar but he only wears a smartwatch so a normal one would not get much wear and a couple of hundred quid is not enough to get into the investment level of that market.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I was brought a good quality watch for my 18th by my parents and I still absolutely love it.

Its not my day to day wearer - I also have an apple watch - but on special occasions like weddings etc it comes out to play.

Another suggestion would be a top quality wallet, I know they're becoming a thing of the past but its something he will keep for years?

Alternatively an experience he will never forget? Perhaps one you could share together?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was brought a good quality watch for my 18th by my parents and I still absolutely love it.

Its not my day to day wearer - I also have an apple watch - but on special occasions like weddings etc it comes out to play.

Another suggestion would be a top quality wallet, I know they're becoming a thing of the past but its something he will keep for years?

Alternatively an experience he will never forget? Perhaps one you could share together?

Certainly some good suggestions. Not much I can do on experiences as all he loves is sport and he done almost everything (he plays age level county cricket so gets access to all sorts of things I could never even think of getting tickets for. He was in the chaning rooms for the 100 final etc).

Wallet is a good call. seen a coulple of nice ones around the £100 mark and may get a sold silver coin to go in it that he can cash in or make into something later.

Not a fan of cash or vouchers. That is just me but I never give them.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bitcoins. Thats what the kids want these days! Or Ethereum.

Jokes aside, how about some Crypto starter, maybe look for a crypto event and set him up with a starter fund?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I always find it difficult to buy for nieces and nephews - especially as we don't have kids ourselves so don't know what the latest trends are. Our youngest niece is 7 next month and, as we are nearly 50 years older it is a nightmare to find something.
We also don't like giving cash but it may be a solution for something like driving lessons as I feel a watch or wallet are seen as very old fashioned by kids nowadays, after all, why do you need either when you have a smartphone?:rolleyes:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Watch - Most youngsters don't wear one, they look at their phone

Wallet - contactless payment, whether card or on phone. What's cash to this generation?

The above were all valid in the past but not massively relevant to a modern 18yr old. (I have one at 20, one at 22, so I've been through this)

Go experiences would be my suggestion. Hone in on something he likes to do. I know you said he has done almost everything but really? Executive box tickets for a 20-20 game, one day international etc (if cricket). Equivalent for other sports. If he likes football, take him to a Dortmund match, meant to be a blast.

Stuff is much harder to buy for an 18yr old now, experiences are the way forward, they remember them.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always find it difficult to buy for nieces and nephews - especially as we don't have kids ourselves so don't know what the latest trends are. Our youngest niece is 7 next month and, as we are nearly 50 years older it is a nightmare to find something.
We also don't like giving cash but it may be a solution for something like driving lessons as I feel a watch or wallet are seen as very old fashioned by kids nowadays, after all, why do you need either when you have a smartphone?:rolleyes:

I am in exactly the same position. No kids and Will is my only nephew and only kid on my side of what is a very small family. Sadly diving lessons are a bust as my mum bought him those for his 17th and is buying his first car for his 18th.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Watch - Most youngsters don't wear one, they look at their phone

Wallet - contactless payment, whether card or on phone. What's cash to this generation?

The above were all valid in the past but not massively relevant to a modern 18yr old. (I have one at 20, one at 22, so I've been through this)

Go experiences would be my suggestion. Hone in on something he likes to do. I know you said he has done almost everything but really? Executive box tickets for a 20-20 game, one day international etc (if cricket). Equivalent for other sports. If he likes football, take him to a Dortmund match, meant to be a blast.

Stuff is much harder to buy for an 18yr old now, experiences are the way forward, they remember them.

I would love to go down the experience route but he is so much better connected than I am, he is on a cricket scholarship at Kings Taunton and plays county so has all sorts of connections. He is normally in one box or anotehr for Leicestershire or Notts matches, he gets international tickets the lot and his mates from school are Tigers academy and so he gets club and international rugby tickets. As for football, he supports Rotherham and that is what he does with his uncle on the other side of the family.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would love to go down the experience route but he is so much better connected than I am, he is on a cricket scholarship at Kings Taunton and plays county so has all sorts of connections. He is normally in one box or anotehr for Leicestershire or Notts matches, he gets international tickets the lot and his mates from school are Tigers academy and so he gets club and international rugby tickets. As for football, he supports Rotherham and that is what he does with his uncle on the other side of the family.
He is obviously a great lad, buy him whatever he wants and to hell with the cost! :)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am in exactly the same position. No kids and Will is my only nephew and only kid on my side of what is a very small family. Sadly diving lessons are a bust as my mum bought him those for his 17th and is buying his first car for his 18th.
How about a track day then? Something different from his normal sport.

Older relatives bought my kids 'stuff' for their 18th and they sit in drawers now. Nice gifts but not of interest. That's the danger, you spend good money on something they don't really want.

If you can't think of anything then cash really is the answer. Let them choose what to do with it. Get past the awkwardness, they will probably prefer it.