18 Pars In A Round, in a Major...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just seen it mentioned that Faldo did this in 1987. I have a mate who for every major places a £1 bet that anybody will make a round of 18 pars in that tournament. We usually ridicule him saying it will never happen.

Does anyone know how many times this has occurred since Faldo's one? If it has occurred at all? Is there an online resource for historical stats like this? I want to find out how many times it's happened.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You d think some one must have . Not sure if we can find out.
It sounds more than plausible, but I also feel like there will always be one hole that ruins it, haha.

Googling it only gives you hits about Faldo's round. I could look through all major results if I have a spare FOREVER to do it. But wondered if anyone recalled it happening lately.

Basically, I would love to be able to tell this mate of mine that it hasn't happened since 1987 so he looks really silly, but it must have done at some point. :LOL:

Robin Hood

Visit site
Just seen it mentioned that Faldo did this in 1987. I have a mate who for every major places a £1 bet that anybody will make a round of 18 pars in that tournament. We usually ridicule him saying it will never happen.

Does anyone know how many times this has occurred since Faldo's one? If it has occurred at all? Is there an online resource for historical stats like this? I want to find out how many times it's happened.
Great question👍
Statistically it could happen again soon.
Think I might try that bet.
What sort of odds does he get ?

D

Deleted member 1147

According to a quick google search Jeez Milka Singh di it to win the Austria Open in 2008 (which isn't a Major, of course)

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
It sounds more than plausible, but I also feel like there will always be one hole that ruins it, haha.

Googling it only gives you hits about Faldo's round. I could look through all major results if I have a spare FOREVER to do it. But wondered if anyone recalled it happening lately.

Basically, I would love to be able to tell this mate of mine that it hasn't happened since 1987 so he looks really silly, but it must have done at some point. :LOL:
Oof you'd have to go hole by hole as there will have been tons of level par rounds .

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Is it actually that plausible. Not so much to win a tournament but for a tour pro to do it. I would expect most would manage a birdie (par fives being the obvious choice) and maybe a dropped shot somewhere in a round. I think its actually going to be hard for them to shoot nothing but par on each hole

D

Deleted member 1147

Is it actually that plausible. Not so much to win a tournament but for a tour pro to do it. I would expect most would manage a birdie (par fives being the obvious choice) and maybe a dropped shot somewhere in a round. I think its actually going to be hard for them to shoot nothing but par on each hole
Faldo did it at the Open, Singh did it in Austria, so yes it’s plausible 🙄

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Faldo did it at the Open, Singh did it in Austria, so yes it’s plausible 🙄
But aside from those two over the thousands of rounds played since on the ET alone it seems a very difficult thing for a tour pro to achieve given none would deliberately go out to make par on each hole. I can see it being a rarity and would be surprised if it happened again soon

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I remember Scott Jamieson doing this on a European Tour event. I think he ended up doing 22 or 23 consecutive.

Was probably 4 or 5 years ago now. I'm sure he tweeted saying he'd not done it in a pro event.

Surprising how uncommon it is. But I guess scoring average has probably been reducing over the years and it is now almost unheard of that a player will not make at least 1 birdie, even if they are playing well and go bogey free.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In the 1920's Ben Sayers was talking to a rich American who asked him what he normally scored around North Berwick,
Sayers replied '4's' meaning 72.
A bet was struck that Sayers could not get a four at all the 18 holes. Sayers won.
Mind you he would have been pretty miffed if he got a hole in one.:love:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
In the 1920's Ben Sayers was talking to a rich American who asked him what he normally scored around North Berwick,
A bet was struck that Sayers could not get a four at all the 18 holes. Sayers won.

I did that at Fereneze in a junior medal. 18 x 4's. Missed a putt from 18" on the 14th for my par (3) and after we had finished my mate accused me of missing it on purpose!

Lol. Just a poor putt.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site

No doubt he intentionally fluffed some putts along the way. Cheat!