150 Yard Markers

PAULIEG

Visit site
Hello all,

New to this forum but have been reading Golf Monthly for the majority of teenage and adult life, give or take an absence of 15 years or so whilst in my late teens and twenties! Now been playing again for two years, got the handicap back down to 10, moving in the right direction, got to grips with modern equipment and pleased that I'll never have to embarrass myself with an old school 1 iron again and am completely hooked on the game for the second time in my life.

Anyway, a question I've been wanting to ask which never occurred to me in my former golfing life: If you drew an imaginary line between the 150 yard markers would it be in a crescent shape (think yardage cards), ie. meaning that each marker was 150 yards and any point on the fairway at 150 yardswould be behind the markers or would the line be straight and therefore simply indicate that a position level with the markers in the centre of the fairway was actually 150 yards from the pin?

Hope that makes sense to someone. Appreciate it could sound as clear as mud.

Thanks,

Paulie G

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Usually the measuring point would be from the centre of the fairway directly between the 2 markers. Assuming a 30 yard wide fairway, the position of the marker posts would be only a couple of yards out. Unless you are a pro, it's not worth worrying about.

Welcome to the forum btw.

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our markers are imbedded into the middle of the fairway so I just assumed it was exactly 150 from that marker? Oh and I'm also assuming it's 150 to the centre of the green rather than the pin?

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Usually it will be to the centre of the green although on some courses it will be to the front edge. The score card will normally tell you. The hole can be in different places on the green so the yardage posts would have to be moved every time the hole was moved.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Paulie , good to have ya on board , mad but good bunch on here . id say if you draw an imaginary straight line between the markers & you hit it 150ish yards straight , you be in good position.. Remember to check the card tho coz if it is yards to the front & say the pin is at the back you could be facing 150 to the green but 170-180 to the pin ..

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
most courses will be measured down the centre of the fairway, I doubt any will bother with calculating offset positions for the markers. of course in a good few cases (too many) the markers will have suffered from creep and will be +/- anyway.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I dread to think what how far most "150" markers actually measure to the centre of the green. A few of the GPS users on here have recounted some horror stories about the discrepancies. Typical scenario: greenkeper has to pull it out to work round that area, then shoves in back in "about" where it should be... multiply by a few occasions and who knows there they end up.

Jonny

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I recall one story from a north london club I know where the 150 markers were placed at the point an old half dead ex captain would hit a 5 iron. Apparently they paid no attention to the contour of the land so some ended up 120 yards away and others were up to 175 away.

Chaos when playing that track for the first time.

Next purchase I made? A laser.