15 year old irons vs 2 year old irons

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Does it really matter what age they are, if they work and your golf is consistent surely that is a strong enough argument ?
I haven't bought a new club for a couple of seasons, too busy now and actually content with my set up. I did buy a new stand bag though ... Massive improvement to my game.
I agree entirely. I'm taking them to Ireland, as my clubs there are a set of Cobra shovels with graphite shafts, and I can't get on with them.
I love my Pings though, so no way I'd look to replace them.
A new bag will ALWAYS improve your game - I thought everyone knew that ;)

michaeljpoole

Medal Winner
Visit site
I finally decided to upgrade my 15 year old Maxfli Revolution to a set of Titlelist AP2 712s last year. To be honest i agree with the OP. The difference isn't as large as I would have expected. Don't get me wrong i love my 712s but either the Maxfli's were ahead of their time or the difference isn't as big as we are lead to believe. One thing I like about the 712's is that they haven't jacked the lofts. They are the same as my Maxfli's were. I'd say there is slightly more distance and consistency for miss hits but its definitely not as large as you expect.

In fact as I live in Hong Kong I keep an set of clubs in the UK when I go back. These are now my maxfli's and i can't complain with the performance of them

Either way it had been 15 years and i wanted new irons so I in no way regret my decision to change

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yup my King Cobra II's are 15 yrs old and still the irons I'd take to the range for practice (even though they don't get on the course) and it is all about the forgiveness on the off-center shots compared to my new irons

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My Dad decided he wasn't going to bother with golf any more having never really played more than 6 round in his life. So he gave me back my old Golden Bear irons.
Thought I'd take the 6 iron up to the range last night to see if it was okay.
Turns out it's only about 5 yards shorter than my i25

120 yards with an old 6 iron like that is pretty impressive Simon
;)

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Interesting that you only saw a few yards difference. I'd have thought the newer shafts would have been more golfer friendly as would the sweetspot. Interesting that there was nothing in it. Perhaps play a round with the full set and get a more accurate reflection with proper balls etc

Many of the steel shafts used in irons have been around for donkey's years, including Dynamic Gold. I tried out various graphite shafts during a Ping fitting session and according to the fitter and the Flightscope, they increased my dispersion with little gain in length, and of course cost more. Lightweight regular steel shafts seemed to suit me best.

I have some 35 year old Titleist clubs with traditional lofts. Played with them for a couple of months earlier this year, and found that loft for loft they hit the ball about the same distance as my almost latest tech Taylor Made irons. It was just that you might need a 5-iron to hit the same distance as the TM 7-iron, but then the lofts and shaft lengths were actually pretty similar! It's all down to the physics of golf. A longer shafted club with less loft will hit the ball further, all other factors being equal. That is the route the manufacturers have gone down. Gives them the opportunity to flog you a few gap wedges as well, due to the huge gap between the Sand Iron and the modern Pitching Wedge!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well I've got a knock arranged for the weekend and I'm going to be out with my old clubs - 30yr old Wilson Staffs, 10yr old Callaway Steelhead III driver and 30yr old Acushnet Bullseye putter. As I haven't hit the irons for nearly ten years and the driver for at least 5 - I think I'll go to local range tonight and hit a few balls else it could be embarrassing.

Last edited:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well I've got a knock arranged for the weekend and I'm going to be out with my old clubs - 30yr old Wilson Staffs, 10yr old Callaway Steelhead III driver and 30yr old Acushnet Bullseye putter. As I haven't hit the irons for nearly ten years and the driver for at least 5 - I think I'll go to local range tonight and hit a few balls else it could be embarrassing.

We can sing a duet , ANY OLD IRONS :rofl:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We can sing a duet , ANY OLD IRONS :rofl:

My singing is as rusty as the irons...

Your 1984 Wilson x31+ irons seem to just predate my 1985 Wilson Staff Fluid Feels :)

Though as I bought mine second hand (really as new) in 1985 they are probably 1984 or pre-84 vointage

Last edited: