15 year old irons vs 2 year old irons

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
My Dad decided he wasn't going to bother with golf any more having never really played more than 6 round in his life. So he gave me back my old Golden Bear irons, which I'll take over to the in-laws in Ireland.
Thought I'd take the 6 iron up to the range last night to see if it was okay.
Turns out it's only about 5 yards shorter than my i25, and no harder to hit. Flies about the same and everything.
So, wonder if all this marketing hype really should be believed? ;)

daverollo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The main difference is likely to be the loft. What most manufacturers have done in the last few years is strengthen the lofts of the clubs. What used to be a 3iron 20+ years ago, is more like a 5 iron in todays bag. Partly why more sets are sold from 4i-PW or 5i-PW.

All part of their marketing that their clubs are longer than the next set, when all they have done is reduce the loft and make it a longer club!

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
for sure you'll get incremental help with more modern irons

you hit center all of the time with older irons the drop off won't be that big - you miss center by 1/4" then the drop of with the older irons from possible distance will be a ways greater than 1/4" miss with the newer irons

in the newer game improvement even a bunch irons for 'better' players lofts are stronger because the cg has been allowed to be placed lower in the club head which makes it easier for folks to get the ball up in the air and flight it with a higher launch so the lofts lowered to stop stalling, plus the use of tungsten toe weighting has helped move the cg sweetspot little further away from the hosel - always good for a good bunch of folks

'old money' irons you had to strike nearer the heel to find the sweetspot

Bratty

Visit site
The main difference is likely to be the loft. What most manufacturers have done in the last few years is strengthen the lofts of the clubs. What used to be a 3iron 20+ years ago, is more like a 5 iron in todays bag. Partly why more sets are sold from 4i-PW or 5i-PW.

All part of their marketing that their clubs are longer than the next set, when all they have done is reduce the loft and make it a longer club!
But weirdly, there's only around 5 or possibly 10 yards difference between the 6 irons. I was expecting far more due to loft increases.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk

Come in Delc! I personally think it's more to do with the fact that low lofted clubs are much easier to hit now & if the manufacturers called a 4 iron a 2 iron nobody would buy them.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My 1989 irons are still working absolutely fine!

An Del is probably still out turning over leaves trying to find lost balls - before making his way home through the immigrant rush-hour of course!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Pal of mine wanted some old/new ping eye 2's or summat like that when he started playing again. He played with them years ago. Was gonna go up to the ping factory and pick them up. When he was quoted about £110 each he said sod it. And took my advice and bought a set off eBay for about £100. he loved them. Till he went for a lesson
when he turned up the pro said " do you know what year it is".
bottom line is the pro said there's nowt wrong with them, it's just there not as forgiving as " new shiny gear" and higher hcap players are gonna beat you.
he had a play with some other clubs and eventually bought a last years set of callaways for £250 and loves them

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Interesting that you only saw a few yards difference. I'd have thought the newer shafts would have been more golfer friendly as would the sweetspot. Interesting that there was nothing in it. Perhaps play a round with the full set and get a more accurate reflection with proper balls etc

Bratty

Visit site
Interesting that you only saw a few yards difference. I'd have thought the newer shafts would have been more golfer friendly as would the sweetspot. Interesting that there was nothing in it. Perhaps play a round with the full set and get a more accurate reflection with proper balls etc

I'll be doing that in January in Ireland, Homer.
If I remember, I'll feed it back! :D

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ive used my old carbon shafted Wilson X 31 + since 1984
. Ive tried my mates new TPs a few times and the difference is around 10/15 yards max. But the duffs go about the same distance.:confused:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does it really matter what age they are, if they work and your golf is consistent surely that is a strong enough argument ?
I haven't bought a new club for a couple of seasons, too busy now and actually content with my set up. I did buy a new stand bag though ... Massive improvement to my game.