15 clubs

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
A mate of mine (not me, seriously) has just discovered he has had 15 clubs in his bag, for.............. a year.

He D/Q'ed himself from a knock out comp on Thursday when he found out.

He bought a new Adams cart bag a year ago, and it has 14 slots, and a putter well. It hadn't occured to him to count them, as why would there be room for more than 14? So he filled them up.

I'm sure I have lost money to him sometime over the last 12 months. I want a refund.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I presume he hadn't won any medals etc during that time. It's funny though. I've never liked those bags wih a hole for each club and hate even more those that have an external well for the putter. Isn't the putter good enough to be housed with the others. Its discrimination just because the putter is shorter and flatter.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
He D/Q'ed himself from a knock out comp on Thursday when he found out.

Why did he do that? If the breach was discovered after more than 2 holes had been played, the maximum penalty in matchplay is the loss of 2 holes. On discovering the breach then he could have declared one of the clubs out of play. If he didn't do so at that stage, then he would have been d/q.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I presume he hadn't won any medals etc during that time. It's funny though. I've never liked those bags wih a hole for each club and hate even more those that have an external well for the putter. Isn't the putter good enough to be housed with the others. Its discrimination just because the putter is shorter and flatter.

I find the external putter well in my wilson bag very handy....I use a TM itsy bitsy as most know is a mallet....It easily takes up the space of 4 clubs if its in one of the internal holders.....
I only put it inside when transporting the clubs...It goes in the outside when im playing....Much handier and its not marking any other clubs......
There's still no excuse for having an extra club though....If you've got more than the alotted 14 at home and change the odd one periodically then you should be checking regular that your not over the quota......

I do admire the mans honesty though in D/Quing himself....It says alot about his character. :cool:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
He DQ'ed by phone after the event.

Adam? win a medal? No. He's won zip for years.

Great guy though.

Still not sure why anyone would design a bag with slots for 15 sticks. Ping do it too. My Dad uses the spare one for his ball retreiver. Ping players, don't you just love 'em.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I use the spare one for my putter if it's raining enough to put the raincover on the bag, as the putter sits outside it and gets wet in the putter well.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I've never liked those bags wih a hole for each club and hate even more those that have an external well for the putter.

Personally I would never buy a bag that didn't have an external putter well.
I lost count of how many times my bloody head cover came off my putter with the last bag I had without one meaning many a trek back up the fairway.

My current bag has 14 slots but one of them is for the umbrella (clearly marked).
But I guess if you were thick you could mistake it for a club pocket.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Now, what can you possibly fit into the 15th slot :) :) :)

Anything you want, alignment sticks, ball retriever, and at a pinch, some sort of heavily plugged water divining instrument with no practical use at all?

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
come on murph, you're a designer. what's easier, dividing a space into an even or odd number. don't think I've ever seen a 13 holer.

the putter well on mine is far too shallow for a putter and the tube just takes up space in the cool compartment.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
my taylor made stand bag is only the 7 dividers, but the one at the rear is perfect for a mallet style putter, sits nicely behind the woods with no contact to shafts etc.

i agree with tommo, he had 14 in he's old bag so if he ended up with 15 id be asking for some of the winnings back the cheating........

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I don't know how many he had in his old bag, but like many, he has a cupboard full of spares to mix things up with. It is a bit dippy, but heck, is easy enough to make a mistake. I just thought it funny he has got away with it for so long, without noticing.

I still don't get why a manufacturer would make a bag that takes exactly 15 clubs. It is pointless. Both Ping, and Adams do the same.