14th Club?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a 24* 4 iron and an 18* hybrid, I have never thought about it before but maybe a 21* hybrid could fill the gap!

Should I go iron style as I hit the 4 iron well off the tee and OK off the deck. The current hybrid is about the same.

The 4i goes about 165/170 and the hybrid 190-200, it is a huge gap in my yardages and needs a 180 club. (Distances from a range with Toptracer).

So here is my question, if I get a 22 degree as some dont do that loft, will the 22 be OK due to the longer shaft and being graphite vs steel irons?

Thanks for the input!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Want to hit the 18 180 yards grip lower down

Want to hit the 4 iron 180 yards close the club face and allow for the hook

:):)

or

Get a hybrid where you can adjust the loft and work which loft works best for you. I find the Titleist one I have the best adapter for not overly changing the club face angle when the loft is changed. Callaway adapters seem to use the same method.

I saw this today
https://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acatalog/Callaway-Big-Bertha-Golf-Hybrid.html#SID=213

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If ur hitting a 4I 165 you probably aren't launching it anywhere near high enough.

I'd ditch it and go.

18* h
23h
27h
Then into whatever iron is next.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If ur hitting a 4I 165 you probably aren't launching it anywhere near high enough.

Sounds good advice there, I will ask my pro about the 4i height thing as I didn’t think it was an issue as it lines up with all my carry distances from PW upwards.

I can’t afford to buy lots of new clubs so I can’t follow your advice. I have to stick with mostly what I have. I think I can squeeze in a purchase of a second hand club under £100 this year though.

I am looking at a 21* but I have given up buying online and will have to wait for access to the range to find one that carries 180 like I need.

evemccc

Visit site
Use ProV1X if you don’t already

They are good for distance and high flight, which could be good to eek out some more 4i yardages

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sounds good advice there, I will ask my pro about the 4i height thing as I didn’t think it was an issue as it lines up with all my carry distances from PW upwards.

I can’t afford to buy lots of new clubs so I can’t follow your advice. I have to stick with mostly what I have. I think I can squeeze in a purchase of a second hand club under £100 this year though.

I am looking at a 21* but I have given up buying online and will have to wait for access to the range to find one that carries 180 like I need.

You could likely pick these up for a song and would work well for you.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193865856231

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
You could likely pick these up for a song and would work well for you.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193865856231

That’s the business! Thanks! You think I will be OK with regular? Everything else I have is in stiff flex.

I think this is the little change to get me closer to breaking 80 this summer, I only play off the yellows but it would still mean something to me.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That’s the business! Thanks! You think I will be OK with regular? Everything else I have is in stiff flex.

I think this is the little change to get me closer to breaking 80 this summer, I only play off the yellows but it would still mean something to me.

You will be absolutely fine. I've used both reg and stiff in woods and hybrids down the years. You shouldn't have any problems.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It depends what you want from it. If you hit the irons well why not try a 3i? Very versatile in the wind off the tee or long approach shots, only down side is playing from the first cut. Hybrid would be better from that sort of lie but obviously less useful in the wind.

I tried the mph5 3 iron and loved it off the tee and fairway, just preferred my 3h (20*) from scruffy lies. The shaft in the 3i for me wasn’t correct but once I’ve sold the current one on, I’ll look for another with the right spec shaft and bounce between the two as I definitely see the advantage of it being in the bag

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
It depends what you want from it. If you hit the irons well why not try a 3i?

I have a 3 iron and although I can hit it well I would like to try a hybrid. I think it will fill the gap better than the 3 iron does for me. My hope is to compare them on the range and find which ends up staying in the bag, hence the low budget and want to go 2nd hand.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If it’s about a hybrid, you can pick up clubs like the Adam’s a12 pro very cheap. Good spec shafts as standard, a slimmer more iron style head (like the apex hybrid) without the more conversional mini wood hybrid head, and great loft options. I had them in the bag for years, recently changed to cally apexs but they are almost the same club. The 18* was an absolute beast off the tee