14* Driver

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I met up with an old buddy last week who plays with older clubs. His driver was a Benross max 14*, he let me use it on a dog leg hole that requires a fade/slice. I hit my usual out to in swing only to see the ball sail into the trees with a baby fade

I tried it on another hole with oob left and trees right and it went arrow straight, lovely

Anyone know why a higher lofted driver seems to minimise side spinner must get one

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Simple physics.

The effective spin axis is a function of all the spin - put another way the more back spin applied the lower impact any side spin element will have.

The higher the club loft the higher the spin loft (everything else being constant)

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I play a thirteen degree driver and can flight it in either direction.

The secret is that subtle swing changes won't work. The side spin will be somewhat mitigated by the ball wanting to take backspin.

You have to go way outside-in to hit a banana slice around a dogleg.

For a hook, a higher loft driver is actually an advantage because hooks tend to fly lower and could hit rather than scale a stand of trees.

Still have to hood the face just a tad and go inside-out, though.

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can imagine everything is accentuated but good for straight shots. Might consider 2 drivers in the bag keep the high loft for tight fairways

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I met up with an old buddy last week who plays with older clubs. His driver was a Benross max 14*, he let me use it on a dog leg hole that requires a fade/slice. I hit my usual out to in swing only to see the ball sail into the trees with a baby fade

I tried it on another hole with oob left and trees right and it went arrow straight, lovely

Anyone know why a higher lofted driver seems to minimise side spinner must get one

Duncan's covered it

My dad had an md at 15 I think. He didn't have the swing speed to launch a lower lofted driver. Had to tape over the loft to get him to try it mind you.

There was a few mini driver 3 wood type things but they were mainly low spinning which doesnt necessarily suit lower swing speeds as in my dads case, but may suit some. The low launch tended to make them not gr8 off the deck especially without a high swing speed.

Also the huge head on drivers these days makes them hard to miss compated to a 3 wood if you tee it up high and with enough loft and a decent shaft length very easy to manage.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I've got a cheapo Bang-O-Matic 14º driver--got it years ago when the 460cc driver first came out.
Hit it foul pole to foul pole to use baseball parlance, and sadly, most fairways have only a center field.
Wouldn't judge a premium brand model by that, but I don't hit any 460 well, high loft or not.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It's in very good condition about 15 years old and definitely not for sale.
You can still get them on Ebay occasionally but they are getting quite rare, especially in 12 degrees (also comes with 14 degrees)