14.7b

mini_me

www.spreadshirt.co.uk
Any simple way of explaining this rule.

If a second ball was played, all strokes with that ball (including strokes made and any penalty strokes solely from playing that ball) do not count.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does this way of reading the story help?

14.7b(1)
Player Must Decide Whether to Play Out Hole with Ball Played from Wrong Place or to Correct the Mistake by Playing from Right Place.
  • What to Do If Uncertain Whether Breach Is Serious. The player should play out the hole with both the ball played from a wrong place and a second ball played from a right place under the Rules.
14.7b(2)
Player Who Tries to Correct Mistake Must Report to Committee.
If the player tries to correct the mistake under (1) by playing a ball from a right place:
  • This applies whether the player played out the hole with only that ball or with two balls (and even if the player scores the same with both balls).
14.7b(3)
  • No Serious Breach.
    • If a second ball was played, all strokes with that ball (including strokes made and any penalty strokes solely from playing that ball) do not count.

mini_me

www.spreadshirt.co.uk
Does this way of reading the story help?

14.7b(1)
Player Must Decide Whether to Play Out Hole with Ball Played from Wrong Place or to Correct the Mistake by Playing from Right Place.
  • What to Do If Uncertain Whether Breach Is Serious. The player should play out the hole with both the ball played from a wrong place and a second ball played from a right place under the Rules.
14.7b(2)
Player Who Tries to Correct Mistake Must Report to Committee.
If the player tries to correct the mistake under (1) by playing a ball from a right place:
  • This applies whether the player played out the hole with only that ball or with two balls (and even if the player scores the same with both balls).
14.7b(3)
  • No Serious Breach.
    • If a second ball was played, all strokes with that ball (including strokes made and any penalty strokes solely from playing that ball) do not count.
No I’m a bit confused as to how the committee can rule on a serious breach. Don’t get this either.
  • No Serious Breach.

• If a second ball was played, all strokes with that ball (including strokes made and any penalty strokes solely from playing that ball) do not count.I maybe over thinking it though.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
No I’m a bit confused as to how the committee can rule on a serious breach. Don’t get this either.
  • No Serious Breach.
    • If a second ball was played, all strokes with that ball (including strokes made and any penalty strokes solely from playing that ball) do not count.I maybe over thinking it though.
They use the definition of Serious Breach in the rules

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
They’ll examine the facts of where you played from and where the correct place was and decide if you gained a significant advantage. Examples might be playing from the wrong side of a penalty area that gives you an easier/shorter shot or from a spot that gave you a better line of sight. Not a serious breach might be if you had moved your ball marker a few inches to the side but not closer the hole and forgot to replace it.

mini_me

www.spreadshirt.co.uk
So am I right in saying it’s ok to play the wrong ball and finish the hole with that ball if you feel that you were at a disadvantage in doing so and add two penalty strokes and if you not sure if you gained an advantage you would have to play two balls and the Committee will decide which score stands ??

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
No, that's not right. If you play the wrong ball in stroke play, you incur a penalty of two strokes and must correct that mistake before teeing off on the next hole or you would be DQ. There are very, very few instances where the score achieved with a wrong ball could count as your score for the hole.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
So am I right in saying it’s ok to play the wrong ball and finish the hole with that ball if you feel that you were at a disadvantage in doing so and add two penalty strokes and if you not sure if you gained an advantage you would have to play two balls and the Committee will decide which score stands ??
You are confusing playing a wrong ball with playing from a wrong place

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
No, that's not right. If you play the wrong ball in stroke play, you incur a penalty of two strokes and must correct that mistake before teeing off on the next hole or you would be DQ. There are very, very few instances where the score achieved with a wrong ball could count as your score for the hole.
The only time I'm aware of, that a hole can be completed with a wrong ball and count, is in singles match play where players have swapped balls and played at the same time.
The obvious exception would be when a player has played a a wrong ball but didn't realise it until after the competition was closed - but that hardly counts 🤔
If there are any others I would love to hear them (to add to quiz questions!)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just to clarify? Posts 6 & 7 seem to have changed tack to "wrong ball", whereas the thread started out as "wrong place". I suspect a "mis-phrasing" occurred in post 6 as Rulie's answer in 7 is correct as regards "wrong ball".

Edit: Doh... further answers popped up whilst I was typing.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just to clarify? Posts 6 & 7 seem to have changed tack to "wrong ball", whereas the thread started out as "wrong place". I suspect a "mis-phrasing" occurred in post 6 as Rulie's answer in 7 is correct as regards "wrong ball".

Edit: Doh... further answers popped up whilst I was typing.
Good job they've simplified the Rules, eh?