13th @ The Addington

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Easy hole! Lay up, chip on and no more than 2 putts. 2 (or sometimes 3 points) ta very much.(y)
Got to get close with the chip though with the contours on that green :confused:

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
They've done so much work over rather last year, and it will look amazing in a couple more years. At present, so much of the course is gur with free relief all over the place. Which helps! ?

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Another easy hole if you play it sensibly. Lay up short of the drop and trouble, sensible iron/hybrid to the bottom of the up slope, wedge to the pin and one putt. Birdie thanks very much.(y)

Actually did that twice within 10 days a few :)unsure:) years ago. Never repeated though. Flippin' 2 putts :mad:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I agree with papas. For me the beauty of the course was the isolation of each hole, the feeling that the complete course was yours. I caddied that course for 5/6 years as a kid and I just don’t get the appeal of the course as it.

That being said I get it’s a work in progress so will try not to judge until I play it in a few years once the work has settled.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Huge improvement. Return hole to as it was designed to be played. Trees seemed like a good idea 30-40yrs ago, these same trees now encroach and cause drainage issues and prevent wind and sun getting into fairways and greens to dry and grow. Plus from a golfing perspective when I go off track I want to have options for my next shot/recovery.

Tree-lined fairways often provide little in the way of options other than a hit out sideways. Better to penalise through lie (heather here) and provide either a simple recovery and play for chip and putt, low risk chance of reward; or a tricky shot to the green from the difficult lie, with protection to green to be overcome - high risk high reward.

D

Deleted member 21258

Looks great.

With so many clubs clearing trees nowadays for a number of valid reasons, anyone know the reason why going back, why so many golf clubs allowed trees to grow or planted trees ? (was it to tougher up the courses?)

D

Deleted member 15344

It does look better in the pictures but I can’t remember the whole when we played it

Heard a lot of good things about the course but have to say it was one that I was disappointed with when we played it

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The EastRen members on here will attest to the pros and cons of a major tree planting programme - with that moorland course it was done late 1970s, early 1980s…I remember it before, as I was a member, and know it more recently.

sunshine

Visit site
Looks great.

With so many clubs clearing trees nowadays for a number of valid reasons, anyone know the reason why going back, why so many golf clubs allowed trees to grow or planted trees ? (was it to tougher up the courses?)

I'm not an agronomist, but I've heard that there was a school of thought that planting trees would help drainage as the roots suck up water. This was popular in the 60s-80s and has since been thoroughly debunked. Plus the idea that trees created separation to isolate holes and make them more attractive.

sunshine

Visit site
Wow. So much better.

I played the Addington a couple of years ago and I was pretty disappointed considering its high ranking. Conditioning was well below par, this tree clearance programme will help no end.

4LEX

Visit site
Amazing improvement. Too many courses got lazy and let trees overrun them. They take away the essence of how the course was designed. It's brilliant to see so many of these courses take back control and get rid of thousands of trees.

Of course isolation of holes is great if it can be achieved and work with the original design but a balance needs to be struck. Look at Walton Heath, two world class courses and no one felt the need to plant thousands of trees to isolate each hole!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My club has removed a lot of mature trees from the course over the last 20yrs and the difference to growth and drainage of fairways and greens has been spectacular, as has the return of the heather…which has taken time but now really getting established. And the removals have created some lovely ‘through-views’ and views out.