100 Yard's And In

chrisconwy

Visit site
Hi all,

This is one area i'm going to work on over the coming Winter and I thought I'd gather opinions on how to approach it best.

For a high handicapper like myself; would you recommend The Clock Face (Pelz) System - which would provide the 12 wedge distances or should I try it another way by putting targets (small cones for example) out at 20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90 and 100 yards and see what club/swing combination get's the ball to land at those yardages?

Has anyone tried either or both and which one did you prefer?

PPSHW

Visit site
Hi Chris,

No help but I have this issue - mostly between 80 & 100 yards where I seem to have a gap in my clubs (and ability), so I'm also keen to know how others have worked on this.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
Like you I am a high Hcp (currently 17) and Pitching 100yds and less has been an issue until the middle of this year. However I am getting much much better since I have improved my consistency of strike and pitching swing tempo, so I would, if I was working on this again, start with this by finding a pitching method that suits you and then swinging your PW or GW at different lengths of swing (Not focusing on the distance) until the strike is good at least 45 times out of 50 balls hit.

I then have used the clock face for distance for my PW, GW and LW I only use club head parallel to the ground, club head 10pm and club head 12 O'clock, once I was confident in these distances I can use a little more a little less for some thing in-between but to be hones I am always looking to hit the centre of the green at my level so I don't need to do this often.

As I said I was rubbish until I focused on the quality and consistency of pitching swing and strike, now I have come on leaps and bounds, so much so in recent medal a PP said my Pitching is as good as any < 10 hcp he has played with which was great encouragement.

Targets at such small distances breaks I found to be good fun on the range but on the course as I have said I have just try and hit the centre of the green so 4 clubs PW, 46, 52 and 58 3 swing lengths give me plenty of options

Last edited:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Practicing pitching to different distances will make a big difference... (depending on your current results)

My preference is to be less mechanical and try to develop more feel... yes, I vary length of swing etc, by I am less conscious of "clock face" positions. I try different ball positions to see the result... I also have an idea of what I am trying to do in each scenario as doubt is a killer.

I did say "preference" though... as we all think differently. What works for one doesn't necessarily do for another... but time on the practice ground doing this is a great investment

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd also say that a laser is an essential piece of kit, to be able to get the exact yardage. I carry 4 wedges but it's knowing the exact yardage that helps most.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I tried both Pelz and the Stan Utley styles before settling on the (more predictable distance-wise for me) Pelz style (with PW, 52, 56 and 60* wedges) and, after considerable practice, it worked really well - my handicap dropping 5 shots (12 to 7) in the space of a year. I discontinued the 7:30 swing as too inconsistent

Nowhere near enough practice these days and the swing seems to be more often Utley style (at least the equal back and through). Main problem these days is connection!

I often play with someone who uses Pelz style with 5 wedges. His short game is deadly, which is part of why he is off 5.0, having been cut .3 even with 4 penalty drops/2 doubles!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I use a "sort of" clockface system, but rather than imagining numbers on a clock I have club parallel, left arm parallel and left arm to shoulder height, all with minimal wrist hinge.
My swings might not be where I think they are, but in my head that's what I'm doing and they produce very repeatable carry distances.

So I would say rather than thinking about where to swing to, just find three different swings that you think you can reproduce at any time, and see how far they hit the ball with each club you want to pitch with.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Hi all,

This is one area i'm going to work on over the coming Winter and I thought I'd gather opinions on how to approach it best.

For a high handicapper like myself; would you recommend The Clock Face (Pelz) System - which would provide the 12 wedge distances or should I try it another way by putting targets (small cones for example) out at 20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90 and 100 yards and see what club/swing combination get's the ball to land at those yardages?

Has anyone tried either or both and which one did you prefer?

The key to distance control is repeatable rhythm if you are a higher handicapper I wouldn't over complicate it, pick nice mid distance say 85 yards put your ipod in and stay really smooth and relaxed any wristy flicky parts of your swing will effect the distance.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just an add on - get out on grass or on the course if you can and practice these shots with whatever method you choose. Rarely get a perfect and flat lie, as you do on the range. I could nail these on a flat lie more often than not, but it's very different ball down, on a hill etc etc

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Forgot to to mention....

My advice is to calibrate your distances/swings to actual (average) distances rather than trying to hit to actual ones! You can then adjust to the required distance. I found it easier to reduce the distance of standard swings than to increase it!.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Quite like 100 and in personally.

Just practice though and as mentioned a laser really helps. That way it takes the guess work out

nice easy 5/8 60° lob for me is 50 yards
nice easy 5/8 56° sand for me is 60 yards
nice easy 5/8 50° sand for me is 75 yards

I could go through them all....

then work from there, I have read the Pelz method. But it comes down to one thing and that is practice.

I spent a good bit of time on our practice course marking our distances then working out different ways to get these distances. It all then comes down to your best ratios for shots to get the ball in the hole.

The only way you will find out what is best for you is hitting a lot of balls. Once you can be confident in your distances it makes so much difference to your scores. For me you need to get to the point where once you know your distances. You don't have to work out how hard to hit the ball you just hit it how hard you need to and have faith in your swing.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would avoid using a lob wedge for any distance shots - too tricky to get a consistent strike or distance with them. I keep my 60 deg for bunkers and escape shots.

D

Deleted member 21258

Prior to this year I always just used to play the shoot with feel(ie basically looking at the hole and feel the rhythm and length of swing).

But since August this year I have gone to a kind of clock system with my 60 degree and sand wedge for distances from 15 yards to 80 yards. These are not like my normal swing. And have been amazed at how accurate/consistent it is in comparison. I have slightly different 'trigger'/positions than clock. I also almost keeping my arms straight(no right arm folding) and no wrist hinge at all.

So for instance with my 60 degree upto shin height is 15 yards(carry), upto knee height is 25 yards(carry), upto shoulder height is 45 yard(carry), above shoulder height is about 55 yards(hard to do with a straight right arm btw!). Have a similar thing with sand wedge.

I then concentrate on taking the club back with the clubface facing the target(no arm rotation, arm folding or wrist hinge) and swing it back on the path direction to the target and then hit the little sucker. On the shoulder height swings it does feel a bit weird due to no wrist hinge/cock/arm folder and clubface pointing downwards.

It is surprising how accurate distance and direction that it is and certainly more accurate than what I was doing.:p

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would avoid using a lob wedge for any distance shots - too tricky to get a consistent strike or distance with them. I keep my 60 deg for bunkers and escape shots.

agree with this, i have swished my 60 deg straight under the ball on the tighest of lies. It is unpredictable for when you trying to hit over 20 yards even thought I have practiced it the most.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's an area I've worked hard on, both linear method and a more traditional technique. I don't like the Pelz method, having tried it historically and find I'm too stiff and fixed on the correct place on the clock face. I'm happier working on feel and distance control that way. It something that's getting a lot of attention again over the winter.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always lay up to exactly 93 yds so don't have this issue....

OK - that's rubbish (for a number of reasons) but you really need to separate theory for reality when considering such aspects of the game.

Dealing first with the above - whilst 93 may be the exact distance for one of my clubs the conditions I'm playing, the specific conditions of the shot such as wind and elevation will vary hole by hole and, importantly, greens respond differently on different courses and days. So I'm likely to have to do more than the odd yds of fine tuning to my 93 and I'm back where everyone else is starting.

So the reality that seems overlooked in many responses -
Whilst carry of 60 yds may be a 10 o'clock lob wedge, and 50 may be an 8 o'clock pitching wedge, the ball will react completely differently between the two shots as well as different greens. Before you know it you find the 2 shots above go the same distance!

So, stick to one club, don't over refine the clock face but tweak with the grip. 1 club, 2 positions and 2 grip lengths will give you a massive selection to use. Once you are aiming to carry under 30 yds it's really a matter of letting your unconscious competence do the job - focus on the landing area and let it handle the hard stuff.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I use the pelz method to an extent, left arm parallel to ground and full swings. The 7.30 is a bit hit and miss and generally you're only about 30/40 away anyway and easier just to judge it by eye.
When trying to learn the method pelz advocates don't hit at a target, you're taking the swing length out of the shot and becoming target orrientated meaning that if you set a target at say 80 and hit a 3/4 wedge and it comes up short you're likely to adjust the power/length of the swing to hit the target distance. This defeats the purpose.
Take 25 balls and pick a target 150 yards away purely for direction purposes. Then concentrate on the swing length, I.e. 9pm/left arm parallel to ground and don't even try and gauge what distance you've hit each one. then when you've hit 25 of your regular shots discounting the outliers-ones you hit fat, slice widely etc. Then take the average of those 25 and set that distance as your benchmark. Practice this until you feel confident that you can hit a wedge X yards with a 9pm swing a good percentage of the time on a flat surface, no wind etc etc This sets a baseline distance. Then you learn to adjust that x distance for wind/slope etc.
I'd agree on leaving the 60 wedge as the strike needs to be very good all the time to get a tight dispersion.
Iv used this method Iv described from 7 iron up to 56 degree wedge.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Learn how to hit your mid wedge 50 yds
Then, keeping the same swing, change to Pw for 60 yds, Sw for 40yds etc
Or
Select one or two wedges and learn the clockface system.

I use the clockface system which I learned in the early 70s so it's been around a lot longer than Mr Pelz

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Learn how to hit your mid wedge 50 yds
Then, keeping the same swing, change to Pw for 60 yds, Sw for 40yds etc
Or
Select one or two wedges and learn the clockface system.

I use the clockface system which I learned in the early 70s so it's been around a lot longer than Mr Pelz

This ^^^^^

For under 50 yards use feel and choose a landing spot to let the ball run out from.

Don't try and be too technical or try and have set shots under 50 yards.

I use the wedge to flight and run my shot, sometimes it's even an 8 iron bump!